My combat elite build attempt...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear to that your problems with seams are not as bad as you originally thought. The back plate is looking good. The seams are pretty clean so, you have minimal gap filling.

Right, that was the longest christmas break ever, but back to it now.

I was having major sizing panic and couldn't get the shoulders to look right with paper, and I wasnt gonna waste a couple of foam sheets just trial and error. My mate came round with armoursmith software on his laptop and we sorted the sizing for the whole of the rest of the build. So back at it!

All marked out for the shoulders,

Shoulders built

Overall look (being held in place by the disembodied hand of my son haha.)

Now all I need to do is work out how to attach them. On me, they're not really shoulder pouldrons, more like upper arm covers. I might need to mount them directly to the chest armour rather than my arm. I did this with my odst
But the chest of the elite extends further out over my shoulder than this. Hmmm. There's always some puzzle to solve.

Looks great Joffersmk2, just one observation (disembodied hand excluded), it looks like the helmet is sitting on the chest piece....

Looks great Joffersmk2, just one observation (disembodied hand excluded), it looks like the helmet is sitting on the chest piece....

Cheers Dirtdives,

Yeah, the helmet is a bit front heavy so it keeps dropping onto the chest. When I'm in assembly mode post paintjob I'm gonna attach the back of the helmet to the back of the neck of the chest piece (if that makes any sense), with a piece of elastic and a quick release buckle. Should be able to hide it under some fabric I'm using for the neck.

Here's the full build masking taped together

That's going to make turning your head almost impossible.......what kind of helmet liner do you have?

Maybe you need a true helmet liner. It might raise the helmet a bit off the chest piece, and if the fit is right, you should have some range of motion of your head. Just an idea rather than having to turn you whole body to see what is around you....I had the similar problem when I had to beef up my chest piece. After the helmet liner was installed, I could look around. And it is a pep helmet so the weight is much more than a foams is. Granted, yours is front heavy, but still, not that heavy.

Maybe you need a true helmet liner. It might raise the helmet a bit off the chest piece, and if the fit is right, you should have some range of motion of your head. Just an idea rather than having to turn you whole body to see what is around you....I had the similar problem when I had to beef up my chest piece. After the helmet liner was installed, I could look around. And it is a pep helmet so the weight is much more than a foams is. Granted, yours is front heavy, but still, not that heavy.
Could you link something like you're talking about please Dirtdives? Is it like a motorbike helmet inner?

I used something like this....a hard hat liner...HERE. There are more liners out there....some for motorcycle, some are for bicycles, and yes, you will find some for military helmets, modern and antique restoration. Those would work just as well.

Right. Made plenty of progress over the last week, thighs done, gauntlets done, belt and codpiece done. Unfortunately I've reached my data limit...think my phone photos are too big. Is there a way of lowering the quality on here? Or do I need to delete some pics?

Anyway, the hard hat liner arrived too and I can move the head around easily! Thanks again dirtdives excellent suggestion! I'll try and put a pic up as soon as I work out how to free up more data allowance haha

Lookin' nifty. Are you thinking about something to bulk up your shoulders? Maybe stick a little polyfill between the shoulder plate and your undersuit?

Lookin' nifty. Are you thinking about something to bulk up your shoulders? Maybe stick a little polyfill between the shoulder plate and your undersuit?
Yeah I think I'll put an Eva bridge in to make it sit further out. Needs to be a bit wider for the height I agree.

Been painting like a trojan this week. I'm going to a con on Sunday, originally didn't think I could have it presentable by then but then thought...sod it go 'Hulk smash'.

I've gone for yellow and bronze as you can see. The inspiration being

Not made boots yet, and shins need painting. Then I've to blackwash the whole thing....then add straps....fingers crossed haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back