My First Attempt At Resin / Fiber Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cracker

Jr Member
so here is my 2 shoulder pads of my MK IV.

Right shoulder pad. it has only been "Pepped" so far.

100_4869.jpg

100_4868.jpg

100_4867.jpg

Left Shoulder Pad. Pepped, clear coated, then resined and partially fiber glassed.

100_4866.jpg

100_4865.jpg

100_4872.jpg

100_4871.jpg

100_4870.jpg

was also wondering what kinda ideas you guys had for the detail piece on the right shoulder pad. should i resin/fiber glass both pieces, then glue and bondo them together? or should i glue them together and try to do it all as one piece. or should i cut out the shape of the detail on the shoulder pad and then glue it using some card stock pieces (self made tabs) to reinforce it, then resin/fiberglass it as one? i for one think the third is the easiest, but i was wondering on your guys professional opinion.

Cracker said:
was also wondering what kinda ideas you guys had for the detail piece on the right shoulder pad. should i resin/fiber glass both pieces, then glue and bondo them together? or should i glue them together and try to do it all as one piece. or should i cut out the shape of the detail on the shoulder pad and then glue it using some card stock pieces (self made tabs) to reinforce it, then resin/fiberglass it as one? i for one think the third is the easiest, but i was wondering on your guys professional opinion.

any comments on this part? XD

Last edited by a moderator:
Cracker said:
any comments on this part? XD

fiberglassing then bondoing will look smoother and be less of a hassle if you have all the items and tools.

but glueing the peped pieces together then fiberglassing wouldn't be as detailed and even though easier you may not be satisfied with the results.

you're doing great work keep it up!

Im wondering the exact same thing... Im just finishing up the two piec hayabusa and have NO idea on how to attach them. Im thinking of resining them both together, since resin will stick practically everything together. But then for fiberglass Im gunna drill a hole in the bottom under the top crown and carefully placing it in with a wooden stick or metal wire.

Back on your topic! That piece is so small you might be able to resin them together, then add bondo to harden it... Just an idea.

BTW great work! :D

You could reinforce the piece with resin and add one or two layers of fiberglass. Once you are done with the fiberglass stage, you can super glue the piece to the shoulder.

If you one day decide to mold it, you won't have to worry about wasting more rubber and smooth cast.

-Pony

good job. my first pieces got so bad that I had to throw it away. the secret for a good fiberglassing is patience. dont try to hurry up the thing

you'll only loose your piece.

^^

gakkengod said:
are you only using the fiberglass cloth inside or what/how are you going about your fiberglassing?

yeah, 1 layer clearcoat inside and out, then 1 layer of resin inside and out, then 1 layer of fiber glass inside, 1 layer of bondo outside, then sand inside and out, primer outside, then paint outside.

im scared to start on the bondo now. XD thats how i was before i jumped into the fiberglass. anyone got a really good tut for bondo?

Yeah nice job so far. I'll try to get back soon to working on the armor most likely in 3 weeks or so when I graduate. :D

so i just finished sanding it all down. inside and out. i have one kinda important question though... do i bondo the entire thing, or just the spots that need to be perfect? im really having kinda a hard time finding a good bondo tutorial or at least one about the step right after you fiber glass the damn piece. any help? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back