My First Build: Halo 4 Master Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigsoup

8160112566_ac1466a5f8_z.jpg

I remember the first time I heard the haunting chant on the intro screen of Halo 1. I was invited to a friend's house for an all-night Halo fest, which consisted mostly of Capture the Flag--still my favorite multiplayer game to this day. I was an addict from day one.

Sadly, however, a couple years ago, I was in between jobs, and my wife and I needed some money, so I was forced to sell my XBox 360 and all my games on Craigslist. To this day, I wish I would have sold my electric guitar instead.

Anyways, after a half-hearted attempt to throw together a last minute Tony Stark costume for Halloween, I decided I was going to put a little more thought into next year's costume.

And that's when I discovered the 405th!!

I can't tell you how excited I am to be a part of this community, and I can't wait to get started on my Halo 4 armor. Sadly, I'm a little late to have this thing ready for the Halo 4 release, but it doesn't matter anyways, because I have yet to replace my long lost XBox 360. To be honest, I have no idea how long this is going to take me. I've now got a wife, two daughters, a full time job, and a part time freelance gig, so it's a safe bet to say it may just be next Halloween before I'm finished.

Anyways, I've been devouring as much content as possible in the Noob forums and watching as many videos as possible, because I'm a perfectionist, and I want to do this right.

Also, I'm a professional web designer and video producer, so I'm hoping to use my armor for more than just costume parties!

And so it begins!

I'll be starting with version 2 of KingRahl's Halo 4 chest piece. In my next update, I should have it pepped out and ready for the next step.

Until next time, when you're humming the Halo theme to yourself in bed at night, try not to accidentally slip into The Little Mermaid theme.

8160133159_da1e5aa32d_z.jpg

I haven't play my xbox for 5 years now but I love halo and I got all the halo games. So good luck with your build and don't forget to measure every parts. ( your body parts and the pepakura piece)

Good intro! I miss Halo as well... I need an Xbox ha ha but life kinda gets in the way (mortgage car payments job gf etc...)
But! Making the armor is pretty damn cool!

I see you said you have been doing lots of research, my advice is DEFINATLY use a pencil knife (not sure if those are actually your pictures or not) and if you are brave (skin is for the weak! Ha ha jk) superglue works awesome.
Good luck!!
Largen~

My xbox red ringed just before I deployed. So I haven't been able to play Halo in almost a year. Looking forward to tracking your build. Good luck.

I haven't play my xbox for 5 years now but I love halo and I got all the halo games. So good luck with your build and don't forget to measure every parts. ( your body parts and the pepakura piece)

I'm ashamed to say I've already experienced the difficulties of building without measuring. I got started pepping the Mark VI helmet, and I got about halfway done before I realized that it wouldn't be big enough for my enormous cranium. I guess the good news is that I got a lot of practice with pepping.

Good intro! I miss Halo as well... I need an Xbox ha ha but life kinda gets in the way (mortgage car payments job gf etc...)
But! Making the armor is pretty damn cool!

I see you said you have been doing lots of research, my advice is DEFINATLY use a pencil knife (not sure if those are actually your pictures or not) and if you are brave (skin is for the weak! Ha ha jk) superglue works awesome.
Good luck!!
Largen~

I'm doing okay so far with an Xacto. How is a pen knife better? Also, I've already got a glue gun and an ammo strap full of sticks, so I'll probably stick with that for now. Besides, I don't want to have to pry my fingers apart from each other every 2 minutes.

My xbox red ringed just before I deployed. So I haven't been able to play Halo in almost a year. Looking forward to tracking your build. Good luck.

Surprising how many people in the 405th who haven't played Halo in a while!

Thanks for watching and for the well wishes! Advice is always welcome! I can already tell this is going to be a fun community!!

Oh, and one more thing!

For all the noobs out there who want to get started making your own armor, READ THE NOOB FORUM AND THE CREATION DISCUSSION FORUM!! Take it from a fellow noob--there's a plethora of useful information there that will give you pretty much everything you need to get started. Seriously!! You can get 99% of your questions answered just by reading through these forums.

Question about the Halo 4 Armor

From what I can tell, the Halo 4 armor seems to be a little slimmer and seems to cover less of the under-armor than previous versions. The kneepads and codpiece, for example, don't cover as much surface area. They seem to be attached directly to the under-armor.

In my mind, this makes your choice of under-armor even more important, since more of it will be visible. A cheap set of long underwear will look even worse now than it did before. Also, the use of a pressure suit doesn't seem like as good of an option as it used to, since more of it will be visible. From the hi-def cinematics, Master Chief's under-armor seems to have scales. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had come up with any alternate ideas for under-armor that look really good without breaking the bank.

Or should I just give up on the Halo 4 armor altogether and go for a Mk VI suit?

Just doing a little pep work tonight while watching TV. Still got a long way to go.
-snip-]
How come people use X-Acto knives for cutting pepakura? I tried it but I couldn't seem to get clean lines like scissors could.
Could you tell me how you're managing such a clean look?

How come people use X-Acto knives for cutting pepakura? I tried it but I couldn't seem to get clean lines like scissors could.
Fresh and sharp blades. You might look into a pack of disposable scalpels.

I actually DO use scissors! I just use the Xacto for the hard-to-reach spots.

Good luck with the pep work!

I cut out my Helmet using scissors. I'm now cutting out my forearm pieces with an X-acto knife. The lines are much cleaner, and actually even straighter. You just need a steady hand, and go slowly. Also, having a soft surface under the parts you are cutting out helps (I use an old spiral bound notebook).

Good luck with the pep work!

I cut out my Helmet using scissors. I'm now cutting out my forearm pieces with an X-acto knife. The lines are much cleaner, and actually even straighter. You just need a steady hand, and go slowly. Also, having a soft surface under the parts you are cutting out helps (I use an old spiral bound notebook).

That's the problem . . . I don't have a steady hand.

Here's the front half of the torso. Still working on the back half. Hope this thing fits!! I followed directions for sizing, but I'm still paranoid it'll be too small. Here's hoping!

8173351636_cecd50dcab_z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back