My first build- Halo 4 MkVI foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have started on the fore arms. I have completed the left one. Not liking the way some things came out. Will defiantly redo it. will change the way I cut some of the pieces. Here are some pictures. Tell me what you think.
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg
thumbnail (3).jpg
thumbnail.jpg

So I have started on the fore arms. I have completed the left one. Not liking the way some things came out. Will defiantly redo it. will change the way I cut some of the pieces. Here are some pictures. Tell me what you think.View attachment 272623View attachment 272624View attachment 272625View attachment 272626

This is looking great, you're definitely on the right track! I think it is definitely a useable piece especially once you caulk the seams and edges to flush them out clean. The elbow plate appears slightly twisted in one pic but hit that with a little heat and straighten it out easily if it is.

This does look really REALLY good! If you do choose to make another to replace this, I can only wonder about how amazing this suit is going to be, because your attention to detail is clean and high, and your expectations are also very high. This is going to be awesome!

This post is starting to make me think pepakura is gonna run freehander's like me outta business xD
It's looking real good, great work!

I appreciate the good words. I look at all of your builds and think man if I can get half this good I will be lucky. Going to change the way I cut the pieces out to get better lines. I've been watching Anglelegends videos and looking at other builds on putting this set of armor together. That's been a great help. Again thanks for the help and encouragement.

I appreciate the good words. I look at all of your builds and think man if I can get half this good I will be lucky. Going to change the way I cut the pieces out to get better lines. I've been watching Anglelegends videos and looking at other builds on putting this set of armor together. That's been a great help. Again thanks for the help and encouragement.
We're all here for the same reason more or less. Just continue what you're doing and you'll be out trooping in no time!

Watching videos and reading is a huge help. But the biggest advice I can give you is 1) dont do too much research. Sometimes you will look for the answer to a problem and you already have the answer, or you compare your suit to others/ wish yours could look as good as theirs. This will hurt you in the long run most of the time, and also waste tons of time. It's nice to enjoy and Appreciate other builds, but if you keep working on yours without overthinking it, your build will turn out even better. 2) just do it. If you have a problem, work on another peice or just try some things out instead of otherwise procrastinating. 3) try and enjoy it :)

You got this in the bag already!

Well it has taken me a while but I have completed the fore arms. I feel a lot better about these than I do my first attempt. its getting easier as I go. it just takes awhile since I am using contact cement. Here are pictures. Tell me what you think and any if anything is not right please say so. I still have to do the seam sealing but I am going to wait to do that when I get all the parts built. I have learned to build both the left and right pieces at same time. I forgot what I did a couple of times since I didn't do that with these. Live and Learn.

Attachments

• forearm1.jpg
    forearm1.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 206
  • forearm2.jpg
    forearm2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 206
  • forearm2a.jpg
    forearm2a.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 195
  • forearm3.jpg
    forearm3.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 212
  • forearm4.jpg
    forearm4.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 221
Well it has taken me a while but I have completed the fore arms. I feel a lot better about these than I do my first attempt. its getting easier as I go. it just takes awhile since I am using contact cement. Here are pictures. Tell me what you think and any if anything is not right please say so. I still have to do the seam sealing but I am going to wait to do that when I get all the parts built. I have learned to build both the left and right pieces at same time. I forgot what I did a couple of times since I didn't do that with these. Live and Learn.

Job WELL done! You are doing everything perfect! I to build the same way in a phase type routine. Phase 1 build out everything in pairs and reinforce insides. Phase 2, seal seams with kwik seal caulk or foam clay and rubber coat spray exterior. Phase 3 paint!

Job WELL done! You are doing everything perfect! I to build the same way in a phase type routine. Phase 1 build out everything in pairs and reinforce insides. Phase 2, seal seams with kwik seal caulk or foam clay and rubber coat spray exterior. Phase 3 paint!
I decided a week or two ago to adopt this phase system. I think it has numerous psychological benefits the contribute towards a better product at the cost of taking more time (which is of little consequence for a really good build).

I decided a week or two ago to adopt this phase system. I think it has numerous psychological benefits the contribute towards a better product at the cost of taking more time (which is of little consequence for a really good build).
Yes you are completely right! It helps me mentally achieve goals but also, as the armor evolves as more pieces are built, it gives you a chance to tweak or add foam detail before the "final sealing your fate" with the Phase 2 rubber coating of everything.

Yes you are completely right! It helps me mentally achieve goals but also, as the armor evolves as more pieces are built, it gives you a chance to tweak or add foam detail before the "final sealing your fate" with the Phase 2 rubber coating of everything.
Exactly. One of the things I did on my first suit was 'optimize' the process to take as little time because I wasn't aware of those benefits. I'd build a piece, and then paint it, letting it dry while I build the next piece. However, I definitely ended up 'locked in' and my quality suffered because of it. I also wasn't able to look back at a piece after the fact and see what was wrong, which in experience elsewhere is an important part of the process. If you stare at something long enough, you're going to stop seeing it.

I would say work on one peice at a time, but if this works then keep with it. This is very impressive and well done! Incredibly clean and symmetrical between the two peices. It may be the picture, but some of the peices look fuzzy. Are you using a band saw to cut?

You have done some amazing work! The foam is to clean and the detail. Just....stunning. I tip my hat to you. I can’t wait till it is finished and you suit up.

Thanks everyone for the complements. Yes I did use the band saw when I cut these pieces. On the shoulder and bicep pieces I cut with the blade knife. I liked the way the pieces came out when I used the saw better. It also was faster cutting time. It was tricky cutting the 45 degree angles on some of the pieces. Next up are the shin and hip pieces. Getting excited been looking at what cons are in this area just might go just to get an idea what happens at them.

Thanks everyone for the complements. Yes I did use the band saw when I cut these pieces. On the shoulder and bicep pieces I cut with the blade knife. I liked the way the pieces came out when I used the saw better. It also was faster cutting time. It was tricky cutting the 45 degree angles on some of the pieces. Next up are the shin and hip pieces. Getting excited been looking at what cons are in this area just might go just to get an idea what happens at them.
Interesting, you'll probably be fine once you heat seal it anyways. Of course I always swear by #11 exacto knives! ;) again, awesome clean work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back