My first foam build [[Reach Armor WIP]] Pic Heavy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
NICE! Rocking the tube sock!

Everything is turning out so well man! I remember when you first started. You're turning out pieces like a machine and they're all high detail

Tube socks ftw! I remember thinking that this project was going to take me the better part of a year. I severely underestimated my addictive and obsessive personality. Hehe.

Loving your foam build, And congrats on Son.

Thanks and thanks!!

awesome work, the paint job on the chest looks great! and everything else is coming along great. keep it up!

everything looks fantastic, keep up the great work

Thanks guys! I cant wait to see the suit all painted and lit up.

HOLY HELL! nice job, ill have to try this foam.....

Heck yeah! Give it a go man. You'll have tons of support from folks here if you need help or any guidance.

Ghost,

I understand when using foam you have to cut at angles to get the right shape and line ups. So do you pep your lay outs and go off looks, or is it more trial and error and correcting the angles when gluing pieces together.

Devohter,
I usually print out the pep file with plain paper and go ahead and cut it all out. Then I lay the cutouts on the foam I'm going to use. Depending on the complexity of the pieces and how they fit together, I may tape several pieces of the paper pieces together and trace them out as one large piece of foam. If you look at some of the pep files for foam thighs, there are several pieces that can be combined so that you have fewer seams to deal with.
As far as the angles go, I usually make an attempt at a 45 degree angle with scissors and then do my best with the glue seam. One thing that I do that seems to help is I run a bead of glue across the piece, then press the two pieces together and then pull them apart to let the glue get a blast of air and get super sticky before I press the pieces back together. Pinching the pieces along the seam seems to help create a solid seam with minimal glue leakage. Since I cover much of the piece with craft foam I normally dont worry too much about how tight my seams are with the eva foam.

Working with the craft foam is more of a trial and error process than the eva foam.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, just fire them at me.

Ghost01,

Your build was the first one I found about making UNSC gear out of foam. It never crossed my mind of doing it this way, and I have to say your build has been most insightful. I'm sure after seeing your finished core the rest of the suit will look just as amazing. I just have one question, which is more general than just to you, but I first saw it in your build. Why isn't the writing on the armor in stencil form like Military Stencil? I'm just curious as it seems that would be more appropriate. Either that or I've been around the military too long lol. Anyway, I've subscribed and I'm looking forward to further updates, keep up the great work.

Ghost01,

Your build was the first one I found about making UNSC gear out of foam. It never crossed my mind of doing it this way, and I have to say your build has been most insightful. I'm sure after seeing your finished core the rest of the suit will look just as amazing. I just have one question, which is more general than just to you, but I first saw it in your build. Why isn't the writing on the armor in stencil form like http://www.tlai.com/images/mdmilstenapts1.gif ? I'm just curious as it seems that would be more appropriate. Either that or I've been around the military too long lol. Anyway, I've subscribed and I'm looking forward to further updates, keep up the great work.

I'm glad that you can draw some inspiration from my build! To be honest, I was planning on painting the call sign on the chest with a larger and more military style font once I printed out a good stencil to work with. I still have quite a bit of painting to get done with the chest but I'm holding off until I get more pieces completed and ready for paint. I may even go with a decal approach for the call sign since I will be using decal transfer film for the UNSC logo. Has anyone had any issues with decals coming off? Should I use some sort of sealant or clear coat to make sure the decal stays put?

Ghost,

I totally see what your saying as far as being able to cut two pieces to one. Im guessing that is the method where you take only a portion so it can bend but stay together. So basically 45 degree angles? Now I see your builds and the craft foam covers up alot of the seams from the foam, is that how you should use the craft foam?

Ghost,

I totally see what your saying as far as being able to cut two pieces to one. Im guessing that is the method where you take only a portion so it can bend but stay together. So basically 45 degree angles? Now I see your builds and the craft foam covers up alot of the seams from the foam, is that how you should use the craft foam?

I wont say that it is THE way to use the craft foam but its the way that I typically use it. I try to think of the EVA construction as a base for building detail onto. While I still try to get my seams and shapes as tight and perfect as I can, I dont stress too much over any gaps or errors because I can cover the mistakes with the craft foam.

Update time! I completed the base construction for the shins and I'll cover them as soon as I get some more craft foam.

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

And last but absolutely not least, a little something my wife and I built together. It took a long time but I think it turned out pretty awesome...

IMG_1147.jpg

I know it's not armor, but I couldnt resist. Sorry for the small sidetrack!

Thanks for looking!

Awwwwwww!!!! Adorable baby! And the shins are looking good too. This is a really quick build in comparison to my fiberglass suit. It's awesome to look back at how far you've come on foam building. Nice work, keep it up!

That's beautiful dude... gorgeous child
Thanks!
Awwwwwww!!!! Adorable baby! And the shins are looking good too. This is a really quick build in comparison to my fiberglass suit. It's awesome to look back at how far you've come on foam building. Nice work, keep it up!
Tankyavermuch! And I'm sometimes shocked at how fast this build is going.
Awww he's lookin ansom! What's left after the shins or is that you done?
I still have to build the hand plates, knees and lower spine protection with eva. Then I have to sew up an under suit, complete the helmet, paint and light everything and possibly rebuild the chest. The knees are next.
Sniff such a caring father, gonna put the armor on the baby?
Lol! We'll see!
Aww soooo cute! Gratz man.
Thanks bro!
Congrats with the little one. No you will have no time for sure for your armor.
Hehe. Well right now he only eats, sleeps and makes dirty diapers so I get a little time here and there.

Small update.

I bought a bunch of stuff to finish the helmet.
image-1.jpg

I hope to get some bonds on there today.

Congrats on the half-pint! Adorable little wee one!

Just wait until they get around 9 months or so. ;) My girlfriend's is about 2 now, yeah, she was moving by 4 months, running by 9 months! But now, as long as she has a job (no kidding) she's golden. Already "helping" with the trash, kitchen, and cleaning up her own toys! It's just when she tries to help out with the truck (300pc craftsman set) that I gotta step back and just laugh. Reminds me why I gave up ten years and served.

good luck on the rest of your build, I'm not envious about where you are with your helmet.

and congrats on the baby!

Take some pics as you go with the bondo...Im almost at the resin stage, and looking for some tips and tricks that you might do.

Small update (well, small-ish),

I finished the base build for the knees and attached them to the shins. I still need to craft foam the shins and knees but at least the basic build is complete.

Pics!

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

In the game and in every reference pic I've seen, the knees sit flush with the top of the shins and follow the line that runs across the top of the calf.
knee.jpg

Mine didn't work out so well but I dont have a Spartans proportions so I figured it was alright.

Here's a trial with the boot.

IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

Overall I'm pleased with the shape and the fit. I dont think that I need the shins to be longer but if I was going to add any, it would be down at the bottom to give just a bit more length to cover the ankle bones.

Thanks for looking!

Belated congrats on the little one. I would have to say that the baby is the greatest creation of all.

Everything on your suit is looking great though. :p Sizing looks spot on and it turned out really clean. Keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back