My First Helm... Need Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckemby

Alright guys, so this is my first helm and I decided to go with the Mark VI series because I thought it would be a good start. I have all the tools for resining and fiber glassing (no bondo yet), a dremel, and all the safety equipment. So heres my pepd product...
[attachment=6618:IMG_0346.JPG]
.. as you can see the visor is kind of not even on both sides and pointing up... I was wondering what I can do to fix that before I resin and stuff.

also i'm gonna need some help with posting these pics because it says that the file size is larger than the available space.... so until I get a reply on this the first pic will be my only one.

From this pic the top of the head looks a bit off center, before you bondo or resin, remember at support struts so it doesnt get lopsided (y)

To make the visor straight put a cheap plastic ruler on the bottom and tape it down to make it straight. make sure it doesn't cause the visor to tip up (like a rally cap). make sure it is level. Take tape and "pull" it down. resin the outside BUT DO NOT resin under on visor where the ruler is at. you can put resin close to the ruler but do not resin over the ruler. after two coats of resin take off the rule and resin there. BONDO WILL NOT FIX THAT PROBLEM! support struts will help too but make sure you have the paper prefect before you resin. I have seen time after time people resining and bondo with major warped pep peice and they never turn out. you need to "mold" ( or move the paper first and get it in position that you want before you resin! this is the only way to do it! once you resin and fg you can't can't it.
good luck!

JediStumpy said:
To make the visor straight put a cheap plastic ruler on the bottom and tape it down to make it straight. make sure it doesn't cause the visor to tip up (like a rally cap). make sure it is level. Take tape and "pull" it down. resin the outside BUT DO NOT resin under on visor where the ruler is at. you can put resin close to the ruler but do not resin over the ruler. after two coats of resin take off the rule and resin there. BONDO WILL NOT FIX THAT PROBLEM! support struts will help too but make sure you have the paper prefect before you resin. I have seen time after time people resining and bondo with major warped pep peice and they never turn out. you need to "mold" ( or move the paper first and get it in position that you want before you resin! this is the only way to do it! once you resin and fg you can't can't it.
good luck!
Thanks I'll try that... I kind of had a similar idea but I wasn't using a ruler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Farris said:
It may be the camera angle, but it almost looks as if there's an awkward tilt in the helmet itself. Are all of the supports in? If not, I'd recommend putting them in to help straighten it out.
its not an hd helm so it didn't have any supports... and i think i fixed the whole lopsided problem when I taped the ruler under the visor...
Progress... I have completed with the first layer of resin, and it is just about ready for a second layer. I'll have more pics posted soon.

Looks like you've done a good job so far. Get the resin down then the glass inside and you'll be ready to fix any small imperfections with the bondo. Good luck with the rest of it.

Master Destroyer said:
its not an hd helm so it didn't have any supports... and i think i fixed the whole lopsided problem when I taped the ruler under the visor...
Progress... I have completed with the first layer of resin, and it is just about ready for a second layer. I'll have more pics posted soon.

Sorry, I was talking about the back. But, if the ruler fixed that too, then good.

OK so i've been reading alot of stickies about fiberglassing, and I don't know if I should fiberglass the inside or the outside. I know with the outside I'll lose detail, but if I do the inside, I have absolutely no idea how to do it, especially how to get in the visor.
---Please Help!!

My Photo Album

and heres my photo album with everything I've done so far. I used the plastic ruler and It most definitely helped. I now have a flat visor and it is turning out pretty well. Thanks to everyone thats helped me so far, and special thanks to JediStumpy for the awesome ruler advice. I'll keep you guys updated.

Don't double post. Edit your last post and add to it. As for glassing, do the inside. Resin on the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back