My First Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigern1990

Alright guys, so I wanted to get a suit done before Halloween...that's not going to happen. I may be able to do all low-res stuff, but it definitely doesn't look as good as the high res stuff. So I figured, how really cares if it isn't done before Halloween. Ill have the helmet done by then, but not the whole suit...at least it is something :)

Anyway, I have been following alot of stuff on here and kinda lurking around. So I am going to submit my helmet now. At this point it is only in the pepakura stage. I haven't started to resin it, or fiberglass it yet. It is wearable, and is a perfect fit (was worried it wouldn't fit).

IMG_0053.jpg

The first thing you will probably notice, which I have already noticed is there is a significant amount of warping on the top of the shell. I read that this can easily be fixed later with lots of bondo and sanding. If not, how is this fixable?

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

I think it is pretty good for a first, but I would appreciate lots of criticism. I want it to be a good as possible.

My next step I believe is to resin the helmet, and then fiberglass. At least that is what I have read. I have practiced resining on some paper airplanes :p As I write this they are drying, but it looks like I will have to wait a while before they cure. These are the next steps I have to take, based off of what I have read. Please, please, please correct me if I am wrong in any of these steps.

1. Pepakura - DONE!
2. Resin
3. Fiberglass w/resin
4. Fiberglass w/resin inside of helmet
5. Bondo and sand
6. Bondo and sand
7. Primer coat
8. Paint
9. Insert Visor and look kickass!

Just to let everybody know, yes, I did wear a respirator while I practiced resining the paper airplanes. Safety is my number 1 concern when doing any project like this. I have severe asthma so it doesn't exactly agree with me when I do projects such as this. I had the respirator from past projects. I work with and repair Xbox 360s and Original Xboxs. I paint them and such and even had to bondo one once, so I understand the risk when using certain chemicals.

The materials I used and bought for this project are:

1. Staples Card Stock - 110lb, 250 sheets (plenty for this project)
2. Two bottles of super glue
3. X-acto knife
4. Elmer's brand Fiberglass cloth (not the mat)
5. Bondo brand fiberglass resin (huge $35 container from Pepboys)
6. Lots of cheap $0.56 brushes

I have yet to purchase the paint materials as I am not at that step yet, and don't want to waste the money in case anything bad were to happen to the helmet...

If I have messed up anywhere, or should be using something else, PLEASE let me know. Thanks guys!

Ahem. I would like to comment. Extensively. As such feel free to tell me I'm an idiot as you see fit. :D

Bigern1990 said:
Alright guys, so I wanted to get a suit done before Halloween...that's not going to happen. I may be able to do all low-res stuff, but it definitely doesn't look as good as the high res stuff. So I figured, how really cares if it isn't done before Halloween. Ill have the helmet done by then, but not the whole suit...at least it is something :)
First. Thank yourself for this because I think you'll appreciate it later when you look at your costume and say "Dang, the Chief looks good!" Take your time and enjoy every minute of it.

Bigern1990 said:
The first thing you will probably notice, which I have already noticed is there is a significant amount of warping on the top of the shell. I read that this can easily be fixed later with lots of bondo and sanding. If not, how is this fixable?
I believe it is fixable. However, it will be a lot of work bondoing and sanding so it really depends on what you like to do more, Pep or bondo. Choose the one that you feel you like more and either bondo the top or redo the paper model. I also noticed your chin area is warped but I see pieces of it next to the helmet so I'm going to assume it just wasn't 100% assembled when the photo was taken. Also also, it seems the indents in the visor area are not indented. They look like they're protruding. If so. Just pull 'em out and replace them.

Bigern1990 said:
I think it is pretty good for a first, but I would appreciate lots of criticism. I want it to be a good as possible.

My next step I believe is to resin the helmet, and then fiberglass. At least that is what I have read. I have practiced resining on some paper airplanes :p As I write this they are drying, but it looks like I will have to wait a while before they cure. These are the next steps I have to take, based off of what I have read. Please, please, please correct me if I am wrong in any of these steps.

1. Pepakura - DONE!
2. Resin
3. Fiberglass w/resin
4. Fiberglass w/resin inside of helmet
5. Bondo and sand
6. Bondo and sand
7. Primer coat
8. Paint
9. Insert Visor and look kickass!
It is pretty good looking actually. Every pep helmet has it's flaws. I'd just like to say congrats on a good looking build. The order you posted here looks good. Personally I fiberglass the inside first but many resin the outside. Your choice. I don't think it makes that much of a difference. Oh and if you plan to bondo I don't think you have enough "Bondo and Sand" in there. Bondoing should take up at least 5 through 20 to be realistic. :p

Bigern1990 said:
The materials I used and bought for this project are:

1. Staples Card Stock - 110lb, 250 sheets (plenty for this project)
2. Two bottles of super glue
3. X-acto knife
4. Elmer's brand Fiberglass cloth (not the mat)
5. Bondo brand fiberglass resin (huge $35 container from Pepboys)
6. Lots of cheap $0.56 brushes
I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you use the wrong type of glue the fiberglass fumes will melt the glue and the helmet will fall apart as you apply the resin. Not sure if super glue falls into this category but look into it. Anyways good job overall. I hope I'm not being to harsh but you did ask for it. Beside you can always come over to my helmet wip and tell me that mine sucks. I think we're doing the same model anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
the first pic looks like it is leaning to the right a tad, but it looks great so far.

and i have the same foam pads that you are using and never thought of using them for pep, great idea.

droodles said:
if you use the wrong type of glue the fiberglass fumes will melt the glue and the helmet will fall apart as you apply the resin. Not sure if super glue falls into this category but look into it.
I used superglue for my pepakure (loctite super glue) and it worked just fine, no problems :D

Finnish_Spartan said:
The helmet is cool, there are some folds, folded the wrong way around, and there is a bit warping.
I would recommend re-doing it. But you can continue from here, it just means more work for smoothing out.

Keep up the great job!

-FSS

If you could show me where it is folded wrong, i'd greatly appreciate it. I actually had to re-do part of the helmet because Pepakura Designer 2 had switched up the folds on me. Dot, Dot, Dot wasn't fold up, it was now fold down. I did read somewhere that this could happen.

BTW, since I am not going to be getting this done before Halloween (I do want this too look good :p) I will definitely be doing another helmet before I continue onto the rest of the suit. I really enjoyed the pep portion, but im not so sure I will enjoy the next few steps :) As I said before, I had resined some paper airplanes to see how they turned out, and they came out all warped and such. I think I am going to do a low-res helmet, resin it, and then see how it comes out. I will definitely like the bondoing part though. I am into that sort of stuff and won't really mind that portion, so I think I'll go ahead and continue with this helmet. However, I will be doing a low-res helmet and then resinging it to see the outcome.

iizahsum said:
the first pic looks like it is leaning to the right a tad, but it looks great so far.

and i have the same foam pads that you are using and never thought of using them for pep, great idea.

Yeah, I decided to use those because I had actually just got that furniture for our basement. It was our neighbors furniture, but I had nothing down there. I didn't even have a chair and my dad put our old 50" tv down there and I had bought a 360 and such for down there too :/ So, now that I had furniture, I wasn't about to go screw it up with tons of scratch marks from the xacto knife. It actually makes for some good cutting too. You can keep cuttin over and over again in the same spot without anything weird happening to the foam mat. It is sort of like the "re-healing" cutting boards, only the cut actually does stay there but it doesn't get in the way.

Thanks for all the input so far guys :)

EDIT: Is this the area you guys were talking about when you said it was folded the wrong way?

The helmet is cool, there are some folds, folded the wrong way around, and there is a bit warping.
I would recomend re-doing it. But you can continue from here, it just means more work for smoothing out.

Keep up the great job!

-FSS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back