My first Mk VI build, introduction and a question :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossy71

Hi everyone, ive been reading the forum for a few weeks but wanted to get some progress on my build before i started posting :).
Ive deided to go for the Mark VI armor and so far i have got 1 shoulder/bicep piece glassed and awaiting final finishing, the FS MK VI helmet almost peped and a small amount of the chest piece built up. The fibreglassing and body filling is second nature to me as im a car body repairer by trade but ive run into a problem involving the brim on the helmet which is how do you fibreglass the inside of the brim as when the model is built up you have very little access to the inside of it to strengthen it.
My idea was to attatch the semi completed brim to the helmet, fit all the bracing struts and glass the brim before the top part of the helmet is completed, anyone think this is a good way or is there another more professional way to glass that part? Any thoughts on this would be great as im stuck till i figure it out. The final paint scheme will be to mimic sarge from the red vs blue series (shotgun hopefully also ;) )
Pictures to follow shortly hopefully

how do you fibreglass the inside of the brim as when the model is built up you have very little access to the inside of it to strengthen it.

You can try using rondo. Pour it into the helmet and then slush it around. You should at one point also have the brim area completely filled, to make sure all the corners are covered.

Agreed, I love rondo. Simply follow this.
Ben Streeper Videos = Everything you need to know to build a helmet start to finish

Looks like brilliant stuff, and a major time saver. Will it be as strong as fibreglasing or do you just have to be a little more careful with the finished prop?

Thanks for the help ;)

It will not be quite as strong, however if you want you can layer some fiberglass mat down in between rondo layers. That being said Rondo alone is pretty darn strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back