My first Pepakura armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys, I've finished the suit (pics up soon). Now, just to make sure I've got my bearings, I need to:

1. Coat the outside with resin. Let dry.

For fiberglassing, do I put resin, then while its still wet, place fiberglass on it (to stick), or do I place fiberglass on the card stock and coat it with resin? Or...well, what do I do? Just making sure!

Thanks in advance.

Spray adhesive onto the fiberglass, glue into the resin'd inside or bare cardstock, then resin over it .

Method 1.
1.spray adhesive onto fiberglass
2. stick onto bare cardstock inside
3. resin over it.

Method 2 (may be stronger)

Resin inside
Spray adhesive and place onto dried resin'd inside
resin over fiberglass

I will be using my second method...now to buy spray adhesive....or you could use elmers glue, some people do.

You can resin the fiberglass and stick it on at once, but you get it all over your hands and it gets messy and you stink like resin for a while...

Alright, I'm done with the outside resin coat (great thanks to my mom [she loves painting >.<]), I'll be starting fiberglassing tomorrow, since there's no school.

Here is the completed suit:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Fett @ Oct 7 2007, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Alright, I'm done with the outside resin coat (great thanks to my mom [she loves painting >.<]), I'll be starting fiberglassing tomorrow, since there's no school.
Here is the completed suit:

</div>
Sweet. How are you going to make the visor though?

biceps look big, otherwise pretty pimp ass suit you got goin dude. i would go with a few layers of resin on the outside, then resin the inside, then resin with fiberglass on the inside, i dont see a point in spray adhesive, the resin is sticky enough.

I'm planning to cut the visor out and use a colored transperancy sheet, or maybe some goggles, for the visor.

Yeah, currently I've just resined the outside. I'm adding the fiberglass tomorrow, then I may resin the outside again if I have enough.

EDIT: Thanks for comments, by the way ;)

Just to be 100% sure, I add the fiberglass INSIDE the suit, correct?

I've seen it done both ways in tutorials, hence my confusion.

-Thanks

Darth Fett said:
Just to be 100% sure, I add the fiberglass INSIDE the suit, correct?

I've seen it done both ways in tutorials, hence my confusion.

-Thanks
Definitely the inside...

Outside will cause you to lose the armor's shape and dignity... you would have to sand a hell of a lot to get it look like it was before fiberglassing...

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, thanks. I'll be starting on the weekend (or hopefully sooner, but I have Drill Team practice daily). I'll keep you guys posted.

Also, since I'm wearing a navy jumpsuit, I'm planning on painting it black or dark blue. What do you guys think?

Even though I feel terrible for triple posting, I am ecstatic to announce:

Basically done! Need to add the velcro straps and the lens first, which I'm doing now.

Yeah, I don't have a black one, and not really enough cash for the black one (nor the time, I've got about a week before the party...)

Anywho, helmet's done:

imo, it needs more sanding to make it look smooth and not all "Polygoney" since you have the Fiberglass undercoat, you can sand a little extra and make it look nicer :D

blue jumpsuit? at least its unique o_O

EDIT: hey... if you can get that same exact suit/undersuit in black, i think it would look perfect cause of the patterns/lines already on the suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back