My first Pepakura project(Star Wars Republic Commando helmet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redtriangle11

Hello everyone!!

I'm just starting my first pepakura project so I thought I would share my progress here. It's a Republic commando helmet from star wars.

Here's the model I'm using:
IMG_3193.jpg

And here's my progress so far: (I just have a few pieces put together)
IMG_3192.jpg

I have a question, what's the best way to apply glue? I read on one of the tutorials on this website that they use a Q-tip. It seems to work okay but the cottony part at the end of the Q-tip got destroyed after barely any time so now it's just a hairy toothpick basically (which works okay). Any better suggestions?

Also, I found that it makes it easier if you make the tabs much bigger than the pattern tells you so there's more surface area to glue.

If you guys have any more tips at all for me, please let me know! I'll keep you updated with my progress. Thanks!!

Personally, when I pep stuff I use a hot glue gun. You might get some larger seams later on but it is much quicker than elmers, and besides thats what bondo/fiberlass is for (I'm assuming that's what you're gonna do since you're using the pep method).

I use Duco contact glue......it dries much quicker than elmers, you don't get burned with hot glue, or get fingers stuck together with crazy glue. It holds very well and cleans up w/ water and soap. and you have a few seconds to re-position before it sets hard.

Super glue gel works great. If you make the tabs wider, they won't fit in between each other. If they are side by side, go for it as long as you remember to cut it somewhere so that it doesn't bend the paper and add stress. Making tabs longer also helps

Hot glue. Yes, you will get burned, but out of all the things I have used, been I found hot glue to be the best solution. It dries relatively fast, but gives you just long enough to position it correctly before it dries. When I use Elmer's or super glue, it was very hard to get each piece in the right position.

Sorry guys I forgot to post on here :( but I finished gluing all the parts together!

IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg

IMG_3239.jpg

I think it looks pretty good. What do you guys think?

I started out using elmers glue but then I tried hot glue and I found that hot glue is much easier because it dries so much faster.

Unfortunately I think the helmet is way too big so I think I'm going to print it out again and start over. But I want to keep making this one, and use it as like a test of all the processes before I do them on the real one, and then maybe sell it if it turns out alright.

Being too big isn't a bad thing is it's just a little bit. If it's a LOT big then a redo will be worth it, but if it's only a little, that will allow more space to install fans, speakers, microphone, and padding.

The helmet looks awesome! For what its worth, I found the Mod Podge was the best glue for working with pep. Dries fast, can be easily applied with a cheap (fine tip) paintbrush, and won't burn your fingers. Also, its pretty cheap. You can also use it to shore up weak connections after initial gluing by just painting some over the pieces it kind of makes a hard seal over the gaps. This helmet looks like it might have less of those obnoxious little tiny tabs for gluing but still worth considering.

Are you gonna make a whole Republic Commando armor?

And if sizing is a common problem, you could get Armorsmith. It is great for those kinds of problems. It costs a little money, but I think it is worth it. Armorsmith | The Cosplay Design Tool | The Armored Garage
Okay! I looked into this program a little and didn't think it was worth it. Maybe it is though, lol. I think the reason it's so big is because I'm scaling the helmet assuming my reference picture has the exact same proportions as me, but in real life I think head size is mostly independent of height. So while I scaled it to a 6'2" person, some 6'2" people have a really big head and some have a really small head.

Being too big isn't a bad thing is it's just a little bit. If it's a LOT big then a redo will be worth it, but if it's only a little, that will allow more space to install fans, speakers, microphone, and padding.

Well, how much room do you typically need for that stuff? Because when I press the back of the helmet against the back of my head, there is an extra 2 inches of room between my forehead and the helmet. I think maybe a half inch or so would be okay for just adding some padding. 2 inches seems pretty absurd, I mean it bounces around on my head and doesn't stay in one place at all.

The helmet looks awesome! For what its worth, I found the Mod Podge was the best glue for working with pep. Dries fast, can be easily applied with a cheap (fine tip) paintbrush, and won't burn your fingers. Also, its pretty cheap. You can also use it to shore up weak connections after initial gluing by just painting some over the pieces it kind of makes a hard seal over the gaps. This helmet looks like it might have less of those obnoxious little tiny tabs for gluing but still worth considering.

Are you gonna make a whole Republic Commando armor?

Thanks for the tip about mod podge! I will check it out.

And eventually, yes, I want to make it into a full costume. Right now I'm just focusing on the helmet as my first smaller project, and after that, I'll keep making more parts for the full costume. Unless I want to change to a different costume

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back