My First Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laserath

Jr Member
I was wondering can i use fiberglass resign on the out side, or would it be better to use bondo ?

I am working on making a full MK6 set, with help from emod360, who did the paper folding and pasting.

Well i said id have pics here they are.

[attachment=8916:IMG_0026.JPG]

[attachment=8917:IMG_0027.JPG]

Ahm, I'm not sure about galssing the outside, I found before a progress thread of a Marine helm, with fiberglass on the outside, but the thing is, the Marine helm don't have much details. The fiber glass could make the peice become, detail-less hehe, but that's my opinion

You won't really want to use fiberglass on the outside, because eventually, you will have to sand you piece for detail, but the fiberglass would blur your details(plus you glass with multipule pieces, which would make some layers) and fiberglass itself is hard to sand.

* Read stickies before posting uneccessary posts*!
This can't be called " My First Project", because you're not showing your work in progress ( WIP), your just asking a already answered in the forums question.

You fiberglass Cloth the inside, so you don't loose details on the outside, and you use fiberglass Resin on the OUTSIDE, resin doesn't ruin the details. You bondo after the fiberglass and resin stage. USe bondo for smoothing and detailing parts. Then paint.

Please search harder,

TSM

TheSpartanMjolnir said:
* Read stickies before posting uneccessary posts*!
This can't be called " My First Project", because you're not showing your work in progress ( WIP), your just asking a already answered in the forums question.
You fiberglass Cloth the inside, so you don't loose details on the outside, and you use fiberglass Resin on the OUTSIDE, resin doesn't ruin the details. You bondo after the fiberglass and resin stage. USe bondo for smoothing and detailing parts. Then paint.

Please search harder,

TSM

I am so sorry for posting ill stop and just read.

Last edited by a moderator:
you dont have to stop posting... just make sure to search before you post. you asked a good question, but it has been asked and answered before. also if you havent seen it yet we do have a question thread, and a great QA team here.

as soon as you get them progress pics post them up, just throw them in this thread, dont try and make another.

everyone gets one....

good luck on your project.

There are many tips you can search around on 405th, the best one I found said that you fiberglass resin the inside in small pieces cause its hard to get your hands in there with a big chunk and resin the outside (only resin outside) to keep the finer details and later on bondo and sanding would be alot easier like everyone said, there is a video tutorial on youtube that shows this process.

I'm not so sure about fiber-glassing the outside
I have a friend who fiberglessed part of his Hayabusa Helm
on the outside and it was pretty weird? we have not finished sanding
and paiting it yet so yea...you will lose some
details however if you fiberglass the whole outside...I suggest
using bondo rather than fiberglass
if you don't have money you can always go back and fix it
my first set of armor had no bondo over it and it turned out ok

Coat the inside and outside in fiberglass resin, but only use the cloth (or mat) on the inside. This way it will have strength without compromising the detail on the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back