My helmet (Wip) (Pics Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok I do not have many resorces for my hobbie. this is my helmet so far and i would appreciate constructive critisism. i might add more detail later. Im acctually thinking of selling this one so i may gain more resorces. if your interested please pm me. I'm painting later this week.

GEDC0081.jpg

GEDC0082.jpg

GEDC0083.jpg

GEDC0085.jpg

GEDC0086.jpg

Looks good, I see your using the old halo 2 pep files, I still think those are the true and best, theres newer detailed ones, but for some reason, I just feel it aint the old pep it used to be.

I agree frost. How are noobs expected to start with a H3 model so detailed some PEP veterans have trouble with it. But if I sell this one thats the one ill be making with the money.

Durlaburban said:
I agree frost. How are noobs expected to start with a H3 model so detailed some PEP veterans have trouble with it. But if I sell this one thats the one ill be making with the money.

I started out with the H3 helm and it turned out fine, BUT IT WAS HARD! I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT TO NOOBS!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
i used spackling paste and found in the first few days yes it is chalky and flakes when you digg at it with a finger nail. but now almost a week later its rock hard. trust me, i dropped it.

since when does plaster have "Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Clay, Crysrtalline Silica, Mica, Ethylene Glycol, Vinyl Acetate Acetaldehyde and Formaldehyde."

Durlaburban said:
since when does plaster have "Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Clay, Crysrtalline Silica, Mica, Ethylene Glycol, Vinyl Acetate Acetaldehyde and Formaldehyde."

now on the basic terms wut does that mean exactly cuz i dont understand...is that a good thing??

well plaster is like a liquid that drys hard and britle. on the other hand spackle is made from the ingrediants above. well DAP High tencil spackle is. basically plaster cracks. the spackle used does not. when full cured the spacle i used is almost as strong as body filler. not quite.

10200_2001.jpg

So I would take it that Spackle is cheaper than Resin and Fiberglass, while having the same qualities such as being very tough after drying, looks like if you are in a hurry to get it done then don't use this as you said above it takes about a week to fully dry.

It doesn't take a week to cure. Even layed on thick it will be dry and sandable in 24 hours or less. Maybe like 12. I used it on 2 of my helmets.

JaredBlair said:
So I would take it that Spackle is cheaper than Resin and Fiberglass, while having the same qualities such as being very tough after drying, looks like if you are in a hurry to get it done then don't use this as you said above it takes about a week to fully dry.

Spackle is NOT a substitute for fiberglassing. Not at all. I did sheetrocking this summer and spackle is nowhere near as durable as either Bondo. Spackle is a silica or mineral composite suspended in a liquid that evaporates, leaving the dried spackle behind. Bondo is basically talc (baby powder) suspended in a polyester resin. Bondo also uses a chemical hardener that you add. This causes it to release its toxic chemicals that break down and go into the air, hardening the Bondo. Because Bondo's hardening process is chemical, not evaporative, it is MUCH harder than spackle. However, spackle is still good for pinhole filling and smoothing (if you don't know how to use glaze), because it is softer than Bondo and is more sandable.

yeah i agree however spacle does dry sandable in 12-24 hours after 72+ it is no longer chalk like. i've dropped it twice now and its still rock solid. DAP also makes other kinds of fillers resins and commercial adheasives. i just like them because of quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back