My New Mkvi Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunstrider

Hey there guys, new noob posting on noob forums =D

Anyway, I've been working on a high def Mk VI helmet between school and work (so obviously progress is going slower than I'd like) but that's not

stopping me.

Basically I started with a low def D4FL version of the helmet on paper as a practice (I refused to start with a bicep in case I got bored and gave up

[A half finished bicep wouldn't inspire me] but alas 'tis not the case). That ended up a little warped (not surprising) and so I decided

to start on a nice High def flying squirrel version on cardstock (you're instructions on where to get things dont help much here in Aus :p)

So far I'm just half way through pepping, some bits are a bit off (like the side lights) but I should be able to fix those out with the internal supports.

Here's some pics on the progress, including one of the finished paper practice.

th_halohelmetprototypecomplete.jpgth_DSC00232.jpgth_DSC00233.jpg

th_DSC00235.jpgth_DSC00236.jpg

th_DSC00239.jpg

I was just wondering how long it should actually take me all up to finish the pepakura stage.

Just curious to know if I'm working slower or faster than I should be

It took me a couple of days to pep my first helmet. I rushed and it looked like crap lol. I wouldn't put a time frame on it, just stay consistent as you go and you'll get amazing results, I'm sure. Looks great so far though!

hey there. REALLY nice work with the pepping :) . and with regards to a time limit... as the above said, don't put a time limit on your armour, once you start getting into trouble.

though i would like to point out that in my opinion, from what i have seen in the pictures, the helmet is a tad bit too small for you... that (http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk65/leetstrider/Halo Helmet/?action=view&current=DSC00236.jpg), your nose should not be going past that lip that it is going quite a bit past. if you look at reference pictures of where the visor goes in the helmet, you will see that it rests up against the inside of that lip, and that if your nose already goes past that point... its going to be very uncomfortable when all is said and done and you go to put it on. i'm no expert on sizing (lord knows i had to go through about 3 to 5 size testers for just about every piece i built... and that was WITH sizing formulas haha), so for sure find out what other people think as well before making any huge decisions.

but aside from that, GREAT start to your build man.

and PS: i started my halo armour around this time of the year last year... and i only JUST finished pepping all the pieces, let alone all the other stages. so just take your time and get'r done right the first time :) (sizing doesn't count though... sizing issues are pretty much a constant in these builds i find lol)

O.T.

Thanks for the heads up on the size man. If after I try resinning this and I take the supports out it doesn't fit, I'll start again on the unfolded version and make it even better. Hopefully it won't come to that

New update on this again. Just finished pepping the helmet, going to start getting ready to put the first coat of resin on it. once that hardens I can take out the supports inside, and find out if I made it too small after all :p

th_DSC00246.jpg

th_DSC00247.jpg

th_DSC00248.jpg

th_DSC00249.jpg

Just a quick note while the resin is drying. It appears to have eaten through the hot glue in some places and I'd had to kind of hang it upside down to keep it in shape while it dries.

Does anyone know how I can avoid this next time? I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to eat through hot glue

sunstrider said:
Just a quick note while the resin is drying. It appears to have eaten through the hot glue in some places and I'd had to kind of hang it upside down to keep it in shape while it dries.

Does anyone know how I can avoid this next time? I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to eat through hot glue

That happens sometimes. All I can say is, don't use hot glue. I hope it doesn't ruin your helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
the helmet turned out fine, I hung it upside down while it dried. But from now on, say for the chest and whatnot, if I don't use hot glue, what do I use?

Also another question. When I fiberglass the inside (maybe next weekend) do I need to fiberglass the inside of the visor too, or can I leave that plain to make it easier to cut out? And I'd use a dremel or something to cut it out right?

sunstrider said:
the helmet turned out fine, I hung it upside down while it dried. But from now on, say for the chest and whatnot, if I don't use hot glue, what do I use?

Also another question. When I fiberglass the inside (maybe next weekend) do I need to fiberglass the inside of the visor too, or can I leave that plain to make it easier to cut out? And I'd use a dremel or something to cut it out right?

Dude what is really weird,

is that I used hot glue to make my Reach Helmet, and when I was going to resin it I knew the small pieces of hot glue will dissolve or whatever. But when I resined it the resin just made the hot glue stronger.

weird?? :unsure

Alex spartan177 said:
Dude what is really weird,

is that I used hot glue to make my Reach Helmet, and when I was going to resin it I knew the small pieces of hot glue will dissolve or whatever. But when I resined it the resin just made the hot glue stronger.

weird?? :unsure

Yeah, the same's happened to me. I'm not sure what causes it, but sometimes it dissolves, sometimes it doesn't. :/

bobbio555 said:
Yeah, the same's happened to me. I'm not sure what causes it, but sometimes it dissolves, sometimes it doesn't. :/

I think, its the temperature of the resin.

Because the resin is supposed to burn you, but mine was just at room temperature and it cured normally

It was probably around 25 Celsius (just above normal room temperature) when I did it, maybe that's why.

So I'll aim to do it in a cooler environment, damn aussie weather.

Alternatively, I could reinforce some part with araldite or something.

Good news everyone! The new pics of my fiberglassed and roughly sanded helmet are up. Now it's just bondo, sanding and painting to go.

th_P1000043.jpgth_P1000044.jpg

th_P1000045.jpgth_P1000046.jpg

th_P1000047.jpgth_P1000048.jpg

th_P1000049.jpgth_P1000050.jpgth_P1000052.jpg

i suggest using a glue pen the glue is water soluable so it doesn't matter if you get it on your clothes where to find them general arts a crafts stores should have them and the glue is really strong oh down side dries pretty fast

Nice helm dude. i conquered one of these before. Took me a month to make. Oh and for the hot glue before resining make sure there are no holes internally because thats when problems happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back