N00B O.d.s.t Rookie Helm And Armor W.i.p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
party pooper said:
coming a long nicely. hope it turns out great.

Thank you I hope it turns out Nice too. im real proud of it so far. even though i have been forum searching here and have seen far better done By far younger in far shorter a time. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! Looks much better than my first pep. It always amazes me how people have so little time in their schedules and still find a way to make amazing work.

Keep it up! I will be watching this thread :D

The top front part of the ODST is some times the hardest to master but your peps looks good. keep updating us on your progress

OK Everyone.

1st I wanna say thank you to everyone who has cheered me on so far.

2nd Guess what? It's 5:30am hereand I have completed My Rookie ODST Pep Stage ( Stage One complete )

So without further Ado, i give you the completed Pe work, I feel that Its sloppy But for my very first pep i think its far more then adiquite. And anyway i will fix any imperfections in post when i resin bondo and sand the bucket.

dupdate01.jpg

dupdate02.jpg

dupdate03.jpg

dupdate04.jpg

dupdate05.jpg

Agai9n i wana say ty. Now if i can go to bed maybe i can wake up and resin this badboy. Gonna also Start printing The chest peices.

I guess i shoud get me one of hose cool Progress Signature things ***** Anyone willing to make me One? ******

Ok I did some resining before the rain came, Only resined the outer shell. Was only able to get One coat of resin on i hope thats enough. Tonight or tommorow im going to Slosh some Plastic Inside from Smooth on ( SmoothCast 300).

Let me Know what you think. There are a Few Spots like under the visor above the chin were i should have made the mountain fold more prominent (Rookie mistake) LoL, and there are some other parts, but im going to fix all of this in the bondo Stage.

Can anyone share with me there Bondo sanding Process as in the tools and tecniques they use in this stage to get into all the tight areas. Much appreciated....

finalresin02.jpg

Also i notice in this second pic that I didnt get enough resin on the right side of the visor, will this be a problem after I plasic the inside? Dont know will find out though.

finalresin01.jpg

Hey, it's lookin' sweet! Don't see any warping, everything looks good. If you want to make sure on the resin, there's nothing wrong with adding another coat, or touching up under-appreciated areas (in fact, it's recommended to do another coat or so to prevent warping when you start pouring plastic). If you don't get the chance, it's probably fine the way it is!

Sloppy? Not at all! That is a very nice 1st pep for sure. Oh and btw I have a question hehe...how much plastic would I need for only 1 helmet? Would a trial size kit be enough?

Hey azzarththanx for the vote of confidence. As for your question about how much plastic, I have the trial size as well but don't know if its gonna be enough. But there is a video on here by jedistumpy and he uses the trial size to do the inside so I'm guessing should be enough.

Btw flyerfye I will be adding a 2nd coat tommorow. And I picked up some bondo glass to bondo the oitside I hope t works well.

i.

Azzarth said:
Sloppy? Not at all! That is a very nice 1st pep for sure. Oh and btw I have a question hehe...how much plastic would I need for only 1 helmet? Would a trial size kit be enough?

ok Guys and gals, here is an update:

Today Got the second coat of resin on the outside of the helmet. Now tommorow at work Im going to plastic the inside

Flyerfye I have a Question well anyone can answer if they Like. After I plastic the inside should i Prime the Outside before Adding the Bondo, i mean Prime and light sand then Bondo or do the opposite? i picked up a Nice can of Sandable primer today for this step.

Also can anyone tell me does the rookie Have Lights Anywere on his helmet, if so whats there location so i can start planning them out.

If all Goes well should be bondo'd and Smoothed for paint By next weekend.

Also I have printed out the chest and some other parts gonna pep the chest either tonight or tommorow.

Stonefist_Rookie_001.jpg

Outdoorresin_2ndcoat.jpg

Azzarth said:

hey Azzarth I just finnished Doing the Interior with plastic, And and my trial kit was more than addiquite for it, As a matter of fact there is plenty left over and that was a jenerouse amount I used. I will post some pics when I get outta work.

**********N00B Mistake UPDATE#1*********

IF ANYONE WISHES TO GO THE ROUTE OF PLASTICING THE INSIDE WITH SMOOTHCAST 300 OR ANY OTHER PLASTIC PRODUCT. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND USING A GLUE GUN TO MAKE A BASE WITH THE HOLE IN THE MIDDLE, I STUPIDLY USED BLUE PAINTERS TAPE, AND IN A FEW SPOTS THE PLASTIC LEAKED OUT MOST ALL ONTO THE FRONT OF MY CHIN PEICE. AND LEMME TELL YOU IT'S A BIUTCH TO CAREFULLY REMOVE IT WITH AN EXACTO KNIFE. I WILL REPAIR MOST IN THE BONDO AND SANDING STAGE. bUT IT COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED, HAD I JUST USED A GLUE GUN TO ATTACH AND SEAL. LESSON LEARNED

I will Post some pics of this mistake when i get Home. im at work. Also i have now Since moved on to Adding a sandable primer coat, Now to bondo-glassing and sanding today or tommorow.

Ok here are the pics of the mistake that I made. I hope this helps other new members and thos looking to Do the inside of there helmets in plastic.

IMG00222-20091011-1317.jpg

Above you can see the plastic starting to OOze out of the blue painters tape

IMG00221-20091011-1317.jpg

And getting the tape off Now becomes a problem because some of the plastic fused to the tape and the resin.

IMG00223-20091011-1317.jpg

And here you can see the mess this lil mishap did to my chin area, this will have to be sanded and smoothed with bondo Later on. but could have been avoided if i made the cardstock bottom I made adhere with hot Glue, that way it would have been a Air tight seal well at least a leak proof seal.

Chaulk this up to a learning experience.... LOL

Anyhow i did manage to clean most up and Then I layed down a coat of Sandable primer. here is how she's looking so far still not to bad considering i have never done this in my life..

IMG00229-20091011-1524.jpg

IMG00227-20091011-1524.jpg

Nice pep work dude. Sucks about the resin leak. That;s why in my video (which I'm guessing you watched) I covered up the entire bottom to prevent want you did. But you're right it can be fixed with a little sanding.

QUESTION: What scale did you use? (height: ?)

Thanks!

Keep up the good work!

JediStumpy said:
Nice pep work dude. Sucks about the resin leak. That;s why in my video (which I'm guessing you watched) I covered up the entire bottom to prevent want you did. But you're right it can be fixed with a little sanding.

Thanks!

Keep up the good work!

OMD#G I have been Visited By the Jedistumpy, Im honored

yes I did get the idea from your Video, and Btw I did cover the entire Bottom unfortunately I secured it with Blue painters tape. LOL

Ummm As far as the scale i used the ral partha Rundown unfold, and left it at the default scale fit perfectly if you want I can Open it back up and Give you the exact scale.

Again im honored that you like my pep work. And you keep making those Videos for the n00bs like myself to get inspired by.

JediStumpy said:

Thanks!

Keep up the good work!

hey jedistumpy, in response to the hieght of the helmet that i used as i said its the defalt of the ralpartha Rundown... but here are the numbers Straight from pep designer 3

hieght: 299mm

Width: 253mm

Depth:314mm

Scale: 558.710199

printed on letter size Card stock

Portrait mode and when it asks if you want to resize to fit the page cause there are areas out of the Set boundries Hit no.

I hope this helps you out man, Your video was the first i watched here on the 405th and the one that actually inspired me to do a roject.

noobzor said:
interesting method. Would this be sturdier than the hot glue method?

Your answer is Yes. Polyurethane Plastic is extremely more sturdy than the hot glue method. SmoothCast 300, which is what I used has a Tensile Strength of 3000psi and a Comp. Strength of 4500psi. If you get a minimum layer 1/4 inch think it very strong. Like dropping it from your head level it will just bounce.

Thanks for giving me the scale. That is what mine also opens up to as well (defult size when you open) but thanks for giving me all the info!

Glad I could help guys! Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back