N8TEBB's Mk 7 Build!!!!!

N8TEBB

Member DIN
S410
I want to make a mk 7 suit this summer. I'm going in with a bit of a plan but really I plan on making it up as I go along.

This is what I want my spartan to look like when all is said and done:
Screenshot_446.png
Screenshot_448.png
Screenshot_449.png
Screenshot_447.png
Screenshot_450.png

I think the shoulders will be different, maybe the handplates, and different paint job on the gun too. Not sure what I've decided on for the pouches either. But the armour I hope to get pretty darn close.

They say aim for the sky and you'll land among the stars, so we're shooting for tier 3 but don't be heartbroken if I land among tier 2.

These are my main goals:
-I want to be able to suit up without help
-I want reasonable flexibility. I know that with extra details comes less flexibility, but we're going to try out best.
-I want to achieve a slick undersuit, this is going to be my main challenge and it is my chief suit's biggest weakness
-Those proportions gotta be right. No bobble head or really long torso.
-maybe have 2 sets of boots, one lifted????

We're making it all out of foam besides the helmet and a few small details which are printed. I'm on co-op with my uni until september, so it HAS to be done before then. We're going to do out best.

Here's what I've done so far:
I've collected files for the helmet, suit, and undersuit, and have started scaling in armorsmith.

Screenshot_445.png

Unfortunately for me my arms are really long which presents some interesting challenges. But we can work with this. The forearms are rotated weird in armorsmith so they're hard to rotate, but everything else went on quite nicely. Let me know if you think any of the pieces should be adjusted! I'm open to ANY suggestions you have!!

I think I'm going to start with the hardest part: the undersuit. I'm going for a carbon copy of Jerverant's undersuit. Update to come soon on how that's going.
I'm also referencing these undersuits for inspiration and ideas, but jerverant's will probably be what I try to copy:

See yall when I've made progress on the ab wrap.
Thanks for reading

You and I are similar when it comes to our orangutang arms. Lol. What I did was leave the bicep piece at the normal 100% all around, bu my thing the forearm is at 110% just on the length. That way it lines up with my wrist better but covers my elbow gap. When i get my new arm set complete I’ll show you. And I’m about 5’10”. If I remember correct, we’re about the same build.

You and I are similar when it comes to our orangutang arms. Lol. What I did was leave the bicep piece at the normal 100% all around, bu my thing the forearm is at 110% just on the length. That way it lines up with my wrist better but covers my elbow gap. When i get my new arm set complete I’ll show you. And I’m about 5’10”. If I remember correct, we’re about the same build.
Did you scale everything in armorsmith before you printed? If you did can you send a screenshot of what it looked like? I think when I did my chief suit I had to extend my shin pieces and forearm pieces, so that's probably what I'm going to do.

Did you scale everything in armorsmith before you printed? If you did can you send a screenshot of what it looked like? I think when I did my chief suit I had to extend my shin pieces and forearm pieces, so that's probably what I'm going to do.
Yeah I can. I’m currently at work, but I can when I get home

I want to make a mk 7 suit this summer. I'm going in with a bit of a plan but really I plan on making it up as I go along.

This is what I want my spartan to look like when all is said and done:
View attachment 330921View attachment 330923View attachment 330924View attachment 330922View attachment 330925
I think the shoulders will be different, maybe the handplates, and different paint job on the gun too. Not sure what I've decided on for the pouches either. But the armour I hope to get pretty darn close.

They say aim for the sky and you'll land among the stars, so we're shooting for tier 3 but don't be heartbroken if I land among tier 2.

These are my main goals:
-I want to be able to suit up without help
-I want reasonable flexibility. I know that with extra details comes less flexibility, but we're going to try out best.
-I want to achieve a slick undersuit, this is going to be my main challenge and it is my chief suit's biggest weakness
-Those proportions gotta be right. No bobble head or really long torso.
-maybe have 2 sets of boots, one lifted????

We're making it all out of foam besides the helmet and a few small details which are printed. I'm on co-op with my uni until september, so it HAS to be done before then. We're going to do out best.

Here's what I've done so far:
I've collected files for the helmet, suit, and undersuit, and have started scaling in armorsmith.

View attachment 330926

Unfortunately for me my arms are really long which presents some interesting challenges. But we can work with this. The forearms are rotated weird in armorsmith so they're hard to rotate, but everything else went on quite nicely. Let me know if you think any of the pieces should be adjusted! I'm open to ANY suggestions you have!!

I think I'm going to start with the hardest part: the undersuit. I'm going for a carbon copy of Jerverant's undersuit. Update to come soon on how that's going.
I'm also referencing these undersuits for inspiration and ideas, but jerverant's will probably be what I try to copy:

See yall when I've made progress on the ab wrap.
Thanks for reading
Love the progress so far! I have a couple suggestions regarding scaling, the cod piece will be bigger than you will expect, perhaps scale down on the X axis depending on your end goals, and I’d also recommend making those forearms a good bit larger! Good luck I will keep tabs on your project :)

Love the progress so far! I have a couple suggestions regarding scaling, the cod piece will be bigger than you will expect, perhaps scale down on the X axis depending on your end goals, and I’d also recommend making those forearms a good bit larger! Good luck I will keep tabs on your project :)
Right! I've been thinking I'll make the forearms a tad bigger too. For the cod piece, I think I will keep the scale how it is, but when I actually make it I will make it a bit shorter around and modify it from there. Thanks for the tips!

I swear Ive been working on this project and will have an update soon...

But I have a question in the mean time: Do multiplayer spartans not have lights?? Like can I really not turn them on?
Screenshot_449.png
Screenshot_448.png

They look like just decoration on the armour, they don't even look like lights! Is this the case?

OKOK I'm giving an update on the ab wrap section despite the fact that it is not done. It's a really tricky thing it is.

AB WRAP UPDATE
TD;DR: Ab done but idk how to close it at the back. Tried zipper, it broke. Don't want Velcro. Need ideas.

I started with the ab section because I though it would be the hardest, and oh boy is it not easy. I used the attached pdo file to get the larger shapes cut out of 4mm EVA foam. Then, I used faux leather (that does not stretch) to cover the foam. I bought the leather at fabricland. I used contact cement to glue the leather to the foam. I made sure to wrap it around the edges.

Then I sewed all the pieces together. I initially tried gluing, and using a thin layer of foam to glue it all to, but you would always be able to see the glue if the pieces stretched, which I did not like. So, I've been using the ultra slow method of hand sewing to attach all the pieces together. Here is what the progress is:

IMG_9369.JPG

Foam and back of faux leather

IMG_9370.JPG

Contact cement on, waiting for it to dry

I guess I didn't take a picture of the piece by itself?

IMG_9391.JPG

All pieces (except spine) assembled

IMG_9390.JPG

Inside
In the middle, you can see that these are the first pieces I attached, and wasn't sure which method of attaching I was using. You can see that my stitching is exceptionally bad, as this is really the first time I sewed anything by hand. You can see that I improved slightly over time.

IMG_9495.JPG

Stiching along the back piece
It's better than the front. Still not great but better XD

IMG_9492.JPG

Current state

IMG_9493.JPG

Side view

IMG_9494.JPG

Back view (no spine yet)
I think if looks great! It fits me really snugly as well. I made a duct-tape dummy of just my torso to figure out how I'm going to get in and out of it. I'm still trying to figure out how I will be able to put in on and take it off. I did have a zipper along the opening, but having a zipper go along that curve put a lot of stress on it, and it broke after a few open-close cycles. Yesterday I tried using magnets, but unless they're ultra-strong I don't think they will work too well. I have those laces they put on snowboard boots coming in the mail, so maybe those will work. The problem with the opening is that it is not a straight line, and when you close it it needs to push the back plate out sort of.

I was considering Velcro, but seeing as the opening is on the back I think it would be difficult to put on and off without someone else's help. I want this whole suit to be independent, as in I want to be able to put it on without someone else's help.

IMG_9405.JPG

Spine Piece
The spine piece will be attached to the flat plate on the back once I figure out how the ab wrap will close at the back. I actually made the spine twice, I still have to paint the second one. I bought flexible paint that I think will work better than spray paint, and want to use it on the spine. I had already painted the spine piece in the picture above when I bought the paint though.

In the pdo file the spine is really complex and very scary, but it doesn't have to be!

1685884219621.png

Spine in pdo file
Instead of using4-5 small pieces of foam to make each part of the spine, just use thick foam and carve the whole shape out of it. It makes it so much easier to work on! This is how the whole spine section was made from 8-9 pieces of foam! I didn't wrap each piece in leather though. That would be tricky. Also, the spine is a slightly different colour, so painting it won't be out of place!

Scresenshot_450.png

Reference of Back

Screenshot_450d2.png
Reference of Front

Anyways, this is where the ab section is at right now. I have a bit of foam armour pieces made that I will update you guys with soon, but I wanted to show this first. If you have suggestions on how to close the ab section at the back please let me know!!!

Attachments

• MK7_Techsuit_Torso_MNKr (1).pdo
    1 MB · Views: 118
I originally used a zipper for my first undersuit but it ended up being easier to take it on and off like a T-Shirt. If it is flexible enough between pieces (eg elastic/stretchy material) you may be able to do the same.

Another option if a zipper / Velcro is a no go, I’d recommend using strong ‘Snap Buttons’

It’s looking great so far btw too!

I originally used a zipper for my first undersuit but it ended up being easier to take it on and off like a T-Shirt. If it is flexible enough between pieces (eg elastic/stretchy material) you may be able to do the same.

Another option if a zipper / Velcro is a no go, I’d recommend using strong ‘Snap Buttons’

It’s looking great so far btw too!
I am now thinking about not having it open all the way and using stretchy material or laces of some sort. Great idea! Thanks for the support!

Working on the grunt made me fall in love with buckles (parachute clips), have you considered those?
I have indeed thought of it, but they would need to go on the inside to be hidden, which would make them quite difficult to undo. Because of this I quickly moved them to the "ehh prolly not" bin of ideas. I will be using them in other parts of the suit for sure though!

I swear Ive been working on this project and will have an update soon...

But I have a question in the mean time: Do multiplayer spartans not have lights?? Like can I really not turn them on?
View attachment 331875View attachment 331876
They look like just decoration on the armour, they don't even look like lights! Is this the case?
I think there’s supposed to be a flashlight on the gun

Ok It's time for a bit of an update. My problem is I don't like posting stuff until I'm happy with it. But I realize that If I only posted pictures I was happy with I would only post a finished suit. That being said, this is very much work in progress. All of the foam has to be sanded and filled, and details must be added.

Foam Armour Update

I have made 2 shins, 2 thinghs, part of the COD piece, and the torso.

IMG_9422.JPG

Thigh template cut out

IMG_9464.JPG

Thigh foam pieces cut out

IMG_9467.JPG

Thighs and shins
I think these parts look quite nice! They were not too difficult to put together. However, I'm worried they may be too small. Chances are I will be remaking these parts. They fit so nice in armour smith, but they are too snug in real life. Also, I want to add a bit of height to my spartan, so that will exaggerate the sizing issue. Stay tuned for updated shins and thighs...

IMG_9752.JPG

Torso!!!
I just finished this part like 5 minutes ago and I'm so happy with how it's looking!! I know, I know, It's rough. But this is only the base shape of the piece, I have to go and even out all the seams with the sander, and add layers and details to certain places. I don't even have the thrusters on yet! But I figured I'd show you guys where we're at with this piece. It's taken me WAYYY longer than normal to make this part. It has over 100 pieces!! Most of which have to be mirrored!

IMG_9751.JPG

All the bits
You probably can't tell that there's sizing problems from this picture, only when I'm wearing it. I will try and take a picture at some point to show the problems, but until then I'm going to work on the shoes I think. I figure if I start with the bottom and work my way up I will get a better idea of how it will all come together, and won't be trying to imaging the other pieces there.

I bought a pair of elevator shoes to make me a bit taller, so hopefully I can incorporate those into my costume quite nicely.

Ok It's time for a bit of an update. My problem is I don't like posting stuff until I'm happy with it. But I realize that If I only posted pictures I was happy with I would only post a finished suit. That being said, this is very much work in progress. All of the foam has to be sanded and filled, and details must be added.

never read a more relatable paragraph. Suit looks great btw, I don't even really notice any of the roughness you mentioned.

Got another thread to start watching

As promised here's some pictures that show my progress. I think if the shins and the thighs were slightly bigger, especially taller, I'd be in better shape. I still don't have the knee pads made so take that into consideration though.

What do you think?

Screenshot_450d.png
Screesnshot_448.png

IMG_9753.JPG
IMG_9763.JPG
IMG_9766.JPG
IMG_9771.JPG

Also, yesterday I worked on the boots! You can see them in the first and second pictures. I still have to make a cover to hide the logos but I think they came out quite nice! I'll make another post later about the boots.

Also, what are yall wearing for your under suits these days? Like, I still have to make some detailed pieces so it's not just black, but I will have to sew all that stuff to something. For the pictures I just stole the compression stuff from my chief suit, I still have to buy somth for this one.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back