N8TEBB's Mk 7 Build!!!!!

Love how clean your foamwork is, looking forward to seeing the paint come together
dont look too closely
1692184490836.png

thank you for the compliment!

Next, I do some primer. I know it's not entirely necessary to do a layer of primer, but personally I think it helps make sure the paint looks its best. Sometimes paint on its own doesn't cover plasti dip as well as i'd like.

I don't do foam builds so I really don't know... Thus why I'm asking... If you look for flexi paint specifically for foam builds, are you using a specific flexi primer as well? Because if you don't, is there a concern about 'regular' paint not flexing with the foam and then cracking?

I don't do foam builds so I really don't know... Thus why I'm asking... If you look for flexi paint specifically for foam builds, are you using a specific flexi primer as well? Because if you don't, is there a concern about 'regular' paint not flexing with the foam and then cracking?
So Plaid FX does sell a "clear primer" but it is also the same thing as their clear coat. In their videos on youtube they recommend painting directly to foam. They say doing an extra layer of paint is essentially the same as doing a layer of primer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. But because I couldn't apply the flexible paint as nicely as I had thought, I decided to use regular spray paint instead.

As for spray paint cracking when foam flexes - yeah, that happens. It's just something I'm willing to live with. In most places it's not bad if it happens at all, but in the areas that get a lot of flex (typically the knee areas as I like to kneel a lot in photos) there is noticeable wrinkling. For the most part, any general eye won't even take notice that the knees are a bit more worn than the rest of the suit, and even if you did take notice I most certainly think it does not take away from the overall appearance of the suit. I've had my chief suit for about 3 years now, and I still take full body pictures without worrying about wrinkled paint. I'm also probably harder on my suit than most people, so if anyone has bad wrinkles, it's me (you can catch me rolling around in it, flipping through inflatable obstacle courses, or maybe even having a peaceful nap in a puddle). This is probably one of the most recent photos of the chief suit, and as you can see (if you zoom in) the cracking is hardly noticeable, especially with the weathering I painted on.
IMG_0480.jpg

Use the brighter color so you can apply blackwash to darken as desired. Tiny bit more difficult to add brightness without repainting the whole thing

N8TEBB Thanks for the very thorough writeup about the regular paint on foam. I think I would be of the same mindset that its not an issue to worry about if its still looking good after 3 years of abuse.
Besides if knees have some wear do to abuse its just from all the super-hero landings you do.

wowzers, this build is coming along sooooo well, been seeing you pop up on my thread and decided to check in and see what you were working on and im glad i did, but yeah i agree with the others here, its easy to darken brights but not bright darks. go with the brighter and tone down to the results youre looking for.

WOW it's a good thing I asked yall about the colour. I almost didn't buy the lighter red, thinking to myself aloud in home depot "this dark red colour is probably just what I need" but then I saw the lighter red and bought that too just in case. Good idea there. After a lot of masking and a bit of spraying, the red, black, and grey have all been applied!

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

tada!!

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

I've also started the weathering, it really makes a big difference!

IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0384.JPG
IMG_0385.JPG

I've got a few more pieces to weather tonight, and then I can also do some silver on the edges to look like paint chips. After that it's time for a clear coat and the armour will be done! I also have to dye the visor before the suit is 100% complete. I only have tonight and tomorrow night, because Fan Expo is in 2 days!! AHHHH!!!!

Well, Thursday night I finished the final bit of weathering and the clear coat. Suited up for the first time at 11:30pm when I was getting up at 6:30 the next day to drive 4 hours to Toronto. I wouldn't say I did a lot of con crunching, you could say it was perfectly timed though XD. I had an absolute BLAST at Fan Expo in Toronto with the Canadian regiment and a few of our American friends too! Here's some photos of me all suited up at the convention
IMG_0764.JPGIMG_0701.JPGIMG_0788.JPGIMG_0717.JPGIMG_0821.JPGIMG_0779.JPGIMG_0802.JPG20230827_114253.jpgIMG_0806.JPGIMG_0761.JPGIMG_0692.JPGIMG_0818.JPGIMG_0887.JPG
members in photos: Benton188 Pixelcube PaiganBoi Ryujiro hoodster31 Rock Lobbster Schankerz NewBrody Angus314 (idk jim's or sam's @)

The suit held up better than I expected! I didn't have to do too much maintenance besides the occasional under suit readjustment or hand plate re-glue. I was able to sit, kneel, and dance all day without anything falling apart! I still hope to do more with the under suit, as it's just black compression stuff right now. I did spend a week or so trying to sew a nice red-leather section for the knees, but had too much trouble and ended up using red tights for the convention instead. I hope to return to that and finish it.

Let me just say, if you've never tried tall shoes, you're missing out. I'm slightly above average height (5'11") but with the extra 3" I get in my boots I'm a full head taller than most people. It boosts your confidence by TON and makes you feel WAY more spartan like. Never making a spartan suit without them again. XD

your foamwork blew me away, especially after seeing it up close. From the range of movement to the overall scaling it really seems like you took a lot of pointers from your Chief (which was already amazing) and took it to the next level.

Seeing you crest the hill in the park Friday at the shoot and arriving right on time. Couldn't have timed it any better for sure lol. As the others have already said, your suit looked so darn good, blown away by the mobility of it too especially with lifted shoes. Just need to figure out those pesky little hand plates. *fist bump* my hammer bro.

Your suit looked absolutely gorgeous this weekend and it was great meeting you in person!!
Thank you so much!! Great to meet you too finally!!

your foamwork blew me away, especially after seeing it up close. From the range of movement to the overall scaling it really seems like you took a lot of pointers from your Chief (which was already amazing) and took it to the next level.
Thank you! See? I told you remaking the thighs would be worth it! XD
Great to see you Lobb!

Seeing you crest the hill in the park Friday at the shoot and arriving right on time. Couldn't have timed it any better for sure lol. As the others have already said, your suit looked so darn good, blown away by the mobility of it too especially with lifted shoes. Just need to figure out those pesky little hand plates. *fist bump* my hammer bro.
Thanks! Yeah... gonna make a better mounting system for those plates hehe. So happy I got to meet you Benton!

Man i wish i was there to see your build N8te!
Toronto's only a short 24hr drive from your location! You can use that new drivers' license of yours ;) haha. Hopefully I'll get to meet you too one day ImBla

For all of you tier 3's out there:
It's always been a goal of mine to have a tier 3 suit. Unfortunately, I cannot work on the suit until my next co-op work term with my uni which will be this January, so until then I want to know: How close am I to a tier 3?

I know for sure a few things would have to be changed:
-shoulder needs to be painted yellow
1694113291013.png
20230827_205733016_iOS cropped.jpg

-I need to sew under suit sections for the knees (similar to Jeverant's) (& probably sections for the elbows and shoulders)
-need to make neck seal
-I know it says no straps can be visible, but the straps on the front are visible in the game. I can make mine more canon-like too
Screenshot_452b.png

-cat ears are removable, I'll take them off for deployment

But do you think there is anything else holding me back from a tier 3??

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back