Need help with materials (clay, molding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticLegend

Jr Member
Hello all, just joined the forum (finally).

Now....I'm planning on a Spartan Laser as my first Halo project, and already have my wood base. It'll be cut into the rough shape of the laser, then covered over by clay. Shaping will take a while, but I'll be happy with the results.

My questions though....
1. Everyone here is pushing for the Chavant Non-Sulphurated Plasteline Clay from HobbyCast. Why? I've done some looking, and for its type, it's practically the cheapest around, but.... is it the only clay that can be used? I found this stuff too, and though it's considered "economical", does that make it fail to plasteline?
2. When making the mold, silicon is the undisputed champion around here. Understandable, but....I've watched Adam and others fill their molds with liquid plastic. Is fiberglass a option for pouring into my mold? Will it ruin my mold? Are they using plastic just because it's lighter?
3. A mother mold....why plasti-paste? I have too much plaster sitting around my house, will that function as a decent mother mold?
Well, thanks guys. I know I won't have the first Spartan Laser in the world, but I hope it can at least compete with these others being made. This is gonna cost a lot.....
Edit: hehe, and I have a favor to ask. Does anyone know the other dimensions of the Laser? It's almost 40" long, but what about width and height? I can find values on my own, but I wanna make sure they're accurate, not guesstimated.

New pictures at the end! Casting in plaster works!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

sk8er4life

Well-Known Member
let me kno is your laser ever comes out. You could meake a red laser go in it that would be cool. I dont kno if any one has tried to make these so post pics so i cane see how its comin along ! :D
 

MysticLegend

Jr Member
iamyourcousin228 said:
let me kno is your laser ever comes out. You could meake a red laser go in it that would be cool. I dont kno if any one has tried to make these so post pics so i cane see how its comin along ! :D
Totally aiming to put a laser in there. It's actually why I decided to mold it instead of build entirely of foam and bondo. Plus, this will be a good starter project for my real aim....an Elite costume :rolleyes

Pictures will definately be taken. Out of all my projects, I want to finally do one where I document progress.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

attackinglife

Jr Member
Hello and welcome to the forums. I hope that I may answer some of your questions:
1. First of all, the two links you posted are the same. At any rate, Chavant NSP is not the only kind that can be used. I use Le Beau Touche, also by Chavant, and it works great. I think you can use most clays, but the thing is that if you use a clay that is not sulphur free, you will have to seal it. This is an extra step that is pointless if you can just buy the sulfur free clay. As for whether it has to be plasteline, I'm not really sure what plasteline means so I can't tell you.

2. I am not really sure if you could use fiberglass or not. The benefit of the process that Adam is using is that it is the process promoted by the manufacturer (smooth-on). Smooth-on sells a mold making kit and it comes with silicon rebound 25, plastipaste for the mother mold, and smoothcast 300 liquid plastic.

3. I think you would have to test the plaster to see if it could work. You would have to create two boxes around your mold and pour it in each one, but I think that could work (just test it to be safe).

Good Luck with your Spartan Laser and I would love to see some progress pics.
 

MysticLegend

Jr Member
attackinglife said:
Hello and welcome to the forums. I hope that I may answer some of your questions:
1. First of all, the two links you posted are the same. At any rate, Chavant NSP is not the only kind that can be used. I use Le Beau Touche, also by Chavant, and it works great. I think you can use most clays, but the thing is that if you use a clay that is not sulphur free, you will have to seal it. This is an extra step that is pointless if you can just buy the sulfur free clay. As for whether it has to be plasteline, I'm not really sure what plasteline means so I can't tell you.
Hehe, cool then. Hmmm....makes me wonder why people are buying that more expensive stuff then. I found 50 lbs of Klean Klay for way cheaper than I would pay for it at HobbyCast. I'm talking like....$100 cheaper! So, you don't think this other stuff will be a problem for modeling....and more importantly, molding?

http://www.kleanklay.com/

Thanks for the welcome and answers btw. Yay! Saving money will be very useful :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Barkode

Member
MysticLegend said:
Hehe, cool then. Hmmm....makes me wonder why people are buying that more expensive stuff then. I found 50 lbs of Klean Klay for way cheaper than I would pay for it at HobbyCast. I'm talking like....$100 cheaper! So, you don't think this other stuff will be a problem for modeling....and more importantly, molding?

http://www.kleanklay.com/

Thanks for the welcome and answers btw. Yay! Saving money will be very useful :)

It says it's non-drying, non-hardening, no-sulfur modeling clay, not sure about it being oil based though? Other that it looks to be alright.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MysticLegend

Jr Member
'Tis a good day. My two sample clays came, and here are the results:

1. NSP Pasteline Clay (Soft)
Man, for being "soft" clay....this stuff was hard! Still though, it was useful to model with, since you had to really really try to change its shape. It was also cool 'cause it shined if you smooted it out right.

2. Klean Klay (Regular)
Ahh....now this is the clay I'm used to. Soft, easy to manipulate, and cheap :D

[attachment=1554:DSC04317.JPG] [attachment=1555:DSC04319.JPG]

I decided to test out an idea I've had. I know people make plaster casts of their bodies with plaster and plaster bandages. So.....why not for models? I used some leftover Plaster of Paris from other projects of mine, and I had a couple scraps of bandages around too. Then I shaped my two clays into kinda "complex" shapes, then...plaster time!
They came out great. I'm gonna save a ton of money molding my laser (y)

[attachment=1556:DSC04321.JPG] [attachment=1557:DSC04323.JPG]
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top