Need some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

death

Hey I'm new to the forum and i have some questions. I HAVE seen the post warning noobs on starting with smaller things, but i want a challenge and i have some experience on molded things. I want to make the helmet from the mark V armor. First, what do you people suggest i use for the initial sculpture, the mold, and the actual final material for the helmet? I want to make it pretty realistic. I have made things like this before but never any mjolnir things. So any input will help a lot. Thanks!

ok thanks. i thought a bit longer and decided to do this> my friend got the halo 3 legendary edition. so i was going to mold his helmet. so now i just need to make a mold. its the mark V helmet so since the visor over the face plate is sorta separated, like it juts out more over the eyes, i will need to make a 2 part mold so i can get the helmet out after. i was planning to do the front half first, then the back half. i saw that awesome tutorial and i just want to clarify. so apply the separator things, then mix up the 2 part liquid rubber stuff. paint it on, allow to dry, repeat. Then add thickener and do the same. when its 3/4 to 1 inch thick, allow to dry then add the hard plastic jacket coating till its about a 1/2 inch thick. When its done, do the same to the other half of the helmet. when both halves are complete, use the separators to bolt the two halves together. Mix up some polyurethane and pour into mold. Rotate the mold in all kinds of directions to evenly apply the polyurethane to all parts. Continue this till its about a 1/4 inch thick, then remove from mold when dry. Finally, continue adding layers of whatever your going to use till its the appropriate size. Sand, and paint. then add any last minute details. Please correct me anywhere i went wrong, and thanks again!

death said:
ok thanks. i thought a bit longer and decided to do this> my friend got the halo 3 legendary edition. so i was going to mold his helmet. so now i just need to make a mold. its the mark V helmet so since the visor over the face plate is sorta separated, like it juts out more over the eyes, i will need to make a 2 part mold so i can get the helmet out after. i was planning to do the front half first, then the back half. i saw that awesome tutorial and i just want to clarify. so apply the separator things, then mix up the 2 part liquid rubber stuff. paint it on, allow to dry, repeat. Then add thickener and do the same. when its 3/4 to 1 inch thick, allow to dry then add the hard plastic jacket coating till its about a 1/2 inch thick. When its done, do the same to the other half of the helmet. when both halves are complete, use the separators to bolt the two halves together. Mix up some polyurethane and pour into mold. Rotate the mold in all kinds of directions to evenly apply the polyurethane to all parts. Continue this till its about a 1/4 inch thick, then remove from mold when dry. Finally, continue adding layers of whatever your going to use till its the appropriate size. Sand, and paint. then add any last minute details. Please correct me anywhere i went wrong, and thanks again!
You might want to make sure he is alright with it first beforehand... He might get P-Oed if it gets ruined... :\

Last edited by a moderator:
death said:
woud the 2 part liquid rubber mold stuff hurt the helmet?

It might etch or burn the plastic. Test it on a SMALL area of every type of surface on the helmet.
Better be safe than sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
uh oh... maybe ill try just to sculpt my own helmet to start. of course, it wont come out nearly as good :( (im not very artistically um 'gifted') but ill try my best lol

also, do you think ill need a degasser? a video i found here showed the guy using one on his mold making stuff. if you dont know, a degasser gets all the air out of a resin or something before it cures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back