Needing help and advice on building my first set of armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me and whereisdanielle were talking about this the other day. The best way for newbie to start.

For some good EVA Foam tutorials go look up AndrewDFT, EvilTed and Punished Props ( Bill Doran ) on YouTube.
AndrewDFT has an ODST build and templates, that he goes through step by step.

Punished Props = Yes
Evil Ted = Yes
Dft = No

Personally I feel if your learning to make something you should learn how to do it correctly. Both Punished props and Evil Ted are a great scource of information.
In fact I believe that Evil Ted makes props and armour as his full time job.
Although DFT is a personable guy and has some easy looking tutorials. He also has some pretty bad habbits which I dont think even people learning should be doing.

Better! However, when chamfering your edges, do not do what Andrew DFT does, if you can help it. What I do is pivot the razorblade while I cut to get a really nice chamfered edge. It makes the seam much cleaner.

Also, I hear that you don't really like hot glue...try contact cement. It glues much stronger, has no overflow, and is virtually seamless. try that out if you would like.

Anyhow, great job! you're getting there!!

DFT bad habbits XD.

I use the underside of a ceramic mug to sharpen my blades for crisp edge.

One thing I would reccomend is if you are planning to make a whole suit, make the body first. This way by the time you get tho the head you would have improved.
The helmet is the main selling point of a suit so you wanna make it reel güd.

Keep it up, looking good for first time foam work.

Last edited:
Everything mawrTRON said times a million. DFT has SO many bad habits that I'd lose a year of my life trying to list them all for you. Do yourself a favour and skip him in favour for Evil Ted.

Alright I'll watch punished props and evil ted and try some more armor tomorrow. Thanks so much for all the help guys and gals.

I have noticed a couple of things with DFT but, I didn't realize he had that many bad habits. I'm pretty new to foam building myself so, live and learn.

Guys,

While I can agree w/ you in regards to DFT's "Bad habits"......I think his intentions...although he gets paid for his templates......are well meaning and for the betterment of Cosplay. I have been building my own S-104 suit and have already completed my son's MC so I do have some exp w/ using foam. His templates have been helping me w/ my daughters suit which I will be completing shortly. Are some of his templates a bit skewed.....are some of his techniques in gluing and cutting not what I would do..... yes, yes and yes but nothing is so bad that our own exp couldn't correct and improve upon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back