It's been a while since I finished the Airsoft Spartan Laser. I've been busy and I did do an acurization and airsoft conversion of the Jasmin laser tag Plasma pistol but I NEEDED a full-scale Covie weapon with lights and animation for the CON and airsoft circuit. The once-pricey Neca Needler caught my eye. Huge but plasticy. It had lights and some animation (the needles retract a little bit, but nothing like in the game) and sound (from a tiny scratchy speaker). When a cheap one caught my eye, I came up with a plan.
Before anyone gets all angsty about airsoft and cosplay, I've been down this road with my airsoft Spartan Laser. I fully support the 405th's policy that we are a communityc of cosplayers and that there is no express or implied ability for the armor built using the techniques on this site to in any way be suitable protection for any extreme sport (including airsoft). You need ANSI-certified (or whatever your home country recognizes) safety gear for any sport. The 405th has no part of that. Any projectile-firing replica must adhere to the standards of the country and the field you are operating at. Any projectile-firing prop that cannot be rendered intrinsically safe has no business at a CON or other public appearance. The 405th cannot accept any less than that from its members. I agree.
So, let's start with a cool, yet craptastic, Neca needler and see how far we can go in making the best replica we can.
Here are the project goals:
1. Convert the Neca Needler to an airsoft gun that can be configured to be CON legal
2. Must be able to shoot pink (red) tracer BBs
3. Must match the magazine size and fire rate of the in-game model (still deciding which game model to use)
4. All external screw holes and seams must be eliminated
5. Needles must fully retract like in the game and animation must match the depletion rate of the game model
6. BBs must track targets like in the game!
7. Exterior parts that are metal in the game must be metal on my prop
8. Exterior will be coated in Cerakote firearms finish with Gun Candy prismatic powder to match chameleon effect of in-game model
9. Must not creak and squeak like a toy (Neca original problem) and be tough enough to survive regular airsoft play and anything a CON can throw at it
10. Convert the Neca Needler into an exact replica of the game gun.
Wait!? Did he say tracking BBs like the needles track in the game?
Yes, I'm going to use a pair of 24GHz radar modules to track targets and adjust the flight of BBs.
Here's what Neca gave us
Here's the goal, the Needler from Halo Outpost Discovery
Keep watching this thread and my YouTube channel for updates.
Guess who's not coming back from the Slayer match--the guy in the Red Shirt
Signature Project: Halo 3 Working Airsoft Spartan Laser in Metal & Fiberglass
1.1 MB Views: 12