New Build [Halo 4 Recon Helmet]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got some more pep work done tonight+update on the helmet. The front of the chest if officially done now, so I’ll be starting on the back and thrusters tomorrow. Looking pretty symmetrical still which is good and after doing more math and checking against reference photos I think the scaling is probably fine which I will be able to confirm once I have the helmet. I spoke with SpartanRed (Armory Props) today and he said that the cast has been started and has a few slush layers down so it’s well on its way. Next update will come when I have significant progress done on the back. Thanks for reading!

Man. Every time I see your pep work, I'm astounded. I haven't seen pep this clean since LongShot X began his build! Definitely some impressive work. Keep it up!

The helmet cast arrived today! Overall it looks pretty good, only complaints are that there is a lot of random mistakes on the back of the helmet which isn’t a huge deal but will add to clean up time, and the back is a bit lopsided. The front looks excellent though and the level of detail throughout is impressive. I also was able to check the scale of the chest again as I now have the helmet as reference. With the helmet to compare to I would say the scale is fine. Haven’t had time to pep as since my last post I’ve moved. Updates on the helmet soon!

It’s hard to capture on camera, but when I was holding the helmet up to a light I noticed a number of areas that are thin enough that light is getting through. Might slush cast some rondo on the inside just to thicken the walls a bit unless anyone has other suggestions.

It’s hard to capture on camera, but when I was holding the helmet up to a light I noticed a number of areas that are thin enough that light is getting through. Might slush cast some rondo on the inside just to thicken the walls a bit unless anyone has other suggestions.
Rondo will likely add a bunch of weight but will work. Based on the colouring of the helmet I'd guess this was done with Smooth-Cast ONYX but you can double check with the maker to get a material match. You may have to lightly sand the inside to give the slushed on layer something to bite into but everything should be awesome.

Rondo will likely add a bunch of weight but will work. Based on the colouring of the helmet I'd guess this was done with Smooth-Cast ONYX but you can double check with the maker to get a material match. You may have to lightly sand the inside to give the slushed on layer something to bite into but everything should be awesome.
Awesome, thanks for the information. I’ll see if I can get one of the smaller kits from smooth on.

Pretty big update here. I’ve purchased the vufine (HUD), a pi zero w as well as case and SD card, all the adaptors that go with them, some fans, heat sinks, LEDs, a sacrificial pair of headphones and a custom visor for the helmet. I’ve gotten the visor area of the helmet cut out and am currently fixing the imperfections on the helmet with Bondo spot filler putty. I haven’t had much time to work on this project lately as I’ve been taking a few college courses online this summer and finalizing moving houses. Once that is all done (July 18th) I’ll be able to work on this project full time. Next update will be either the helmet painted or when the electronics arrive whichever comes first. Also for those interested in the programming portion of this project, I’ll be working on that quite a bit around July 26th as I’m going to New York with some friends and we will likely have down time a few nights plus the flights both ways so expect to see some OS and AI coding around then as well. Thanks for reading!

Made repairs, primed and painted red and black coats. White accents will go on tonight but here’s a small update for now. I put the black over the red after 24 hours but forgot that it takes 48 hours for this spray enamel stuff to fully gas off. Have one or two wrinkles but I think I’ll leave them and work them into the battle damage instead of sanding and restarting because they are really quite minimal. Vufine should be here tonight or tomorrow and the pi and accessories to go with it arrived. Thanks for reading!
588182A2-F314-4C38-882B-DA4B593393CE.jpeg
ABA0B889-889A-4401-91DF-C70A47A4BA8F.jpeg
AE4EE1C4-2427-4365-9CD4-34D67F4E554F.jpeg
D03DC442-24AD-433F-B7C0-79926646D377.jpeg

Small update, HUD works with the pi now, raspbian is running and I’m working on some text to speech control stuff in python so you can control the helmet with just voice commands. For those who aren’t familiar with the Vufine+, it’s basically a tiny 720p screen that appears larger due to how close it is to your eye. Ordinarily it would mount to glasses or a hat, however I will be mounting it to the inside of my helmet behind the visor to make the HUD. Updates to come soon, thanks for reading!
B7B073DA-104B-4351-97C3-7E83EF63288E.png

Image of the tiny screen
FF26FA77-EDF0-4997-A573-D5BC12440736.jpeg

Image of the actual eyepiece

Some of the electronics are in now. Pi is mounted, I added headphone speakers so that you can hear clearly inside the helmet but it doesn’t play loudly enough to be heard from the outside. This is powered via a portable battery pack mounted in the back of the helmet. Helmet is also now padded with a combination of scrap foam and some custom pads I sewed (although crudely). I plan on adding fans, LEDs (I filed out the chin area that can be seen in Madsens helmet on fireteam majestic screenshots. Working on temple lights soon) and a mic this coming week. I’m going to try to mount the HUD onto the visor so I’ll wait on the visor for that. On that topic I was wondering if anyone made custom visors? I was looking to see if I could commission a gold hex visor (think Halo 4/5 master chief) but to fit a recon helmet. If anyone knows someone who could do this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I pepped one of the shoulder things. I messed it up (very slightly) but I think I can fix it with Bondo so I’ll leave it for now unless it keeps bothering me.

Inside of helmet:

85FEB8BA-3CC3-4CCD-9033-DD8F497188AE.jpeg

Far view of helmet (to reduce fisheye effect):
76813C35-D267-4809-9F8A-59C6FF471FA8.jpeg

Closeup view to show detail:
0D89EE63-CF02-4A84-9E2A-E36EFDE7AF27.jpeg

Shoulder thing:
D81FEAB8-B070-4B86-8109-8862263F6E62.jpeg

Attachments

• 1BF3957E-8358-48BC-B09E-DE6E60B005DA.jpeg
    1BF3957E-8358-48BC-B09E-DE6E60B005DA.jpeg
    701.2 KB · Views: 139
Here’s me with the helmet on as well as another picture of the torso. You can see the new shoulder pieces in green that I pepped yesterday. It looks a bit odd because of my face lol. I think the scale of the torso looks good compared to the helmet as well, I was getting a bit worried again when I added the shoulder as it looked a bit too tall but seeing it with the helmet balances out. Thanks for reading!
B5C73E56-4FF0-438D-89B7-3D0634AB7744.jpeg

0CDF601C-6016-4913-9243-7FD08CAA7D7F.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back