New here and hoping to learn before i get started!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett1414

Hello, I am here because I want to try something new. Halo has been my favorite game since i was 8, and 11 years later i figured why not make a suit! I have been researching these costume ideas for a few days now and have made my decision to use pepakura. I look forward to cosplaying in the future and want to take up a new hobby. So now i have a few question for the community. How much on average is the cost of these suits? I'm about 5'10 and 170lbs so my guess would be $300-400? And my other question would be on average how long would it take to build a few months? a year To give you a more accurate description i plan on making a Halo 3 Security helmet with security shoulders, hayabusa chestplate with mark vi armor waist down. The reason behind this look is because that is how my character has looked for the past 6-7 years on H3. Oh i almost forgot how in the world do you get a visor to wrap all around a helmet such as the security helmet?

Well, this is interesting. Firstly, welcome to the 405th!

I wouldn't expect it to cost that much. I hear price points are closer to $100-150, and a good deal of that is often tools, so the more stuff you have on hand, the better off you are. Materials aren't particularly pricy. I'm making an ODST build, and I bought a big ream of 110lb cardstock for ~$10. If that entire thing had gone towards this project, I'd need two or three of those, at most. A tub of bondo is about the same price, and I expect roughly the same coverage, maybe a little less. Truth be told, I don't know the cost of resin or fiberglass because I have some laying around, but a little google searching will get you the prices for your area.

As for building, people can knock these things out surprisingly quickly, but that depends on how busy you are and how much attention to detail you put in. If you've got a reasonable amount of free time, I'd expect you could finish a full suit in three or four months, at best. Holding yourself to a deadline, though, generally isn't a very good idea.

Visors are... still something I haven't quite got figured out, and you're right in thinking a big one like on the Security helmet wouldn't be particularly easy. I saw an EVA build once that took advantage of the indentation pattern to, instead of a full visor, have a few windows in an orange-painted dome. To make a security visor, you could try something a bit ambitious like vac-forming (which isn't particularly difficult, I hear, but I haven't looked into it myself) or you could just try to heat shape a piece of plastic into the correct shape. Someone else will have to offer you more advice on that.

Anyway, my only advice to you, and indeed to any newcomer, is to do your research. There are a lot of great resources on the 405th, and more still out on YouTube. Safety, Materials, Planning, Scaling, Construction, Painting, Rigging, Electronics, there's some form of help out there for every thing you need to do. Read up as much as you can. It could take some time, but it's worth it. Then look around at some of the builds that are currently going on, and at some of the ones that pertain specifically to your interests. If the thread isn't too old, ask questions - almost everyone is willing to lend a hand. Learn what works and what doesn't work. Every minute you spend absorbing knowledge here will make your work easier and of higher quality.

Again, welcome to the 405th, and good luck.

Welcome to 405th. I'm a noob here just getting started myself, but the guys and gals on here seem at a minimum awesome at what they do and helpful as well.

For all the getting started, there's a ton of info here:
http://www.405th.com/f21/new-members-sticky-index-updated-08-05-2014-a-10744/

For the overview of building this seems to have a great deal of info. Good start and then search the forums for details and tips.
http://www.405th.com/f21/all-one-new-member-introduction-guide-34408/

For scaling, there's a couple links in Spitfire22V 's guide, but this one seemed to be easiest to follow:
http://www.405th.com/f19/halogoddess-how-scale-more-tutorial-31627/

When I'm searching, I usually go through Google. Type what I'm looking for and then add 405th to my search. I've had better luck personally finding specifics that way than using the in site search bar. You'll also potentially get some youtube hits that way as well.

Hope this helps you get started!

If you want step by step instructions I'd advise looking up "Spacemeat Cosplay" on YouTube! I've heard he has well made vids there! Unfortunately those are foam builds which wouldn't fit into your criteria, but generally foam is cheaper and much less harmful than using chemicals to harden Pepakura. But it IS your choice and I will respect and welcome it.

Hope to see progress soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back