New Odst Armor Started

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fear checking this thread out of fear i will need to change my pants... to late...

Seriously nice work rube, your stuff puts all other to shame! (looks at own work :cautious: )

Wow those shoulder straps look amazing. I never thought you could make them out of Bondo. I can't wait to see this finished completely.

RedToqusa:
Trying for a full suit.

Link4044:
Game-ish. It's not WETA and not quite game either. As long as it is recognizable as ODST I'll be happy.

MorphenJar:
You can make anything out of Bondo! Actually they're laminated slabs of closed cell foam (camping sleeping pad) skinned with bondo. I plan to cast them in urethane foam for flexibility.

rube said:
RedToqusa:
Trying for a full suit.

Link4044:
Game-ish. It's not WETA and not quite game either. As long as it is recognizable as ODST I'll be happy.

MorphenJar:
You can make anything out of Bondo! Actually they're laminated slabs of closed cell foam (camping sleeping pad) skinned with bondo. I plan to cast them in urethane foam for flexibility.

Sounds much better than my idea.

By the way, could you give a link to where I might be able to order some of that dyna stuff? I couldn't find the order form on their website.

Also, any tips for sanding the more recessed areas of the helmet? My dremel is wider than the sanding drum so I'm having a bit of trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morphen Jar said:
Sounds much better than my idea.

By the way, could you give a link to where I might be able to order some of that dyna stuff? I couldn't find the order form on their website.

Also, any tips for sanding the more recessed areas of the helmet? My dremel is wider than the sanding drum so I'm having a bit of trouble.
Advanced Auto Parts has the Dyna Delite. If you cant find that just about any polyester filler found at autobody stores works better than Bondo. For sanding, sandpaper stuck to popsicle sticks with double-sided foam tape.

hey Rube, in the castings you're making of your helmet, are you adding any weave (glass fiber cloth or similar) to the inside for rigidity, or is it just the Smooth Cast 300? Also, do you have any experience with the TEP plastics Quick Cast? You have blue silicone in a few shots where you're working with Lee's rifle, so I was thinking you might have used their products in the past.

I'm trying to determine what the best material would be for my eventual helmet cast. I know most guys on here have used Smooth-On, but I haven't really ever heard why.

DerKraken said:
hey Rube, in the castings you're making of your helmet, are you adding any weave (glass fiber cloth or similar) to the inside for rigidity, or is it just the Smooth Cast 300? Also, do you have any experience with the TEP plastics Quick Cast? You have blue silicone in a few shots where you're working with Lee's rifle, so I was thinking you might have used their products in the past.

I'm trying to determine what the best material would be for my eventual helmet cast. I know most guys on here have used Smooth-On, but I haven't really ever heard why.

Because their close to me (dallas) and are the industry standard. I honestly know no good, cheaper alternative.

DerKraken said:

Yes I had thought of using fiberglass to reinforce certain points but I don't think it's needed everywhere. If you try it be certain to use woven fiberglass. The chopped strand mat is only meant to be used with polyester resin. I don't think urethane will melt the binder holding the strands together and that would make it hard to get it to conform.

I haven't tried anything but Smooth-On's products. I haven't felt the need. The stuff works as advertised and they don't fart around getting it shipped to you.

instant-bacon.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back