New Odst Armor Started

Status
Not open for further replies.
The visors are dyed with dark blue Rit. Sorry about forgetting about the fact that you wanted clear. I'm currently waiting on my plastic supplier to restock PETG and when it arrives I'll get you the a couple of the clear. The visors are a little thin. I can only find .038 sheet here locally. I can order .080 but with a 4 4'x8' sheet min order it's too expensive.

can't wait till i get one, and how did the rit die work, and if you didn't already make it can i get a clear one, the visers sounds awsome congrats on getting them tinted and so far i think you are the only one to succsefully make ODST visers

Rube I would just like to say that the work you are doing on this Helm is just Epic. :lol:

I was just thinking of something, before you were looking for ways to tint the clear visor made of PETG and I see you used rit dye.
What if you molded the visors in a colored transparent sheet and used a black clear coat to darken it.

look at this vid and see the sheet of transparent colored pvc or petg I'm talking about. (not quite sure still need to research further)

sheets of this perhaps:
rigidpvcsheetvg1.jpg

I looked at alot of picks of the WETA helm and its in this picture you posted that gave me the idea to do this.

odstface.jpg

this one too:
med_gallery_2_4_2783822.jpg

look at the tint of the first visor picture it looks similar to the look of a a set of tail light I did for a friend last year. I was thinking that you should use a sheet of red transparent pvc or petg to vaccuform the visor then add a 1 to 3 coats of black clear coat to achieve a look similar to that of the WETA version.

this stuff work real well:
yhst6663025099896320303fd1.jpg

It's just a suggestion thats all, keep up the good work.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea the visors are thin, but IMO thats better in some ways. theyre more easily installed and workable than a motorcycle shield.

think im gonna build my own table asap. the problem is the oven. i cant weasel my way into the kitchen oven.

thanks again for offering to send the clears. im gonna have to make 2 helmets now, so i can use the one i have now and experiment with the other clear visors.

Crucible- Blue because the in game model (H3 as well as H3:ODST) has a metallic/mirrored dark blue visor. the multiplayer model is the only one with the Master Chief style (gold/mirrored orange).

To get accurate visor colors all we really need to be able to do is somehow get the visors chrome tinted. Regular silver/chrome on the outside but able to see through from the inside. Window tint has a small workability range, very small, but it CAN be worked. You gotta somehow use multiple peices and be VERY good and creative at hiding the seams, it used to be done in the automotive field to do rear windows and windshields when your tint roll wasnt wide enough to cover it all, albeit on a MUCH simpler scale. Thats what ill probably try first, doubt itll work but ill try it. Then theres always a coating facility with a minimum order of 2000 peices.

what i am planning on doing with my helmet for a visor is just using aluminum screen, like for a window. i used just the rubber stuff on my H2 and it worked great. Just layer it over a few times with the little squares going in different directions so they intersect, cant see in but can see out of it very well. also keeps you from over-heating in it cuz its breathable. could always paint the screen a different color too instead of keeping it the silver/aluminum color.

MandoMan531 said:
Crucible- Blue because the in game model (H3 as well as H3:ODST) has a metallic/mirrored dark blue visor. the multiplayer model is the only one with the Master Chief style (gold/mirrored orange).

That was my point - I'm aiming to make a navy-blue Multiplayer ODST helm for a friend, and I'm pondering whether it'll look better with a 'classic (gold) visor or a 'custom' (blue) visor. It's been done before - Skullcandy has a black visor in her Mk VI helm, Belakor put a silver one into his Recon helm..

Last edited by a moderator:
All I have to say in the nature of DIY, it's the builders call, ju know? If Crucible even wanted to make a visor in Blue Footed Boobie blue, he can. It's his armor. I chose black armor and a black visor cause I thought it was dope and I wanted to be different ;)

Obscessing over visor colors is kinda silly.

In other news, miss ya Rube!

Actually, it's not my armor :p

It's for a friend - I've said somewhere before that I want Scout armor, I think. But I'm torn on color schemes so i can't decide what visor color to go for there xD!

Okay, what the hell is that?... I think another bot has creeped through the cracks.

EDIT: That's better and Great Job on the helmet.

damn if this was a race for ODST, you would be owning me. seeing that video up there is very gradually tipping me towards vacuforming after pep
later all

I would like to know if Rube is even still alive. Haven't seen him on in ages.

Edit: Just looked at his profile. Apparently he still is alive. :p

Yup. I'm still alive and have been lurking from time to time. Nice to be missed *sniffle*. The Christmas season has pulled my attention elsewhere for a while and I have nothing interesting to post but I'll get back to the armor soon.

As to the visor color, I dyed them dark blue simply because it gave me better results than black dye. I checked with a few companies that offered vacuum metalization for the metallic blue look of the game version but the prices were not even close to affordable for a small run. I experimented with paints of various types but the results were not convincing.

FYI for anybody rolling their own, 155 deg. seems to be the best temperature for the dye bath. Any cooler did not allow much dye penetration and any hotter warped the plastic.

I'm still waiting for my local plastic supplier to restock PETG. Sometimes I despair. I live in the counties 10th largest city population wise but it seems more like a bunch of small towns clustered together from an access to materials point of view. Come to think of it, it's pretty much that way from all other points of view too. :)

Hey Rube, quick question on the visors, would they fit into a different scaled helmet?
(smaller scale?)
:D thanks,
Honk honk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back