New Odst Armor Started

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. they look really cool! Question is how are you going to tint? I know you posted on a paint like spay (for car tail lights) and NZ-TK posted saying you can use fabric dye.
are you planning on getting pulls done with pre-tinted plastic? I just want to know which direction you or other are wanting to go.
great work!

JediStumpy said:
Wow. they look really cool! Question is how are you going to tint? I know you posted on a paint like spay (for car tail lights) and NZ-TK posted saying you can use fabric dye.
are you planning on getting pulls done with pre-tinted plastic? I just want to know which direction you or other are wanting to go.
great work!

He has them pre tinted. But the ones I got are really hard to see out of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Rube are the visors goin to be pre-cut or will we have to cut them?

And BTW what do you use to make the visors look dark like the ones in the pics?

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

Enrisan:
I formed these myself. I was going to farm the forming out but the test pull worked so well I just used the ImproVac 3000.

NZ-TK:
I jumped right on the Rit dye suggestion but no joy yet. The plastic seems impervious to it.

Spartan137:
I think I have decided to carve the side pieces from foam using the pep as a template. That will let me close the gap between them and the sides more easily.

JediStumpy:
I haven't found any PETG that is tinted yet, still looking.

RadioactiV777:
Yeah, I never did hear from you after I shipped the visors to you. I wondered. I didn't think the tint was all that bad really.

ACDCrockr209:
The visors will be trimmed to a point. Final trimming is up to the installer. Toenail scissors work great for that. The latest visor was tinted with Tamiya Clear Smoke. At 6 bucks for a small spraycan (one visor) it's kind of an expensive route to go but it is an improvement on the taillight paint. Maybe I can figure out the dye process...

I also tried the auto window tint applied to the sheet before forming. It looked like a winner until the visor cooled and the tint film wrinkled. I'll try again with an already formed visor and form the tint over that

tamr8631.jpg

I jumped right on the Rit dye suggestion but no joy yet. The plastic seems impervious to it.

Hmmm PETg is hydroscopic and hydrophilic, so It should work I actually had this suggested to me buy someone that does it.. Are you using hot water with the dye?

NZ-TK:
I don't thing PETG is hygroscopic. I know Lexan is since I tried it and it bubbled badly. Which is why I went with PETG. I don't have time or proper equipment to bake out the water out of Lexan. PETG is polyester and the Rit dye pack specifically states that it will not work with polyester.

Sorry for not keeping contact after the visors were here, just thought I was starting to annoy you. XD
I 'm pretty close to getting the visor in my current helmet, but if you start casting it, count me in.
The visor tint was alright, It's just pretty hard to see when indoors.

rube said:
NZ-TK:
I don't thing PETG is hygroscopic. I know Lexan is since I tried it and it bubbled badly.

I'm fairly certain it is, it's just not AS hydroscopic as some polycarbonates (lexan). Depending on the age of the sheet you have (exposure to moisture), it can still benefit from a long slow bake before bringing it up to forming temperature. I've never had any trouble with it though. Of all the clear plastic sheet I've worked with, its by far the most friendly for home use. The fact that it's hydrophilic is the most interesting though ;)

Rube, All summed up the words and i came up with Super-fantastic-wonderful-looking-VISORS! / Helmet updates/ Other Missed armor parts. :D Looking forward to the visors Rube xD

absolutely insane. (y) the amount of detail is unreal. i will definitely be in the market for one of those. again, great work!!

Hey rube, just got my visor today. Thank you so much for the awesome job on these. I really wanted it non-tinted, but the absolute quality of it totally makes up for it. The plastic is thin, but the lines and angles are so sharp its amazing looking. I cannot wait to finish my helmet. Oh and once your orders and everything slows down, i would totally take 2 more, non-tined ones. And this time youll get compensation whether you want it or not :p . You were really awesome to do this for us. Let me know if theres ever anything i can help you with.

PS-did you ever get the rit dye to work? cuz the first thing i thought when i looked through the visor was "Hey i bet this is Tamiya clear", ive worked with it alot in model building, and stuff for my car. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back