New Odst Armor Started

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rube. Thanks so much, I couldn't wait to paint it. Here's what I came up with!

bfb815af99.jpg

Dayum! How did you paint that? It's hard to tell from the photo but it looks like its mostly bare metal with bits of black paint stuck to it. That ODST's seen some $%!t Really cool.

Now the post-mortem questions:

Was the casting thick enough? Slush casting with 300 takes forever.
Do the asymmetries stand out badly?
Did you fill that low spot on top?

The neck area is thin, I'm sure it will crack over time, everything else is a great thickness. I didn't fill thee dent on the top, because it's not that noticeable. Sure there are asymmetrical parts when you sit back and really examine it, but no one in their right mind would notice. This will be in the podcast, which was supposed to be up today (DAMN WMG, will be up tomorrow afternoon!)

Rube your skills are amazing I've been watching this for awhile now excellent job!

OMG Rube. You are my Hero. Can I Get Your Autograph? No? Your Helmet?

But I must say that is excellent. However much I'm going to regret asking this, you've probably answered this millions of times, but I just skimmed >_<

That mask is vacuum-formed from a wood model, right? And you used spray tint on it? Or colored plastic? If either, where is this purchasable? (This might be more appropriate in a PM if you find yourself thinking that way.)

But besisdes that, congratulations on being FREAKIN' AWESUME.

:tutu:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeez. Put in some yellow strips and itll look like a mean yellow jacket. Looks awesome Rube.

Truly a work of art... Amazing job rube! I just hope that my ODST Helmet will come out half as good as yours. (Why isn't he on Elite status?)

rube said:
Hello all,

Browsing the net one day I ran across this site by accident and saw the ODST pep files. Had to start building myself a set of armor. The helmet took me 3 days to glue up. My thanks to the people who created these and make them available for free.

Glued and resined. Fiberglassing started.

helm1.jpg

helm2.jpg

I made a plaster mold of just the visor pep then used that to cast a Bondo positive to sculpt a buck for vacuum forming an acrylic visor. The red paint still needs sanding and polishing. I think this shape was as close as I could get to the ODST visor shape without major modifications to the helmet.

mold2.jpg

plug1.jpg

plug2.jpg

Way better than Bondo polyester filler, sands much easier
bondo.jpg

Updates as I do em...

Hey, what material you used to make the visor, or how its called?

rube said:
Finally...

A couple of coats of rebound 25.

silc1.jpg

silc2.jpg

silc3.jpg

silc4.jpg

A few coats of thickened Rebound 25 and half of the backup shell.

silc5.jpg

Mold in the shell.
silc6.jpg

Ta Da!

I've got some Smoothcast 300 on the way but I just couldn't wait. I made a cast with
some Alumilite I had around.

cast1.jpg

Hey, can you make the list of materials you used to make the mold?
like the namoes for the plastics and all that stuff....

Spartan-Z61 said:
Hey, can you make the list of materials you used to make the mold?
like the namoes for the plastics and all that stuff....
If you read through the thread you will find them. Rube cant spoon feed info to everyone who ask's.

Rube- I've sent you a PM about purchasing a visor ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back