New recruit here, with his first question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good start......add a few more thin layers and I would say yes to the visor. If you don't, it may warp a bit. You want to keep the helmet symmetrical.

Looking good, how many layers have you done so far? I think I only ended up doing 2 layers total. 3 is probably the sweet spot.

Also, do I need to let the resin dry before moving on to another coat?
I did one light layer on the outside, two slightly heavier layers on the inside, then fibreglass after that. You should let it dry in between coats so you dont weigh the helmet down before it is sturdy from the dried resin and it collapses. It doesnt take very long for it to dry anyway if I remember correctly

I just did three light layers on the outside so far, though I didn't let the resin dry between the second and third coat. But I did keep some tongue depressors on the inside for support, and today I went outside and the helmet looks just like it was before.

I did one light layer on the outside, two slightly heavier layers on the inside, then fibreglass after that.
Interesting, honestly it'll work either way my dude. I didn't do any resin on the inside until I was putting in my fiberglass cloth. And then a slushed some rondo in there too.

Nice man! Id say it's up to you then if you wanna start cloth/matting the inside or put a layer of resin inside.
Tip though, always wear some nitrile gloves and buy a lot when putting in the fiberglass cloth. Your hands will get super sticky after a couple batches and its way easier to just switch gloves then fight it. Also, pre cut your cloth/Matt into smaller strips first.

Ok, so I am starting to prep for fiber-glassing the inside of my helmet. Do I need to mix the resin with the hardener and paint it on the cloth strips, or do I just dip the strips into the resin and paste it on the inside?

That's what I did! some people dip the pieces in themselves but I found it easier to brush them on. WARNING, you're gonna go through a bunch of paint brushes, I think I went through like 7 or 8 in this process. so buy some cheap 1-2" brushes from walmart and a 50 pack of nitrile gloves.

But to clarify yes, mix the hardener and resin, and then brush it onto the strips. Cut a lot of strips before hand so you don't waste the resin. Also I used red solo cups to mix my resin and did 1 Ounce Batches at a time.

If you are going to cut your own strips of fiberglass cloth. please wear some nitrile gloves so the fiberglass doesn't get stuck in your finger tips. I didn't use them the first time and had prickly fingers for a month.

For my pep pieces I used spray adhesive to lay strips of fiberglass down and poured some mixed resin over top that I slushed around and let cure before going back in w/ a brush to stipple it down and get the strips soaked. The slushed layer helped the fiberglass stay when I lifted my brush.

I think PerniciousDuke is the one who gave me that idea(?), but it could have been someone else. Having trouble finding the build where I saw someone do that.

For my pep pieces I used spray adhesive to lay strips of fiberglass down and poured some mixed resin over top that I slushed around and let cure before going back in w/ a brush to stipple it down and get the strips soaked. The slushed layer helped the fiberglass stay when I lifted my brush.

I think PerniciousDuke is the one who gave me that idea(?), but it could have been someone else. Having trouble finding the build where I saw someone do that.
THIS SOUNDS WAY BETTER THAN WHAT I DID

I don't recall who said it either but I have used this method and found it much easier to apply the fiberglass prior to mixing the resin but I will suggest doing it in small sections rather than the whole inside at once. After a while the spray adhesive gets less tacky especially on the areas that have heavy bends and undercuts and the cloth or mat (either works well) has a tendency to pull away or up depending on where the edge is. It will leave those pointy hard edges that will have to be cut away prior to Rondo-ing. It takes a bit longer to finish each layer, but it avoids the aforementioned issue. There is not adverse reaction between the adhesive and the resin. The end result is still the same, a good solid helmet.

Update Pics #3
Jeez it was a pain to secure the strips, but alas I wasn't able to get access to a spray adhesive.
I think I covered most of it, but please tell me if I missed any, I ran out of gloves lol.
IMG_0223[1].JPG
IMG_0224[1].JPG
IMG_0225[1].JPG

Sorry it's hard to tell from the picture. But as long as the things are over lapping you should be good!! Then apply the resin, then do one more layer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back