(new to 3d printing) Can i print OBJ files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonutMk6

I thought i could only print stl files but a template i have has obj files ripped from the game, do i have to modify the files or can i just print them as is.

I'm not a 3D Printer, but my understanding is that you can not print directly with the OBJ file format, the OBJ needs to be converted into a STL file using most modeling or mesh software, and then printed once converted to the STL format. One of our 3D Gurus should be be along eventfully to clarify.

Is an obj printable? That's a solid maybe with a few asterisks attached.

obj files are arguably better for defining an object that you want printed but if your slicer (Cura, Slic3r, PrusaSlicer, etc.) doesn't understand what you're feeding it then you're in for a headache. Most slicers currently do have support for obj files but again, that doesn't guarantee that it's usable for 3D printing. For an object to be printable it needs to be manifold (no holes, no intersecting faces, no zero thickness surfaces, plenty of other possible errors) for a slicer to create a layer by layer set of instructions to be converted to gcode for the machine. To be more user friendly some slicers have included an automatic repair tool for common issues in files but if the problem is too great such as the whole object being zero wall thickness it'll either make an interesting approximation or just outright fail at producing a set of gcode instructions.

So really, is an obj printable?
-Yes if your slicer supports the format.
-Yes if the model is well defined.

I thought i could only print stl files but a template i have has obj files ripped from the game, do i have to modify the files or can i just print them as is.
I did a quick test to check and threw an obj file into CURA.
Screenshot (40).png
it rendered in but holes in the geometry around the handle and stock showed up after slicing.
Screenshot (41).png
Using meshmixer i converted the obj to stl without any addition work being done to the model and some of the holes went away but a good amount remain.
Screenshot (42).png
This is what TurboCharizard is mentioning in the above post.

I did a quick test to check and threw an obj file into CURA.
View attachment 310097
it rendered in but holes in the geometry around the handle and stock showed up after slicing.
View attachment 310098
Using meshmixer i converted the obj to stl without any addition work being done to the model and some of the holes went away but a good amount remain.
View attachment 310099
This is what TurboCharizard is mentioning in the above post.
yeah im trying to print the halo 4 mk6 multiplayer armor and i was just wondering if its gonna be a solid object or if i have to modify it before i print it stuff like that

Ah, I'm sorry for my rushed answer on your other thread yesterday, I should have explained more. The .obj from the armory is probably a game rip, and for games/animations things are modelled slightly differently than how something modelled for 3D printing is. As Turbo described, non-manifold geometry is a big thing to consider for 3D printing, and in some aspects is something models for games and animations don't need to worry about. I like this site here when it comes to explaining what non-manifold geometry is. It also helps explain how to fix those problems in Blender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back