New Unfolded Patterns For Smoother Pep Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really love your pieces M. Oreo.

My only comment would be to keep the 6 scoring lines for the shoulder guard (the piece that goes on the shoulder not the bicep) and for the forearm (the big piece where there is normally a slot in the HD model) , since these pieces need to be really square, and without the scoring, they end up being more rounded that they are on the real MC armor...

If you don't get what I'm talking about... I'll sent you a picture after I get home from my job.

Keep up the good work man... it's super

on another note... any news for the other helmet?

SteelSpartan said:
I really love your pieces M. Oreo.

My only comment would be to keep the 6 scoring lines for the shoulder guard (the piece that goes on the shoulder not the bicep) and for the forearm (the big piece where there is normally a slot in the HD model) , since these pieces need to be really square, and without the scoring, they end up being more rounded that they are on the real MC armor...

If you don't get what I'm talking about... I'll sent you a picture after I get home from my job.

Keep up the good work man... it's super

on another note... any news for the other helmet?
Thanks for the compliments and the feedback, SteelSpartan. I'll incorporate those revisions next. I see your point about the shoulder guard, but can you point out the score lines you're referring to on the forearms?

Last edited by a moderator:
MstrCllst240 said:
this is amazing man; i can't wait to see the finished project. question: how is this gonna work for the boot?
What about the boot are you referring to?

scoringmarkforearms.jpg

Sorry for the big image... I don't know how to size it down in a forum... :(

But I hope it help you figure out what I was talking about.

Even if I already have shoulders peped... I'm going to try out yours...

SteelSpartan said:
scoringmarkforearms.jpg

Sorry for the big image... I don't know how to size it down in a forum... :(

But I hope it help you figure out what I was talking about.

Even if I already have shoulders peped... I'm going to try out yours...
Try the new left forearm (I'm not updating the right until the left is good). Tell me what you think. I also redid some of the other parts to make a little more sense in terms of the lines they follow. I also tweaked the bicep to make it more angular for the shoulder pauldron.

Dude these peps are wicked Im working on the helmet at the moment its nso noice and easy to work with I decided that even though I have already pep'd the forearm's from another pep file Im going to make all my armour from your pep files just cause its so nice to work with. :D

This is great!! I just did my left bicep and forearm using MKVI_HD_FOREARM_RIGHT_NUGGET_LETTER and MKVI_HD_SHOULDER_LEFT_ROBOGENESIS pep files. I had to make two shoulders to get the right size that I was happy with, as well as 3 fore arm pieces. :oops: These would have been great to start with to find a nice since without all the wasted time in the HD files.

That and my wife wants me to make her armor as well. She said she would like to do it but doesn't have the time or patience for all the pepping. After seeing these, she is working on her own armor. To you I say, thank you.. :D

Das Brutus said:
I'm glad I haven't the build of the arms yet... think I'm going to use these first...

AWESOME!!! (y)
Thank you :D

Sneblot said:
Dude these peps are wicked Im working on the helmet at the moment its nso noice and easy to work with I decided that even though I have already pep'd the forearm's from another pep file Im going to make all my armour from your pep files just cause its so nice to work with. :D
Thanks. Please post pics of your results. I'd love to see how other people's pep builds turn out. Especially the ones I haven't had an opportunity to pep myself.

Murphdog M99 said:
This is great!! I just did my left bicep and forearm using MKVI_HD_FOREARM_RIGHT_NUGGET_LETTER and MKVI_HD_SHOULDER_LEFT_ROBOGENESIS pep files. I had to make two shoulders to get the right size that I was happy with, as well as 3 fore arm pieces. :oops: These would have been great to start with to find a nice since without all the wasted time in the HD files.
That was one of my main reasons for modding these pep files: fast-building size testers. I want to eventually step up to the HD models, but didn't want to waste time building one the wrong size. Plus, I'm seeing a LOT of helmet builds, but not as many full armor builds, and I suspected that noobs like us lost some steam with all the cutting and scoring (I know I took a break from pepping for that reason!).

I'm not sure if it's been resolved or if a scaling formula exists, but I seem to remember reading that Crackhead's HD models don't use the same scale as the other HD files. Even if you take the resulting actual height (not just the scale), they don't turn out the same size because his are rotated at a different angle from when he created his models.

Murphdog M99 said:
That and my wife wants me to make her armor as well. She said she would like to do it but doesn't have the time or patience for all the pepping. After seeing these, she is working on her own armor. To you I say, thank you.. :D
You're welcome. I'm glad I was able to help give you two a common hobby. Now if only I could get my own wife into this... ;)

EDIT: Left thigh, shin, AND space diaper are up! Get'em while they're hot!

And be sure to let me know how well (or not well) they build so I can duplicate the right side. I don't want to put in the extra work of copying the cuts and folds over only to have to redo it because the left needed changing.

i think they look great i mean if someone wants it alittle more boxie then they can do that with alittle bondo. im doing all my armor besides the recon chest and helemt out of your files.

MrOreo123 said:
That was one of my main reasons for modding these pep files: fast-building size testers. I want to eventually step up to the HD models, but didn't want to waste time building one the wrong size. Plus, I'm seeing a LOT of helmet builds, but not as many full armor builds, and I suspected that noobs like us lost some steam with all the cutting and scoring (I know I took a break from pepping for that reason!).

One of the reasons I'm doing my helmet and chest piece last. To get some practice in before I do what I think is the glamour of all the armour, helmet and chest. I didn't want to spend all my time making the perfect helmet and chest pieces then just throw the rest together to get done and not be happy with the legs, arms, etc. I'm,,,, working backwards?!?. o_O

Murphdog M99 said:
One of the reasons I'm doing my helmet and chest piece last. To get some practice in before I do what I think is the glamour of all the armour, helmet and chest. I didn't want to spend all my time making the perfect helmet and chest pieces then just throw the rest together to get done and not be happy with the legs, arms, etc. I'm,,,, working backwards?!?. o_O
Hey, that's not a bad way to go. I went helmet first for the immediate satisfaction of seeing something recognizable.

JOLTY TacoMan said:
didnt you also do DF4L's HD helmet?
Yes, I did. I will release it as soon as I get permission from him to redistribute it. Unless someone points me to where he previously said it was okay to do it.

EDIT: Left boot is up!

EDIT: Right Forearm now matched to the left. Working on matching the rest now.

EDIT: Right bicep and boot are up.

EDIT: Both handplates are up. And if you want a truly FAST size tester, you can't get much better than this. Print it out, and only cut out the top plate that has the overall flat shape with none of the sides to glue for the depth. Heck, you don't even have to glue the four tabs on the top plate itself, since the curvature is so minor. Enjoy! :)
MkVI-Robogenesis-Handplate.jpg

EDIT: Right shin is up. I think the only pieces left out of Robo's normal-res set are the right thigh and the chest! :D

*noob*

Sorry if this has been covered,
but, ah, you have any tips for scaling this,
or just, aw, fallow the sticky for this?
Thanks.

sxysweed said:
*noob*

Sorry if this has been covered,
but, ah, you have any tips for scaling this,
or just, aw, fallow the sticky for this?
Thanks.
This uses exactly the same scaling as Robogenesis' original files, since they are still his underlying models. Just refer to the scaling thread that's been stickied, and you should be fine. I'm just providing new cut and fold patterns for the same models. If you've already done one of Robogenesis' files, just plug in the same scaling numbers.

If you're curious, I've pre-scaled these down to an overall height of 5'10" or 70" (my height of 5'8" plus 2 inches for padding and whatnot). If you're my height and of average build, you're in luck. You don't have to scale a thing. ;)

MrOreo123 said:
This uses exactly the same scaling as Robogenesis' original files, since they are still his underlying models. Just refer to the scaling thread that's been stickied, and you should be fine. I'm just providing new cut and fold patterns for the same models. If you've already done one of Robogenesis' files, just plug in the same scaling numbers.

If you're curious, I've pre-scaled these down to an overall height of 5'10" or 70" (my height of 5'8" plus 2 inches for padding and whatnot). If you're my height and of average build, you're in luck. You don't have to scale a thing. ;)

*lost*
So what if I'm 6'4"?
Scale up from there?
So if I multiply the scale it comes with by 1.115 I should be good?
Haven't had lunch yet and this redbull is playing tricks on me...
Doing the helmet first, but I think I'll figure it out.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT:
Original scale for the helmet is 77, so 85.8 would be my size?
I'm gonna go grab some food and think this over..

I hate to say it, but these are a bit TOO smooth. The parts are starting to lose definition and crispness, and for the biceps and handplates in particular the edges are nowhere near as defined as you'd need them to be and you'd probably have to put some detailing in with cardstock/thin cardboard panels to regain those crisp edges. Definitely not something I'd consider unless I wanted to go over them to add the level of detail the medium-definition or high-definition models offer.

The problem here is that, with smoothing the edges off, you're removing a lot of the defining edges of the builds. I'll admit, the overall build will indeed be simplified, but at the unfortunate cost of detail to the part. You have to realise that the MJOLNIR armor isn't completely smooth - there are angular faces to a lot of it. On the whole, a nice effort and I can't blame you for wanting to try this - I guess these could stand as low-definition test models.

Crucible said:
I hate to say it, but these are a bit TOO smooth. The parts are starting to lose definition and crispness, and for the biceps and handplates in particular the edges are nowhere near as defined as you'd need them to be and you'd probably have to put some detailing in with cardstock/thin cardboard panels to regain those crisp edges. Definitely not something I'd consider unless I wanted to go over them to add the level of detail the medium-definition or high-definition models offer.

The problem here is that, with smoothing the edges off, you're removing a lot of the defining edges of the builds. I'll admit, the overall build will indeed be simplified, but at the unfortunate cost of detail to the part. You have to realise that the MJOLNIR armor isn't completely smooth - there are angular faces to a lot of it. On the whole, a nice effort and I can't blame you for wanting to try this - I guess these could stand as low-definition test models.
Thanks for the constructive criticism. You are right. Some of the edge details are rounded off or removed completely. However, I never planned on using these as-is. As you recommended, I'll be adding detail later (for example: on the helmet brim, I smoothed out the grooves that would normally be there, but I intend to carve them back in during the bondo stage) or moving up the the HD models.

One of my other goals, besides smoother pep builds, is to make these models FAST to build for size testing. My hope is that you can bang several of these out in different sizes to see what fits you best before taking your time on the HD models. I've seen several threads where noobs like myself went for the HD models right off the bat only to discover they made them the wrong size. Hopefully, I can help others in that arena.

You'd be better off not bothering with these as parts to finish up as wearable pieces - there's just too much work associated with bringing them up to scratch. Using them as test pieces would be a better option, as we've agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back