New Weapon In The Halo Series? Seen On Halo: The Cole Protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damarius101

Jr Member
Not too long ago, as many of you may know, there was a Halo book released called Halo: The Cole Protocol, the sixth and latest in the Halo novel lineup. I just saw the book cover a few weeks ago (Im still on Harvest) and noticed the somewhat strangely yet obviously placed sword/machete on the Spartan's back. Needless to say my nerdgasm happened right then and there, yet my interest was further fueled by the possibilities of this site.

Here's the cover if anyone hasn't seen it.

106735-halocole.jpg

Seeing as they don't show the entire sword, and the handle looks nothing like the Katana on Halo 3, I was wondering: does anyone have any reference pics of this weapon? It seems like a blatant hint to a new weapon in the Halo series, but I have yet to read the book so I have no clue as to whether it is a UNSC designed weapon or simple a hack-and-slash tool picked up by a rather hardcore Spartan.

If anyone has ref pics, please post them here. I've decided that if I can get enough info on it I will create this sword (even if I have to make it from scratch!) in addition to the armor that I plan to work on. SwordsThatDontGlowBlue + UNSC Spartans = Lotta damn good fight scenes. Any help you guys could get me would be VERY appreciated.

And please, ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS! I don't want my thread to be the one that ruins the story for people that haven't read the book yet, and I especially don't want the story ruined for myself. So thanks in advanced (if anyone finds anything) :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think it would be cool if someone made pdo files for the armor on the cover too. it has an interesting design to it.

That is the ODST knife.
It was originally supposed to show up in halo 2, and then halo 3 but that never happened.
It was pretty much the human equivalent of the energy sword.

Personally I would love to see a Human melee weapon of some kind. Covies already have two, the gravity hammer and the beam sword. I would love to see bungie implement some kind of new hand to hand weapon for H3 ODST. I know at least two have been shown, one of them directly in the game ( H3 ). On the Cqb chest plate there is a vertically mounted dagger on the left side (from the spartan's perspective). And then the shot of the combat knife from the cole protocol book. Other than that, I haven't seen any others.

I would assume with the pommel on that particular weapon that it is a more sci-fi version of a Falcata: a short cavalry or infantry sword that maximizes the power of a slash by turning the blade inward slightly giving the blade the ability to cut slightly deeper as the inward part is broader and heavier than that of the rest of the sword which places the balance near the tip. And since the cut is more devastating in a battle type situation than a thrust, I would assume that the sword on the Spartan's back would be a Falcata.

Also, that pommel screams Falcata at me and it would be sort of logical to assume that it was a shorter weapon (from the back draw part), and that in order to mimic the Spartans of old that they would put this in there as a great choice for close quarters combat.

FalcataSword.jpg

Lord Devious said:
That is the ODST knife.
It was originally supposed to show up in halo 2, and then halo 3 but that never happened.
It was pretty much the human equivalent of the energy sword.

It's gotta be longer and bigger than that. They wouldn't back mount it if it was the ODST Knife cuz it's short enough (and better accessible for the soldier) to chest mount.

BFDesigns said:
It's gotta be longer and bigger than that. They wouldn't back mount it if it was the ODST Knife cuz it's short enough (and better accessible for the soldier) to chest mount.

There were 2 original covers for The Cole Protocol.
The original cover (below) showed the knife on the front of the armor (that is what it looks like anyway) and shows it being smaller.
3157SquallSnake7.jpg

The latest one (also below and shown on original post) has been modified slightly, With minor armor adjustments aswell as the knife being on the back, As far as I can tell it's a normal combat knife.
halocole.png

BFDesigns said:

I second that. Plus in the next post or so in the alternate pics for the cover the chest mounted blade is tiny compared to that behemoth whose handle is poking up. I'm thinking:

Kukhri
kukhri02.jpg

or:

Bolo
Bolo_ni_Max.JPG

Either way I think it's a medium length heavy bladed weapon suitable for hacking/slashing/piercing armour.

Lord Devious said:
Here we go, From halopedia:
180px-CombatKnife.jpg

Here is the source

Hope this helps.

Yeah that's the chest mounted combat knife. I've scoured halo wiki and no sign of the back mounted blade. I'm liking the idea of a spartan picking up a blade left lying around a "liberated" village or town.

From that site:

The multi-purpose combat knife has a 20 centimeter (7.9 inches) blade made of high carbon steel coated for corrosion resistance and is 43.3 centimeters (1.42 feet) sheathed. All UNSC troops are issued with a combat knife for close quarters combat or in situations when ammo is scarce.[1] It is also balanced for throwing. It only appears in the novels and on the backs of Orbital Drop Shock Troopers in Halo 2 and Halo 3, as an aesthetic addition to the CQB armor, and in a cutscene in Halo Wars where John Forge killed The Arbiter with the combat knife.

Interesting. So this could possibly be just an ODST knife. Yet, the handle is what intrigues me; it looks nothing like a regular ODST knife handle, but something that took time to create and be used just for a Spartan.

If they could release some pictures of the knife with this handle, I would be satisfied with it being an ODST knife, but at this point I don't think it is.

Anyone read the book?

I think it's a dramatized version of the ODST knife.

Then again it could be something completely new; the spartan sword

We could figure out what it looks like based on the ODST knife and the handle in the book.

I would also welcome a spartan sword, but seriously, think about it:

Someone with his whole life as one big drill behind him, as super precise and effecient?

I read in one of the books ( I think it was first strike) Kelly sniped three bansheedrivers flying at top speed through a inchwide whole , 500 yards away, while sitting on a single steel rope next to broke plasma conduets, through wind, weather and extremely bad sight?

I mean, would such a person have a piece of steel in their hand instead of a rifle to step up to an elite or jackal?

I could imagine that he's got this on his thigh or back, kinda, not even as a plan B with low ammo, maybe as Plan C but heavens not as a real replacement for a weapon we know!

Perhaps this is just the cover artist's rendition...lord knows everyone isn't a halo freak with our attention to game detail...

Chip475 said:
I could imagine that he's got this on his thigh or back, kinda, not even as a plan B with low ammo, maybe as Plan C but heavens not as a real replacement for a weapon we know!

Thats exactly what I chose to believe at first, which is why I completely shunned the idea of a Spartan having a sword. But think about it, a sword or machete is not JUST used for killing people; you can also use it to get through thick foliage more easily. When used for killing however, it happens to be a rather silent weapon of choice, and when someone gets way too close for comfort (like an extra strong Brute or an equally strong Elite), a quick thrust in the right direction can save you a lot of time and even pain.

But your right, hardly does a sword replace a gune, but it can come in handy no matter how strong and skilled you are.

Lord Perth 16 said:
Perhaps this is just the cover artist's rendition...lord knows everyone isn't a halo freak with our attention to game detail...

Truer words were never spoken. But the Halo books have a horrible tendency of dropping huge hints and surprises for us, so I usually keep my eyes open. Maybe we will see this new variant in the future, who knows.

Im definitely going to find some more reference pics of this sword though, its too badass to just let alone.

Lord Devious said:
I started a wooden ODST knife today.
The sword will follow.

Nice, post it here and make sure to create a thread for your progress :)

Think I might try one from wood as well because of its design potential, but i hope someone decides to make a detailed pep model ( i would if i knew how).

Edit: Does anyone know what armor the spartan is wearing? Just realized that is not mjolnir armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back