New Weapon In The Halo Series? Seen On Halo: The Cole Protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 99% sure you're not going to find any other pictures of this knife. But that shouldn't stop you from making a prop of it. It really is a pretty badass looking weapon, from what we can see, so it'd be a pity to drop it for lack of reference. Just make up a blade that goes well with the hilt. The legendary knife would work well, as would a machete or the aforementioned falcata.

My $0.02

I defenitely say that is just the standard UNSC combat knife.

If your complaining about the design of the handle, you would rather complain about the MJOLNIR Mk-IV that Spartan is wearing.

And seriously, knives in modern warfare are considered 'the warrior's final weapon'. Hell Spartans run out of ammo, and the UNSC doesn't have fancy CQ weapons like the energy sword or the gravity hammer.

Plus, in modern times, knives are used more of a multipurpose role besides killing. Like cutting wires, simple digging etc.

No problem for a Spartan to have a knife. I just wonder why Master Chief doesn't have one. Like, in GOW, even though they all have chainsaws, they still have a knife around their ankle.

And for the position, it would just be the same reason why Chris from Resident Evil 5 has his big knife on his back. It's more of a quick drawing issue, I think.

okay there are mentions in halo fall of reach where one or two of the spartans either pick up or are playing with razor sharp combat knives. if anyone is familiar with metal gear the combat knife is a very efficient tool in the game.

as far as the cover design doesn't it look like the ones from the skull mounting. that one looks like it could be a machete type, but I would not know for sure I cannot see the whole thing. Think about it tho, in cole protocol the spartans assigned to that area are undercover and are tracking down specific insurgents and targets (i am not going to spoil just mislead)in an asteroid colony run by civilian rebels. if they needed to torture info from people use a knife, it does not kill like a gun, oh no, with a knife you can, savor the kill as you break them and hear them scream in pain, you can actually see what kind of person they really are and then when you are done, you can kill them or leave them to bleed. Kives are really wonderful tools. Leon Kennedy would carry his up on his shoulder with the handle down for easy cqc access, same as Naked Snake in MGS 3. the draw is easy

I am lecturing but hey I think you have an artistic license with the knife design since knives are made differently for their purposes, a CQC knife will have a serrated or toothed back for gripping an opponents arm and a razor edge for easy throat cutting, maybe even a wire and sick on the handle to allow easy strangling of a target. a bayonet will be made very very durable and need to be more pointed than sharp for thrusting, it may have a saw back edge for causing more damage to a target when pulling out and maybe for other applications, there might be a small wire cutter built in for bypassing fencing. A machete on the other hand will have a thick sharp edge used for cutting through brush and brambles. the aesthetically pleasing one does not look like it is suited for a soldiers' combat weapon, the point is not really any good for thrusting more for slashing like a falchion and the handle would be too slick with blood to grip properly if it was used for a thrust the point is just no good for that.

I bet you did not know that the katana was a weapon meant to be used for cutting in a forward motion? the blade is curved and it will slide down it's cut toward the point of the weapon the foreward motion is meant to counteract that.

I think you are free to make your knife however you want it is your costume, there is not enough information right now to really determine exactly what the ODST or standard issue knife was for the UNSCMC(marine corps) hell if you want make it like a KA-BAR

shellshocker said:
I defenitely say that is just the standard UNSC combat knife.

If your complaining about the design of the handle, you would rather complain about the MJOLNIR Mk-IV that Spartan is wearing.

And seriously, knives in modern warfare are considered 'the warrior's final weapon'. Hell Spartans run out of ammo, and the UNSC doesn't have fancy CQ weapons like the energy sword or the gravity hammer.

Plus, in modern times, knives are used more of a multipurpose role besides killing. Like cutting wires, simple digging etc.

No problem for a Spartan to have a knife. I just wonder why Master Chief doesn't have one. Like, in GOW, even though they all have chainsaws, they still have a knife around their ankle.
And for the position, it would just be the same reason why Chris from Resident Evil 5 has his big knife on his back. It's more of a quick drawing issue, I think.

Agreed.

Edit: Does anyone know what armor the spartan is wearing? Just realized that is not mjolnir armor.
For the record he IS wearing Mjolnir. All Spartan permutations are Mjolnir.
The armor you see is actually supposed to be Mk-IV (Yes that's right, the one from Halo Wars).
Before you go on about how it looks nothing like it and how its impossible.
The front cover is a piece of art. It doesn't need to be related to the story, It doesn't need to be accurate. It's just a piece of art.
Just like the over-exaggerated handle on the knife. It's a piece of art used to represent the book.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Stig said:
The front cover is a piece of art. It doesn't need to be related to the story, It doesn't need to be accurate. It's just a piece of art.
Just like the over-exaggerated handle on the knife. It's a piece of art used to represent the book.
It could also be a different variation of the Mjolnir Mk. IV, but yeah either way it is Mjolnir armour.

Shade said:
It could also be a different variation of the Mjolnir Mk. IV, but yeah either way it is Mjolnir armour.

I think it is just the standard MK-IV. That novel came out way before Halo Wars, and the novel itself didn't share any information with the game. Obviously, the novel just made it's own version of MK-IV since there wasn't any specific reference about it then.

I think the artists moved the blade becuase the one with the blade attached at the back looks more bad ass as well as effectively showing the blade off while the other cover made the spartan look more military with the chest mount blade... hmmm.... just IMO.

As for the blade, I think it is the ODST blade. :D

Damarius101 said:
But think about it, a sword or machete is not JUST used for killing people; you can also use it to get through thick foliage more easily

Yeah, true, but would a 1000 pound man really need help through the jungle? I mean the only bother hes gonna have is thick trees but he'd need a chainsaw for that ^^

Damarius101 said:
When used for killing however, it happens to be a rather silent weapon of choice, and when someone gets way too close for comfort (like an extra strong Brute or an equally strong Elite), a quick thrust in the right direction can save you a lot of time and even pain

Also true, It will only HELP. I agree with that, totally.
I sword, dagger or knife would be like the last option, both weapons shot empty, no time to reload or no ammo at all, wrestling with an angry, bloodthirsty, teethfletching Brute, only to not start a meelee fight with bare hands to stick him in his EYE! PWND!^^

I think thats the only thing a spartan would agree to.

Damarius101 said:
Nice, post it here and make sure to create a thread for your progress :)

Think I might try one from wood as well because of its design potential, but i hope someone decides to make a detailed pep model ( i would if i knew how).

Edit: Does anyone know what armor the spartan is wearing? Just realized that is not mjolnir armor.
or it could be a really bad artist wait scratch that he drew the br perfect then the helment looks little bit newer then the mark 4 and older than the mark 5

@Unique Name - Oh I wholeheartedly agree with you; just because I can't the rest of the blade doesn't mean it will stop me from creating my own variant using the handle alone. Its just the design of the handle that makes me get all giddy, it looks so badass.

@shellshocker - Im not complaining about it, but rather glorifying it. Its like something we've never seen before in the Halo universe, and just that is deserves a compliment. (Never realized the knife on the GOW characters, Sweet!)

@Haissan Neiman - That put very bad images in my head, lol. Er, detailed to say the least :)

@The Stig - Opps yeh I meant to say Mark Series but I figured someone would correct me anyway, so thanks :p Yes I realize that everything doesn't have to be perfect (lol, im not a freak you know), but what you must realize is that artist such as these create new strains and aspects to the Halo Universe, which is one of the reasons why Bungie decided that the world of Halo was too big for just one Spartan type; there had to be more, and lots of them.

@centerside - That is a definite possibility, and in this instance it is most likely the case. But in any case the artist decided to redo the modeling of the blade handle (most likely because of its now more frontal view) and designed it in such a way that it truly creates an image of the UNSC's design, which makes it automatically Spartan worthy (and badass, dont forget the badassity :p).

@Chip475 - True, and in fact I remember reading of a scene like that in Halo: The Fall of Reach. No knives required, but it doesn't hurt to have one at the ready :)

@spartan 26 - Eh, what?

Damarius101 said:
shellshocker - Im not complaining about it, but rather glorifying it. Its like something we've never seen before in the Halo universe, and just that is deserves a compliment. (Never realized the knife on the GOW characters, Sweet!)

Sorry, 'Complain' was a poor word choice. I was saying that since the MJOLNIR MK-IV on the cover isn't so inaccurate, it is possible that the knife's design is inaccurate.

Man this discussion really inspired me! I just drew up some blue prints for the Odst knife, the one on the difficulty shield. I think this might be a project to add to my list. When I have time to complete it, is another story entirely. :D

I just wanted to add that in one of the books it mentions the spartan "blue","red", and "white" teams. pluss, in fall of reach or first strike, whichever one they go get hasley off of reach in, the spartans "accesorize" with the newest model of mjolnir. So, this could be white team, who lost contact (note, I have yet to buy/read the book) and their own custom variation, similar to how spartans of halo wars have non-standard armour. besides, the bad assery is just too good! I really don't think a combat knife is going to have a handle the size of a spartans head. and those dealys where the cooling towers go look like lights... either way, poetic license I suppose...

I like halopedia knife/sword, it looks like those ones behind the elite head on legendary mode, good weapon for wiping out multitudes of grunts...XD

@shellshocker - You're completely right, and apology wholeheartedly accepted :)

@HeavyGunner - O_O Omfg Gunner, you've just inspired me! I never realized that the swords on the legendary shield could be used as a reference as well. Now I can just look at those, look at the handle and come up with a prop. You're my hero, lol.

@Spartan 129 - Actually, I heard (no spoiler) that the story has something to do with the disappearance of the team that was lost on Onyx a while before the events that took place in Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, but it could be either way. And I agree with you about the handle-headsize thing, it seems unlikely.

Spawn Camp3r said:
Actually this is an old weapon, not a new one. It was in the halo 1 beta but never got put into the final game.

Halo 1 Beta? Wow, and no one has made a prop of it yet o_O

@ The Stig: Not be be a technocrat, but the HAYABUSA Powered Assault Armor is technically not MJOLNIR. I remember that being on the wiki under its own category. ;)

And I am a freak who is obsessed with all the details. :cool:

Damarius101 said:
I never realized that the swords on the legendary shield could be used as a reference as well. Now I can just look at those, look at the handle and come up with a prop.
I hate to be the one to point this out, but the sheath isn't wide enough to accommodate the "legendary" blade shape. :(

Unique Name said:
I hate to be the one to point this out, but the sheath isn't wide enough to accommodate the "legendary" blade shape. :(

No thats a very good observation, thank you for pointing that out. This means I might have to make an adjustment, or become a bit like the artist and make up my own variant :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back