Newbie to armor making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi Dude

I'm completely new to it, and know virtually nothing besides a few tidbits about vacuum forming. I learned about foam just a while ago and it has greatly intrigued me.

How much does foam cost? I also can't draft things worth a damn. And what all do you have to do to the foam to make it absolutely amazing?

You need to read all "stickies" here on the noob forum and all of these questions will be answered plus any more you may have.

How much does foam cost? I also can't draft things worth a damn. And what all do you have to do to the foam to make it absolutely amazing?

These questions are pretty vague but ill help if i can.

Cost $10 for 4 sheets of EVA foam. (takes 2-3 to make a chest)
There is no drafting in this line of work. Its done on 3D models that are pre-made you just need to print the patters out.
patients and practice is the key to making good armor. It can take up to a year to make your first suit of armor but its well worth it in the end

It takes a year?? Why/how if all you would need to do is cut it out according to the patterns?

And i tried reading them, but the information had a bunch of other details that were like throwing extra information at an unsure buyer that knows nothing about a product. <---analogy.

A good suggestion by Agent Arizona there. The stickies contain a LOT of relevant information and helpful links, plus discusions on the preferred or easiest methods. You can ask for help if you are stuck. I read all of the stickies (even the ones I wasnt really interested in at the time) and I'm glad I did, because it broadens your possibilities if you have more information.

True, but i just want to try an understand the basics first. The stickies had a bit too much information for me to do that. I have the tendency to try to apply ALL information given to me, so giving me too much will only confuse me.

So for foam armor to be made, you have to cut it out according to the pattern used (shape used), and then what do you do to have it shape the body correctly? Some piece are circular, so how would i go about making a flat piece of foam circular? Does the foam break when bent, or does it barely bend even under the force of someone acting upon it as if they were trying to stretch or bend against the armor while wearing it?

It takes a year?? Why/how if all you would need to do is cut it out according to the patterns?

Well, obviously there's more to it than kindergarden-style "cutting along the line" :)
There are great examples of suits that have been built in a matter of weeks, so that's definitely possible - but in my opinion, the more time you spend on it, the better it'll look. Especially when it comes to finishing, many people feel so close to actually being finished that they start to rush, skip sanding passes and generally start to get sloppy. That can seriously reduce quality.

True, but i just want to try an understand the basics first. The stickies had a bit too much information for me to do that. I have the tendency to try to apply ALL information given to me, so giving me too much will only confuse me.

My history teacher used to teach us a special "reading technique". I absolutely hated it, but I can't deny that it sometimes works: He said to read texts twice. First, really fast just to get the general picture, without catching everything and without stopping if you don't know or understand a word (for us those were actual foreign words, for you it would be an unknown technique). Then a second time, to fill in the details and get everything.

Hi and welcome to the 405th. There is a lot of information around, but I'd suggest you start by:

Watching this orientation video:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/...entation-Video

Reading this on some of the forum's best practices:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/...HIS-NOW-PLEASE!

There is no doubt you will still have questions. However, if you are serious about completing a costume, please consider joining the mentoring program. Here, experienced builders will be happy to provide one to one help with your build (Note that they will expect you to have studied the information in the
links provided above):
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/...-Programme-2.0

When you post to that thread, give them some idea of what you want to do and they will assign a mentor that can help you.

Welcome to the 405th!

weeds, the links aren't working for some reason. :/

Blue2k, those videos helped me understand foam a great deal. I'm still curious as to how you would make large pieces curve though since the foam is naturally straight. And 0235, those videos also helped me understand a great deal, but scaling and measurements absolutely baffle me completely. Every 3D Model project i've ever done in school (high school, currently in college) was done based on very rough estimates that i frankly pulled out of my butt contrary to what my teacher believed. Fortunately, my father is mega-pro at measuring and scaling. I'm mega-pro at learning software. :D

thanks for your help, guys. Weeds, if you can, could you provide me with an alternate link to those videos? I'm mostly a visual learner, and anything that shows me exactly how to do something will help a great deal. Would it be possible to find EVA foam at lowes? I don't think we have a (store name that Ben mentioned in the videos) in my city.

Everyone moves at their own pace with these projects.

As you progress on your armor building you may find areas that aren't quite as good or clean as you would like so you rework them. The time you spend on this stuff adds up.

It's even more difficult for us guys that have full time jobs and significant others that we live with. I have to constantly plan out my free time as to not upset my lady.

I've been working on my armor for almost a year now, but when I look back at when I started and knew absolutely nothing I can't help but feel a little accomplished.

You can definitely do this stuff in a matter of weeks. Its just a matter of how much time you have to put into it.

The foam bends quite easily because of the nature of the material (closed cell foam). It deforms even more if a light heat is applied (hairdryer, heat gun etc). It retains the bent shape if glued or "butressed" in place. You can basically bend the foam into any shape you like, even breasts. See this excellent example at the bottom of the page.

http://bioweapons.wordpress.com/2010/06/

I pasted those from another post and that doesn't work. Sorry.

Off topic, but worth clearing up: The forum shortens links if they're too long, and then the text that is displayed doesn't match the link's target anymore (note the "..." near the end). If you want to copy one, you have to either copy it from the quote while replying or copy the link's target. You can do that by right-clicking the link.

So for foam armor to be made, you have to cut it out according to the pattern used (shape used), and then what do you do to have it shape the body correctly? Some piece are circular, so how would i go about making a flat piece of foam circular? Does the foam break when bent, or does it barely bend even under the force of someone acting upon it as if they were trying to stretch or bend against the armor while wearing it?

You would use a heat gun to shape it a little bit. apply a little heat the bend it. But this would never work on a helmet, those are best if you model them with clay or use pep. Reason why is that those parts a really small and detailed.
Dont take what i said out of context. The suits that take up to a year are really really REALLY good. I made my first one in 3 months. It depends on how much prior building experience you have. A lot of use have been building stuff long before we started making armor.

Thanks weeds, they work now.

I don't doubt that a really good suit takes a long time, I was just surprised that the first thing i heard was a year after reading about others completing theirs in weeks. I definitely have plenty of free time, the free time just isn't routine. I work part time, will be going to school soon, no significant other. Majority of my time is spent either working, at the college, or playing games. The playing games portion will most definitely be cut short once i start my first suit.

That mentoring program is really interesting. I don't really do much construction and aside from what i learned with hands on experience in helping my dad add a deck and seperate garage and sunroom to our house, i feel like i know very little. I did a bit of work with a 3d program called inventor or something, and i managed to make a (i believe fairly impressive) desert eagle on it, but i've never done armor. That's about as much experience I have. Not really sure what Pepakura is either. The people that i knew in my city that made armor and weapons all used fiber glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back