night vision helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're on the right track. UV LED's are your best bet for night vision. I've personally used that website and they've been good to me. The problem is that the light has to be recorded and transformed into the visible light spectrum for use with human eyes. IR (infrared) and UV (ultraviolet) lights are not in our visible spectrum, but I think that there's a material out there that could act as catalyst, much like negative photo paper, to make such wavelengths visible. I'll dive deeper into the subject in a new thread I'm creating

I think there's a way to do this

Using the following:

Option 1
UV LED's
small digital camera (with lcd display)

Option2
UV LED's
Small pinhole digital camera
LCD Glasses
(Take a look at the Riveria LCD Glasses system)

For Option 1:
Attach the UVLED's to the exterior of the helmet
wear small lcd camera on face

Option 2:
Attach UV LED to exterior of helmet
Drill a small hole in helmet
attach camera to interior of helmet
Modify LCD glasses (there's a website for this)
attach wires to LCD Glasses

Those seem to be the options I can think of

IR leds are tricky. really cheap ones have a good range, but to get just a few extra 30-40M you need to pay out alot of money, other than that IR LEDs use very little power, im just woried that an IR camera might use alot of energy. and as "themaskedduser" said, the LCD glasses would be the only way for a screen. and normal screen would be way to close, or you would need alot of room in your helm.

though me, i would mount the camera on the outside (like with some of the helm attachments in halo reach) and use that. not only will it look good, it means you dont have to spend the big bux on a smaller camera

I believe there is a way to do this without cameras. I once saw something about using nothing but IR LEDs and a very specific red and blue film on the visor. The visibility wasnt the most amazing ever, but it was cheap as hell and worked. I can try to dig up the vid again if you want

the only way to get true night vision out of IR radiation is via a very complicated process involving Ionization... UV, however, shows a better promise as s low cost means with mediocre results. Because it is used in digital cameras already, it's also much easier to replicate.

Just be careful with the UV lights. If you do not seal them fully, IR/UV light actually deteriorates your eyes natural night vision (ie. while it isn't visible, the IR/UV light will stop your eyes from dilating properly) so it could be detrimental. Proper night vision uses image intensifier tubes (i wont go into the mechanics of it), which effectively enhance light through to the Infra red range, with any IR intensifier mounted within the night vision device or outside the lense as not to interfere with the eye.

Never heard of the above mentioned red and blue film method so that may be worth looking into, just bear in mind the above :)

- X.

What about those light filters that guy used to make a "thermal or UV vision camera" on youtube for really cheap,
but it only werks in the light.

This is mind boggling!

it's like we're trying to make a "actual" helmet for use in night time combat! lol!

I have mine!

501219543_photobucket_26285_.jpg
501219543_photobucket_26284_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back