Nin|jas And Pirates And Street Sweepers, Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerguy55

http://www.nin.com/?%3F

Towards the beginning of my career in Nine Inch Nails, our biggest break came in the form of an invitation to perform a series of shows with Jane's Addiction. These performances essentially created and defined the term "alternative" rock in the US, created an ongoing festival franchise that is still thriving (Lollapalooza), set the stage for Nirvana to shift popular taste a few months later, and were really f***ing FUN to play and attend - truly the best times I've had. The shows were epic. So epic, they propelled NIN to the "next level" (whatever that means), but caused Jane's to implode. The band broke up at the end of that tour.

Fast forward to the present. Corporate rock STILL sucks. A friend tells me they saw the original Jane's lineup play a tiny show in LA that was unbelievable. I break out my Jane's records and am amazed by how vital they sound. These guys were the real deal and in this current climate mostly dominated by poseurs and pussies it was refreshing to hear something that sounded dangerous, volatile, beautiful and SINCERE.
Emails were sent, phone calls were made, dinner was arranged, ideas were discussed and the next thing I know we're in the studio experimenting. We laugh, we get to know each other, we cry, we yell, we almost quit, we record LOTS of guitar solos, we discuss, we actually begin to all communicate, we yell some more, we become FRIENDS, we laugh again and we do some great things. I get to see first hand why they broke up all those years ago but I also get the chance to see four distinct personalities that become an INCREDIBLE band when they're in the same room.

In NIN world, 2009 marks the 20th anniversary of our first releases. I've been thinking for some time now it's time to make NIN disappear for a while. Last year's "Lights in the Sky" tour was something I'm quite proud of and seems like the culmination of what I could pull off in terms of an elaborate production. It was also quite difficult to pull off technically and physically night after night and left us all a bit dazed. After some thought, we decided to book a last run of shows across the globe this year. The approach to these shows is quite different from last year - much more raw, spontaneous and less scripted. Fun for us and a different way for you to see us and wave goodbye. I reached out to Jane's to see if they'd want to join us across the US and we all felt it could be a great thing. Will it work? Will it resonate in the marketplace? Who knows. Is there big record label marketing dollars to convince you to attend? Nope.
Does it feel right to us and does it seem like it will be fun for us and you? Yes it does.
Look for tour dates soon and I hope to see you out there.

Trent

I am sad. :(

I've never been to a concert before, but I hope I can make it one of his last ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
dude............they cant do that...........no.........(denial)........man that sucks NIN is such an awesome band.

NIN
1989-2009

sorely missed but not forgotten

Well I wouldn't chisel the tombstone just yet, he's only said that he'd like the band to take a break for awhile.

Still, thanks for the heads up.

He's just taking another break after LITS and this 'deconstructed' leg. It's not reaaaaaally over.

No matter how many times Trent alludes to it, he always comes back. He's too much of a workaholic to REALLY walk away ;). He'll take 2 weeks off, get insanely bored, lock himself in the studio and release another cd on nin.com :p

I think the only thing that is really gone for good is the level of technical effects he used in LITS. He said the trouble was that he couldn't be spontaneous because of how choreographed everything was and how difficult it was to set up and maintain.

I was fortunate enough to see 2 LITS shows and they were both mind blowing. I was in Nashville at the Halloween show. I dressed up as Plano Riot Police from YZ and was thrashing up on the rail front n' center while my husband surfed as Master Shake. Fun times...and best concerts ever.

I got some video from it but have yet to load it anywhere... one is of Echoplex... Need to get on that.

A whole mess of my friends went to a LITS show in Canada after Halloween. They never asked me to go with them. :cry:

Anyhow, I'm extremely jealous Vex, I hear that those show were the most amazing stage spectacles that NIN has ever accomplished.

I've seen them 5 or 6 times, even on their first tour. I've seen them from the front row, center stage on the Downward Spiral tour, and even have a few souvenirs that Trent handed to me from onstage. Still... I really wish I had gone to see the LITS shows. :not worthy:

He's be back, even if he does take some time off. Every musician says they're going to quit when they get back from these exhausting tours... then take it back later.

Those jerks should have invited ya hehe.

But I am, in return, severely jealous of you going to show during the Downward Spiral and of...STAGE SCHWAAAG. The coveted loots! Awesome :)

I can at least share what photos I was able to take from LITS in Nashville (no pics from Knox). Not all of them are great quality...I was getting thrashed and also, thrashing in return.

NASHVILLE CROWD- Mikal yelled, "Everybody @&@#$ smile!" And they obliged lol Bunch of cool people were around and behind us.

crowd.jpg

FREESE

freese.jpg

JMJ

jmj.jpg

jmj2.jpg

jmj3.jpg

FINCK

robin.jpg

robin2.jpg

robin3.jpg

robin4.jpg

MIKAL AS SHAKE LOL

shake.jpg

TRENT

trent.jpg

trent2.jpg

trent3.jpg

trent4.jpg

trent5.jpg

I am jealous.

It would be awesome to be that close! I've seen some of the videos from LITS on youtube, and they were pretty crazy.

My husband is an interesting individual.

(understatment LOL)

I was impressed that the bands didn't laugh cause Mikal's straw was flapping about the whole concert.

Just thought I'd give this a little bump for everyone who got scared when Trent said "I'm on break!"

He's teaming up with with Jane's Addiction and doing a North American tour (among a lot of sidestops!). They are already joking and calling it a NINJA tour :3

From NIN.COM:

Here's what we can tell you so far:

Fri-May-08 West Palm Beach, FL [Cruzan Amphitheatre]
Sat-May-09 Tampa, FL [Ford Amphitheatre]
Sun-May-10 Atlanta, GA [Lakewood Amphitheatre]
Thu-May-14 Albuquerque, NM [Journal Pavilion]
Fri-May-15 Phoenix, AZ [Cricket Wireless Pavilion]
Sat-May-16 Chula Vista, CA [Cricket Wireless Amphitheater]
Mon-May-18 Las Vegas, NV [The Pearl]
Wed-May-20 Irvine, CA [Verizon Wireless Amphitheater – Irvine Meadows]
Fri-May-22 Mountain View, CA [Shoreline Amphitheatre]
Tue-May-26 Englewood, CO [Fiddler’s Green Amphitheatre]
Wed-May-27 Kansas City, MO [Starlight Theatre]
*** Fri-May-29 Chicago, IL [Charter One Pavilion] NINE INCH NAILS Only
Sat-May-30 Noblesville, IN [Verizon Wireless Music Center]
Sun-May-31 Clarkston, MI [DTE Energy Music Theatre]
Tue-Jun-02 Toronto, ON [Molson Amphitheatre]
Wed-Jun-03 Darien Lake, NY [Darien Lake Amphitheatre]
Fri-Jun-05 Camden, NJ [Tweeter Center At The Waterfront]
Sat-Jun-06 Holmdel, NJ [PNC Bank Arts Center]
Sun-Jun-07 Wantagh, NY [Nikon at Jones Beach Music Theater]
Tue-Jun-09 Columbia, MD [Merriweather Post Pavilion]
Wed-Jun-10 Burgettstown, PA [Post-Gazette Pavilion]
Fri-Jun-12 Charlotte, NC [Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre]

I'm going to plan for Charlotte since it's the closest arena that's been released thus far. :)

Also there are more founded rumors floating about the Year Zero tv production...

AND if you saw the new Terminator trailer, you may recognize 'The Day the Whole World Went Away' playing.

So lots of good stuff going on right now :)

Looks like PA is the closest place so far, for me. Hopefully there will be at least one in Ohio. :x

I hadn't seen that trailer until now. That is very awesome!

Edit: Looks like I might have gotten lucky. I think the town in PA where they're at may be closer to me than anywhere in Ohio. lol

rvb4life said:
Friday? June 5th? Tweeter Center? What? NIN?
time to get the credit card out.....

Yup I'm looking forward to it too. They've deconstructed the set and it's a lot more spontaneous. Rob has started posting HD videos of the performances going on right now in OZ. Coooool stuff. They did Wish with DEP. lol

Haha I saw that too. Gotta love TR in the Kanye-esque glasses!

That'll teach Chris Cornell. God bless him for Soundgarden, but I seriously refuse to listen to his new pile with Timbaland ><.

I got tickets for the Charlotte show in June. Me, Mikal & 2 friends got pre-sale for the amazingly, tiny pit...so *very* excited.

Also...did you hear... YEAR ZERO IS ALIVE. Trent tweeted it late yesterday. I'm guessing HBO approved.

That is going to be so amazing!

I haven't been on Twitter since yesterday morning. >.< I miss all the good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back