Noble 4 Emile 3D printed build (getting pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
techno-colour party below.
Haha yeah it has started off quite the rainbow. I might have C-3PO arm thing goin on.

This is great advice! I plan to purchase a butt load of the same colour next time I buy, then it will all match. But I was using diff rolls I have to start, just to see if I can even do it :) which I can!

I also plan to use a bunch of my hobby skills to try and lock that paint down. A good prime and some mat varnish can prevent a lot...though it’s never 100% safe. Anyone who has played with pewter minis knows what I mean lol

Also. Which finishing products have you used. You state a resin. As a fellow Canadian, which resin did you use, and where would one locate it?

Haha yeah it has started off quite the rainbow. I might have C-3PO arm thing goin on.

This is great advice! I plan to purchase a butt load of the same colour next time I buy, then it will all match. But I was using diff rolls I have to start, just to see if I can even do it :) which I can!

I also plan to use a bunch of my hobby skills to try and lock that paint down. A good prime and some mat varnish can prevent a lot...though it’s never 100% safe. Anyone who has played with pewter minis knows what I mean lol

Also. Which finishing products have you used. You state a resin. As a fellow Canadian, which resin did you use, and where would one locate it?
Don't worry, I have a buttload of Lord of the Rings Warhammer minis with shiny pewter on the edges of their capes after years of use :p

For my 3D printed armour sets I use the method outlined in this post.

The resins were bought from Industrial Paint and Plastics which is a supplier in a few areas of Western Canada, you might have something similar close to you.

Very nice progress. I am lowly working on printing the smaller parts, anything not an armor piece. I did get the shotgun printed as well the shotgun shells and the knife with holder. Looking forward to seeing your finished. Keep it up!!

I’m having computer issues actually, that’s what’s stalled my prints at the moment. I can only run Cura...my 3D software isn’t loading, so I can’t split objects lol. But soooon!

Just a tip for any future 3D builds you may do in the future, paint really likes to chip off at points where there's friction and armour collisions so filament colour choice will help preserve sanity later on.

At a few points on my Daisy armour I've developed scratches which have removed the colour coat of paint revealing the transparent resin and the PLA below. Luckily I used a medium gray filament (preference for ease of sanding, low pigment density to prevent nozzle gumming and it just photographs well) which shows through as metallic scratches thanks to the epoxy resin. If you use brightly coloured filaments, for example, the "Fire Engine Red" which my M45 is built from you end up doing a lot more paint touch ups overall to hide the chips and scratches that show the techno-colour party below.

God Tier pre-planning would be to use a filament colour that matches your final surface finish you're looking for but who has time for that :p

Depends on the paint. If you’re using solvent based paints it cures rock hard. It takes some serious abuse to remove it.

Also if you have the money get yourself an Iwata LPH80 and start using 2K Clear Coat.

Are you going to use the 3d print of the helmet or make a cast of it and use resin? Either way let me know how it works out I'm talking a buddy of mine if about a Achilles helmet

Depends on the paint. If you’re using solvent based paints it cures rock hard. It takes some serious abuse to remove it.

Also if you have the money get yourself an Iwata LPH80 and start using 2K Clear Coat.
That spray gun may be a little out of my league at this time since I'm saving up for some sewing station upgrades but it definitely looks like a rocking piece of kit.

How is the 2K Clear Coat? I'm more than a little hesitant to try it out since it's around $30-$40/can thanks to environmental fees and import levies.

Don't worry, I have a buttload of Lord of the Rings Warhammer minis with shiny pewter on the edges of their capes after years of use :p

For my 3D printed armour sets I use the method outlined in this post.

The resins were bought from Industrial Paint and Plastics which is a supplier in a few areas of Western Canada, you might have something similar close to you.
Didn't read the full post, just clicked the link looking for LoTR minis... was dissapointed yet not dissapointed. I'll have to go read through your build later today cause I love your red CQB.

Didn't read the full post, just clicked the link looking for LoTR minis... was dissapointed yet not dissapointed. I'll have to go read through your build later today cause I love your red CQB.
Which one? :p

I think I have some LotR mini photos buried in my BotW Link build thread. Worst case I'll post more when I start the new BotW Link build just to keep up a theme.

So working on the right leg now.
Shin, knee and boot cover done. Of course boot needs to be cleaned up, welded together, and not on a sneaker haha.
F1F28D2D-B08C-4D63-8E72-2624ACA019F8.jpeg
EB89C64B-A8F2-4676-8F88-1F836CA95A97.jpeg
785D13D2-0BD3-47CB-B9E5-A03321A34FDD.jpeg

With boots in mind. What did you guys use for yours? And how did you adhere the cover to them?

With boots in mind. What did you guys use for yours? And how did you adhere the cover to them?
I found a cheap pair of all black sneakers at the thrift shop for $4. It has no logos on it and it looks somewhat futuristic with the layering. I then have elastic glued to the foam so it hugs the shoe. If I remember or if you remind me later I can post puctures

Securing armor for me:
If it's a soft surface to adhere to the boot like EVA Foam - Shoegoo works well.

If you are trying to adhere plastic then I use 8/32 screws and drill holes through the armor and through the boot. Place the screws with washers through the boot (inside to out) and then through the armor. Secure the armor with a nut on the outside and cut off the excess threads.

Anybody have a functioning Kukri sheath for the shoulder guard? MoeSizzlac’s model is perfect, except it’s missing the piece by the handle which has the emblem location.
I’m printing the knife from Moe as we speak.

Back on track! Fully printed the outer right shoulder, the Kukri and the sheath (not pictured). Now to figure out how to adhere the piece to the bicep lol.
I decided to go light on supports, so there are some rough overhangs, but that will all be fixed in post with Bondo etc. Saves me HOURS on the printer for a few ounces of Bondo. Just held with tape right now.
Also need to adhere the blade to the hilt of the Kukri. I’m thinking dowels and epoxy.
4616912E-A60F-470B-ABBD-47CA803BC0D2.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back