Noble 4 Emile 3D printed build (getting pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another piece assembled! This time the right thigh. So now I have officially assembled an arm, leg, helmet and some fiddly bits. Slowly this is coming together! Lots to go!
I also tested out some filler primer on the knee. It worked out great! I may use just a tad of Bondo to smooth a few deep lines out, but it’s very smooth.

DBB5E33E-4720-4758-8B38-11DDF56DD276.jpeg
A503E3EE-63BF-4106-A8A0-7E6BD6A1A379.jpeg

Bonus leg shot. Sorry the shin is black. Looks like Robocop
F2081DA0-243A-4229-B8AB-054A1E444119.jpeg

I have never painted a 3d print, but does seeing the print lines through the paint mean it is still not completely smooth, or is that just lighting and whatnot that wont be there in the final stages.

Man, that looks great!
Thanks! I’m really stoked on how it’s turning out.
I have never painted a 3d print, but does seeing the print lines through the paint mean it is still not completely smooth, or is that just lighting and whatnot that wont be there in the final stages.
On a basic level, yes. If a print isn’t completely smooth, lighting and paint can cause the lines to be visible. I haven’t done large things like this yet, but even on small items you can tell if it’s fully smooth.
There’s loads of ways to smooth it out more...but the most common requires elbow grease...moar sanding!

MoeSizzlac i may have discovered a sizing issue haha. I printed the ‘pecks’ on the chest plate, only to realize the default scale may be a bit small for me. Now I’m 6’ 180lbs. And it says you scaled it to you, but we should be similarly sized. I went back and measured the inside of the torso...hole. And it looks to be only 30cm across. My rough measurements have me at 34cm there.
Am I measuring something wrong on me? I don’t want to print another 30-40h before I find out :p

Also saw you updated the Kukri sheath! Next print :)

MoeSizzlac i may have discovered a sizing issue haha. I printed the ‘pecks’ on the chest plate, only to realize the default scale may be a bit small for me. Now I’m 6’ 180lbs. And it says you scaled it to you, but we should be similarly sized. I went back and measured the inside of the torso...hole. And it looks to be only 30cm across. My rough measurements have me at 34cm there.
Am I measuring something wrong on me? I don’t want to print another 30-40h before I find out :p

Also saw you updated the Kukri sheath! Next print :)

Untitled.jpg

Are you talking about the hole on the lower portion of the torso in yellow? I think you have it correct. My lower mid section/waist in only about 30cm across left to right and jumps to around 40+cm across under the arms(red arrow).

I'm not sure about you, but I always intend for my chest pieces to be in 2 (sometimes even 4) parts even after assembly. I'm not sliding it on in one shot.

Example: I had a tight fit on my master chief costume by the yellow line. I left the side of the chest armor separate and used straps to secure them. This allowed me to give some relief on the sides that were pinching.

The harsh reality is that i'm not built like a spartan so I usually make the suit look good enough and modify where needed afterwards.

Yeah, the yellow line is what I was worried about.
I was thinking of a way to have it clam shell together or something. Pulling it on like a sweater seemed unforgiving lol. Do you happen to have pics of your Chief costume for reference?
Maybe I can work with the standard model size and just deal with some straps and elastics. I could even trim the inside a tad and add some foam for comfort.

I just took some official "full gear" master chief pics. First, look at the front, side and back of the "full gear"set.
28951.jpeg
28947.jpeg
28948.jpeg

It's tough to see the modifications.

Now take a look at the modifications:
20190901_212723.jpg
20190901_212733.jpg

20190901_212737.jpg

20190901_214222.jpg

Fairly comfortable and the pecks look more in scale with the video game.

MoeSizzlac this is awesome. Thanks! I think I’m going to steal some of those methods to make it more comfortable to wear/move in.
I think I’ll be able to get away with the pecks I printed already then too. Might do the shoulders and back next, then the ‘ribs’ last to see how they could work it all together. Or maybe even tweak them a bit before printing, we’ll see.

Haven’t had a chance to ‘weld’ in a bit. So here is tonight’s progress.
Completed the chest front, added the cover to the Kukri, attached the blade to the Kukri, and printed Moesizzlac’s modified left thigh.

The new thigh has some of the inner thigh removed, allowing me to use some foam for comfort. I also think the Knee are has been widened a bit ( MoeSizzlac that correct?)
FB99E555-9EAB-4B7F-84B9-300A25A93D93.jpeg

0173F171-25BA-438F-953E-610CEE2FC3E2.jpeg
1D610872-4977-4EA8-BC47-381C1D236C5F.jpeg

3B4AADC3-EA71-4ECB-9574-1CA3ABC6E5DF.jpeg

EC7181B6-8388-4BED-83B4-3B19E489D13C.jpeg

12F81C2D-D79D-4496-95A2-61C8BDBF9106.jpeg

Here’s a shot of my practice piece for finishing. A few thin coats of Filler Primer, and experimenting with both glazing putty, and full blown Bondo. I think I like the glazing putty more.
E58EA815-0C95-41F7-AC06-B64253482721.jpeg

Bonus pic of my dog creeping.
FB8676A7-1F01-4C54-8073-713031910B48.jpeg

Chooka, sorry to say that I updated the knife cover. I noticed from your picture that one edge was curved when it was supposed to be straight (right side bottom). As far as the knees, I don't remember modifying them but I change the models here and there a lot so it is possible. If you have any suggestion for updating the models, for wearing, let me know.

Chooka, sorry to say that I updated the knife cover. I noticed from your picture that one edge was curved when it was supposed to be straight (right side bottom). As far as the knees, I don't remember modifying them but I change the models here and there a lot so it is possible. If you have any suggestion for updating the models, for wearing, let me know.
For the Reach thighs I did an edited version that cut out the inner thigh gasket section to replace it with foam/fabric to help improve mobility. I can't recall if I linked that edited file elsewhere but I can send it your way if you'd like.

I may have missed it, but what are you using to "Weld" the pieces together w/?
I’m using a cheap little 3D doodle pen I got off amazon. It was like <$20. Uses the same filament I use in the printer, so I just use the little end rolls that I can’t trust to last a whole print haha. Basically superglue the parts together (scuff up the edges for grip) then lay a good bead of the PLA down the spine on the inside. If you look at the thigh, you can see the brown bead on the inside. Also great for filling gaps!

For the Reach thighs I did an edited version that cut out the inner thigh gasket section to replace it with foam/fabric to help improve mobility. I can't recall if I linked that edited file elsewhere but I can send it your way if you'd like.
Thanks Turbo. I did the same for somene on thingiverse already. I know I have it here somewhere...

Thanks Turbo. I did the same for somene on thingiverse already. I know I have it here somewhere...
I found the edit in your Carter ‘thing’. You commented it to a guys ‘make’.
It has the top thigh gasket removed like TurboCharizard mentions in his. Though Turbo, I’m always up for extra files too...I will likely have to reprint the first thigh to match anyway :)

As for the small change to the knife cover...I’m cool with what I have haha. If I have spare time I might re print later on, but it looks pretty good to me!

Undersuit wise. Do you guys think I could print a Hex pattern, heat some EVA and use it as a stamp? Kind of emboss it into the EVA? The. Just place the EVA where needes?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back