noob.... no explaining needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
update on how things are going: it was going good until i took a break.... which then turned into a "I forgot about it and stopped because i'm lazy" project :( i disappoint myself sometimes. I stopped progress on the helmet and started working on one hand because it was only 2 pages instead of 13 and is much easier and i'm close to finishing that\

Update:never mind I found out that the halo ce armor is much easier to make so i'm doing that

Last edited:
Don't be discouraged about any setbacks. This is your first time with this medium. It's only natural that problems will happen.
For example my current build has taken me 15 months so far and I'm still not done. Life will get in the way.
The best thing to do is learn and try again.
Buying a full suit may be a quick solution but, it has its drawbacks. Cheap materials, or it doesn't fit very well. To commission a custom suit can be very pricey. Look up some Halo helmets on Etsy. I have seen helmets go as much as $500.

Fortunately or unfortunately, this isn't a "microwave". It's a "crock-pot". What that means is things take time and effort. Especially with a group like the 405th. It will be months before you get a high quality costume, but the quality will be much better than most other methods. Just be patient.

alright so obviously i started on the halo ce helmet and its actually a lot easier than the halo 4 armor which was probably something too advanced for someone just starting like me and i have a lot more done :)

Look up some Halo helmets on Etsy. I have seen helmets go as much as $500.

This is the thing right here, buy a suit that's raw cast/formed for ~$2000 and up or sit down and learn a skill. It's all balancing time and money.
Fortunately or unfortunately, this isn't a "microwave". It's a "crock-pot". What that means is things take time and effort. Especially with a group like the 405th. It will be months before you get a high quality costume, but the quality will be much better than most other methods. Just be patient.

A year and a half difference of constant building and practice in different materials and procedures. The crockpot is a good analogy but I want to stress the fact that if you want to improve on your skills you need to work on them and challenge yourself.

September 2016
DSC01214.jpg

June 2018
DSC05629.jpg

Documenting your progress is also important because you can go back and look at what worked and what didn't. I constantly look back at stuff I've done and facepalm at what I thought was the best practice at the time, it's awesome.

TurboCharizard

That's a terrible example. Both those suits look amazing.

Definitely agree with documenting your progress, and I will add save your patterns and materials until you're all done. I keep mine in Manila folders. That way if you screw something up or there's a tragic accident and something gets damaged or ruined you don't have to start from ground zero.

this is challenging :( . BTW, I like the pose in the first picture better

CHEERS LUV! THE CAVALRY'S 'ERE!
DSC_1305.JPG

I haven't done the fun poses yet for the Spartan, don't worry, there'll be memes photoshoots.

Without a challenge, is it really worth doing Pierce ? The pride of finishing off something and then being able to say "I made that!" is the main reason of why I'm doing this whole cosplay thing.

Also each word is a link.

GUYS!!!! I GOT MORE TAPE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Update: I'm almost done and it is a lot bigger than I thought, obviously it isn't scaled to fit me but whatever its my first build and I'm just checking things out. All I have to do now is the back of the helmet

IMG_0073[1].JPG

Last edited:
No problem Pierce. Take as much time as you need for your build. We all get sidetracked now and then. It's the 'giving up' that's the enemy. Piece here, piece there....eventually it will get done.

First off, I heart you guys SO MUCH. This thread right here is what this community is all about.

Secondly, Pierce - as the very old saying goes "anything worth doing is worth doing well"...or something like that. Don't put the pressure on yourself to get it done quickly OR pre-decide that it's not going to look good. I took a class last year in the basics of building with foam. I made a cube. I'm proud of my cube. It looks like a cube. A cube without perfect seams and perhaps the corners need a little love but I made it and I tried hard. My next cube is going to be the SHIZNIT! And some day that cube skill is going to help me build a full suit. It taught me how to make clean cuts and what it feels like to cut at a perfect angle. How to glue seams without globs and ooze and get them to do up like a zipper. These skills all need to be honed and practiced. When I first learned to sew a LONG time ago, we had to sew lines on paper. First just straight ones, and then curvy and then shapes and eventually circles and spirals. Just enjoy this adventure with pepakura. These wonderful guys are here for the long haul and are beyond helpful.

So buckle up, make sure to keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times and just enjoy!

First: We love you to FANGS.....Just lucky you're all the way out in the Great white........wife would be very jealous otherwise.

Second: Pierce As much as we help......we also monkey about......be on the lookout for thread deraillers!!!!

giphy-downsized.gif

That's when we have the most fun........:D....and before you ask, YES. I'm one of them......;)

You saw the helmet through! Awesome.

Don't be bummed (because it is all just experience), but you will have to make another one. :D

You used scotch tape which will melt when you put resin on it. *whoops!
You did get some practice and now you have an example to help you scale with.

On your next piece it would be best to go with glue, either: craft glue, hot glue, or super glue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back