Noob Painting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jthavok21

Ok this is not a question on how to paint or what to paint. I was wondering if i'll make my armor look stupid by painting it to look new and Non battlescared and tested. I don't wanna get into the Massive detail until later. i just wanted to know if i'll ruin it or get criticised for making new looking armor.

It's your armor - do what ya want with it. Making it battlescarred makes it look more realistic and helps cover up any painting muckups, in my opinion. However, every Spartan came off the assembly line fresh and shiny at one time. You can always weather it up later.

Good point. I will have to look into it, Thanks. Honestly it's not that i'm lazy, I just wanna know what i'm doing before jumping into the harder stuff. I will make a second armor maybe someday and that one will be more detailed.

A fresh, clean spartan is no bad thing. If you don't battle damage your armor, you can just say that you're just THAT good in combat. But it's your project like Rumble said, finish it until you're happy.

Good point. I will have to look into it, Thanks. Honestly it's not that i'm lazy, I just wanna know what i'm doing before jumping into the harder stuff. I will make a second armor maybe someday and that one will be more detailed.

That's one way to do it. However, don't use that as a justification to get sloppy! If your pep model is total crap because "you don't want it to be detailed anyways", you will have to do another one later on. If you have a really good pep model, however, you can spray it green now and add more detail later, either with more paint or even with body filler.

Yeah, I need to take some good screens of a recon helmet so i can detail it but i'll get to that. I just wish i could find a Reach Recon helmet without the attachments so i can have full detail.

And, keep in mind that if you want it to look pro - a clean suit is alot harder to actually produce paint-wise and maintain than a weathered one.

It's your armor - do what ya want with it. Making it battlescarred makes it look more realistic and helps cover up any painting muckups, in my opinion. However, every Spartan came off the assembly line fresh and shiny at one time. You can always weather it up later.

If you are expecting to use it for halloween or midnight releases etc. they will be at night and not many people would notice. Buti n my opinion a few scratches here and there wouldnt hurt.

Another thing i just realized is that I can wear it around when done and it'll weather itself. I could do a mettalic layer under the paint so that when it does it'll look halfway decent. and then i can detail the weathered parts

That is tru! And also over time you probably might knock it over or drop it (i hope not too hard :) and it will scratch itself up.

Personally, I think weatherning is the easiest and most fun part. Just paint your nice metalic color after a filler primer, then put on liquid latex. You can find this in art stores. The application is the fun and simple part. Take a pen, dip it in the liquid latex and then flic it onto your armor. Make interresting patterns,put it on ridges, corners, etc. Any part you think the paint would get chipped off. I put a layer of paint that is similar to the final coat on to simulate dirt or something like that. Keep in mind that spartan armor is made out of titanium I think and titaium does not rust. Once that coat dries, peal off the liquid latex and then reapply it one the silver in an irregular fashion. Do not fully encompass the area. After that, apply your final coat. For a really deep intricate look add a very thick layer of your final paint. Peal off the liquid latex and your done. As you wear your armor, the paint will chip and the armor will damage, as this happens you will notice that you already have a nice compliment of scars and burrs on your armor, just paint silver withing the lines of your paint as it is damaged.

Now I think that it's not a bad idea to make a new Spartan but imperfections in the bondo process will be very very visible. Thats one thing to consider. One thing to consider also is to follow the steps above, except paint your final coat over everything without the last liquid latex process. This will provide the appearance of layers with a fresh coat of the final color. So essentially, you just painted over your battle damage.

Hope this helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back