Now Molding!!! Spase WIP...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok... the break down.....

Printing, marking, cuting out, folding and glueing... 6 hours (I took my time to get it right though, no rushing..)
Resin the outside, 1 hour
Fiberglass the inside, 2-3 hours
Glaze/Sand/prime, 10 hours

So I suppose it really only took 20 hours to get where I am at now.... I hadn't added it up before..

how many times did you resin the outside?? four times? cuz it freezes up after 15 min, most of the time even less. i coated mine in 7 minutes then it got all chunky. just one coat.

what did you do for the brim? and yeah, the cutting, glueing took 6 hours for me too

Well I rounded everything to an even hour... I coated the helmet in sections, bottom half, top half, and put two coats... 15 minutes a batch x 4 batches = 1 hour.... about

ahh isee.

how long does glaze stay useable? does it suddenly become solid or slowly become chunky?

and if i beat it into a shape i want it to, will it stay that shape?

You can't "beat it" at all.... its runny, kind of like molasses... when you put it on it will try to slowly run off the surface... if you put it on thin, the surface tension will help keep it in place... if you put it on thick, be ready for run city... this is why I use painters tape, to keep it off where I don't want it..

You use a putty knife to "smear it on, and you will see "drag" marks in the surface from your putty knife, but it is self leveling so the marks should settle... imagine pouring honey onto your kitchen table then draging a fork through it... it starts off as a "blob" with the drag marks in it, but it will try to spread out flat and the fork marks go away... Glaze is the same way..

You have to work with smaller area when using glaze so that you can control the "running"...

It sets in about the same time frame as bondo, 5-15 minutes depending on amount of hardener and environment (temp, lighting)... you will know when it starts to set because it will stop trying to self level which for me is about 5 minutes, and then in about 30 seconds it will turn into something about like bondo body filler putty, then 30 seconds later its hard and you can't smooth it out... then comes the sanding...

At this stage its still soft enough that sanding goes quick, and in about 15-20 minutes it is hard but still fairly easy to sand with 80 grit paper.... its cured when it gives off no more heat....

80 grit paper will leave sanding marks in the surface, that will show up in paint, so you should sand with 80 grit, then 180, then 320 to get rid of the sanding marks...

Let me ask, why would you want to beat it into shape? what shape are you talking about making?.
Glaze is used to fill craters, pits, low spots... and if you start to fool with it once it starts to set, you will seperate it from the surface it is on and it wont adhere properly...

Edit: I am going to go watch heroes, I Tivo'ed and then I am gonna play some H3... this is in case I don't answer immediately...

ah i see.
i just wanted to know if i can get the contours i want without sanding huge chunks away. i guess not.
because if i want to get the smoothness on the top of th helmet like you have, i have to sand it until it's like that don't i?

or should i sand the helmet and fiberglass before putting on the putty then sand it even more?

something I do to alleviate a bit of the sanding huge chunks off to get stuff smooth, is to sand/carve down the outside of a piece before I bondo it. get the surface of your pepakura piece to be a relatively smooth shape to begin with, then the bondo becomes more of a cosmetic application than to create the shape itself.

i work in cardboard so it's a little different, because I can shave away at it with a utility knife. But the same principle applies to cardstock. Sand/carve down the sharper edges of the piece before you bondo. It will save you a massive headache and a lot of sanding time later on :)

CG is correct in a a way, unfortunately this method really doesn't work for me as I can't shave away parts with a utility knife because before I even started detail I made sure the pep was structurally sound. The resin on the outside and fiberglass of the inside prevents this shaving.... you could attempt to sand before applying the putty like CG suggests, but as I applied the glaze I started to realize that the "Mountains" on my pep more or less represented where the sanding should stop.... i.e. I fill the valleys and sanded smooth with the tops of the mountains....

i actually do all the fiberglassing of the interior before I smooth out the shape as well Spase. But since I'm working in a cardboard, all I'm carving down and shaving away is the raw cardboard from the outside. That's why I enjoy it so much over something like cardstock :)

edit: yes cvs that's actually what i was suggesting. take something like a 40 or 60 grit sandpaper and just go to town on all the sharp mountain edges. just make sure not to take too much off. Don't want to hurt the structural integrity of the fiberglass. (though if you've done multiple layers of glass that won't be a problem)

Technically you could yes, and my helmet has enough glass on the interior to spare thank fully, because there are a few places where I did have to sand off a corner or edge "mountain" to get a smooth shape... I don't know how you guys do cardboard.. I am so anal about things being symetrical that it would take me forever to get card board cut out with no pattern where I wanted... Props to the guys that can do it.

Are you sure that isn't molded, cause that looks awesome as hell. Can't wait to see this painted.

I'm hoping you're going to mold this, and do a run of these... this is fabulous! If you need help, let me know!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back