[ODST Armor] Polyester Resin for Fiberglassing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

llNomadll

Can I use Polyester Resin for fiberglassing?

I know I should be using Polyurethane or Aqua Resin. But there's no way to get those in Singapore. Aqua Resin is not brought into Singapore, Polyurethane is ridiculously expensive ($100 SGD for 500g Resin + 500g Hardener. That's $76.02 USD!)

I know that the tensile strength comes from the Fiberglass not the Resin. So is it possible to use this?

Would this affect me in the future when I do the spray painting, decaling, filing, shaping, etc?
Esp when I'm gonna make grooves and extrusions etc.

Please advice!

Hey!
I'm a total noob at this, but i just used the basic fiberglass resin with a little extra hardener to coat the pep work b4 "glassing" and it seemed to work fine, as I couldn't find "aqua" resin anywhere here in Oz, but i may be wrong :)

I tried polyester resin and had bad results. But it may have been that I used too thin of coats, not sure. I switched to fiberglass resin and it worked better, but I am gonna try the polyester again sometime because it looks better than fiberglass resin. My advice is to be sure that you avoid thin coats with polyester resin, it cracks very easily and has some really sharp edges. Almost tore up my mold with that stuff.

Yo guys, fibreglass resin is not a technical term. Polyester resin is the resin that they use with fibreglass, hence the name fibreglass resin. Fibreglass resin could also mean polyester resin with chopped strands of fibreglass to strengthen the resin when it has harden. Thus polyester resin and fibreglass resin is more or less the same thing.
Since you are using "fibreglass" resin with fibreglass itself, having the chopped strands won't really matter.
I am planning to buy 20Kg of Polyester resin from the industries, do pm me if you might want a few Kg I could sell them to you at a cheap price :)

Yo guys, fibreglass resin is not a technical term. Polyester resin is the resin that they use with fibreglass, hence the name fibreglass resin. Fibreglass resin could also mean polyester resin with chopped strands of fibreglass to strengthen the resin when it has harden. Thus polyester resin and fibreglass resin is more or less the same thing.
Since you are using "fibreglass" resin with fibreglass itself, having the chopped strands won't really matter.
I am planning to buy 20Kg of Polyester resin from the industries, do pm me if you might want a few Kg I could sell them to you at a cheap price :)

Magmasceptre knows what he's talking about. Polyester Resin is a type of fiberglass resin. I use it at school all the time and get great results, it just takes practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back