Soft Parts ODST Dress Blues from "We are ODST" Live Trailer Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadpoolXODST

Member DIN
S020
Hello everyone and good day. I will be going through how I made my ODST Dress Blues, and how to make them a bit more screen accurate.
My experience with Military Uniforms comes from my time in the US Army Infantry.
Please keep in mind, just as with my OC ODST Summer Uniform, most the Medals are the ones I earned in the Army. No stolen Valor as I am not posing as a soldier, I am a Veteran so I am allowed to wear them.

First off here is a picture of mine. ODST Dress blues.png
Below is a list of items that I used: After that I will make a list of items that can be used to make it more screen accurate-

Royal Marines Jacket Number 1 costs around 30-60€ depending on the size and condition.genuine-british-navy-royal-marines-no1-dress-jacket-tunic-rm-ors-all-sizes-fxzyi--5505-500x500_0.jpg

All the buttons and color insignia are original Royal Marines.

The white edge on the shoulder lapels can be done a few ways. I used white paracord and sewed it to the edge. My Girlfriend used white felt material and sewed it to it.

The ODST Rocker patch I had made on Ebay. the Font name is "Denmark". White edging and black background Rocker Patch.jpg

The UNSCDF Patch on the right shoulder from Ebay. Patch.jpg

Royal Navy Officer cap also around 20-40€.3022948-0001_angle_2.jpg

The Black band around the cap ist just 50mm wide stretch band cut and sewn to go around it. gummiband_50mm_dunkelgrau.jpg

Cap emblem is a USMC Cap emblem. I am trying to get ones made that are more screen accurate.USMC.jpg

A pair of classic grey dress pants with a black stripe sewn down the outer seem.Pants.jpg

A white Automatic ratchet style leather belt with a nice plain chrome buckle. Belt.jpg I used a different Buckle but I cant find a picture as of yet. But this buckle will also work.

Shoes are not shown but I use my original Bates Patent Leather shoes from the US Army. they can be bought new in the US or found on Ebay every now and then.Shoes.jpg

Rank Master Sergeant, Replica US Army WWII (White and not gold) Any Rank can be used. Buck is a Gunnery Sergeant which is equal to E-7 In the US Army this is SFC Sergeant First Class
The shoulder Rank is not screen accurate but since ODSTs are Marines and not Navy I decided to use this rank, Plus it is closer to the Rank I wore. Rnk.jpg

The wrist Insignia are service stripes. I could not find any in Germany that fit what I wanted so I made my own. I Used the US Army style, 1 Slanted stripe equals 3 years Service, Left Arm. Right arm, Straight stripes equal 6 months of combat service. I just used a certain Number for looks. (Pic shows Gold but the stripes need to be White)Stripes2.jpg Stripes.jpg

The ribbons are just a random set from Ebay. They are nor missing any spots and not slanted because that drove me crazy, Being a Veteran I could not allow that on my uniform, Lol. Now I have learned how to make my own, which is much cheaper. Rack.jpg An Empty Rack. Ribbon bars.jpg

The pins are a few pins and medals I got from the Halo Lootcrate, from Gamescom Xbox stand and a few of my own from the US Army. Important Do not use a blue combat infantry badge if you have not earned it.
Also some kind of Airborne wings should be added as they are Hell Jumpers so it fits well. the best looking ones I have found are the German BW Jump wings (Fallschirmjäger Abzeichen).
BW Wings.jpg 37374656_1332513503548751_5290450095697821696_n.jpg

The cord is my own Infantry Blue Cord. Do not use this if you have not earned it. there are many other ose that can be bought in different colors and with 8mm PolyPro cord you can make your own.
Cord.jpg

So, this is the list on how I plan to make mine more screen accurate.

The emblems and buttons I will try to cast in epoxy resin or Pewter. They will just be a round disc with the UNSCDF Emblem without the Wreath. Perfect_Black_UNSC_logo.png

I will make a new cord out of white 5mm PolyPro cord. White cord.jpg

The rank can be self made or try WWII US Navy enlisted stripes in White (Modern is only Red, Blue and Gold). n_grp_rte_e_3_serge_seaman_81130_grande.jpeg

the Proper patch on the Right shoulder needs to be custom made. I do have the image in Hi_res, thanks to Asgardianhammer. UNSCDF patch.jpg

I will make my own Ribbon bars and keep it only 3 wide instead of 4 wide. but these can also be bought on ebay or an army store with 3 wide. You can order the Ribbon Material and with a bit of Black Plastic, Some glue on pins, and hot glue you can make your own. Ribbon_Collection_Image_copy_800x.jpg Pins.jpg sem-header-thin-1.jpg

After reviewing a few more reference pictures I noticed some of the ODSTs have a Foreign Leagion Medal.
to be exact it is pin 95 for sword fighting. MarineHonourGuard5.jpg

Or use the ones in the Trailer with this. Ribbon bars.jpg Slide on style ribbons 8013069_0000.jpg

I hope this helps. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Attachments

• UNSCDF.png
    UNSCDF.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 427
  • unscdf (1).png
    unscdf (1).png
    135.1 KB · Views: 643
Last edited:
Hi I really love this tutorial. My idea was a little more basic. I’m basically taking a USMC uniform and painting/dying it black. Making the smaller details white, adding a “airborne” pin (the parachute with wings) and then I’m going to just take the amazon/eBay ribbon rack and attach that to be as screen accurate as possible

Yet you're wearing gauges. Do you even AR 670-1, breh?

It also says he is in the European Regiment, which I understand that people can move to new areas but, honestly...this is just cosplay....none of us are trying to impersonate real military personnel so no one is really going to care if you explain what’s going on

none of us are trying to impersonate real military personnel so no one is really going to care if you explain what’s going on

Does this mean I can stop waking up at 0400 to do hours of PT with an angry loudmouth who shouts cadences and insults at me?! Cuz, he he, you know, CREATE YOUR OWN SPARTAN CHARACTER and all that sort of thing, what?

Does this mean I can stop waking up at 0400 to do hours of PT with an angry loudmouth who shouts cadences and insults at me?! Cuz, he he, you know, CREATE YOUR OWN SPARTAN CHARACTER and all that sort of thing, what?

Considering what we are doing is 100% made up and looks NOTHING like the uniforms you wear today, means that some people just have their panties in a twist and want to get into a fight. If someone cannot distinguish what is real and what is fiction, then the problem lays with them not me.

Considering what we are doing is 100% made up and looks NOTHING like the uniforms you wear today, means that some people just have their panties in a twist and want to get into a fight. If someone cannot distinguish what is real and what is fiction, then the problem lays with them not me.

Oh, of course. I was just giving him a hard time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back