Odst (Good Starter Armor?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack2665

Hi I’m new to the prop making world (art even for that matter)

So I was just wondering if ODST is too hard for a noob too do? I really like the ODST Armour and the SMG I won’t if I do start my ODST it won’t even be for at least 4 weeks. So if you can post some pointers

maybe the odd photo of your ODST SMG or Armour.

Thanks, bye.

First, welcome to the 405th.

I've pepped a lot of pieces from this site, and I'd have to say that there really aren't any that I have found that I would call hard. Some take more time and patience than others, but construction is pretty straight forward. Cut it out, score and fold, and then glue it all together. There's nothing too hard about that. MOST pieces will tend to fall into shape as you glue more on to them.

My advice is if you like ODSTs, go ahead and build one of those suits. Just take your time, be patient, and don't skimp on supplies or effort unless you absolutely have to. If you get stuck, ask for help, and try not to get discouraged. It takes a lot to get a good piece built, but once you do, you'll realize it was well worth it. Best of luck to you.

Mal

ok well ive been building my ODST suit and its coming along great.With the difficulty,dont worry about that,none of the ODST pieces are hard as long as u take ur time,i use super glue when i glue the tabs together just because it dries super fast and saves time,My work in progress is in my sig so click on that link and u can see my work.Only thing left to say is good luck future ODST.

Welcome to the 405th trooper!

I agree with Malechei and Harding29. Making props and armor can't be made in a day, so just take your time. If you mess up, scrap the peice and start a new one(only if its impossible to repair.)

Why don't you start on a peice of Halo 1 marine armor. It's a bit easier to do and you can start to get used to making armor fro0m pep.

Good luck trooper, see you on the ground.

-Pony

Welcome aboard, Reaper. Always nice to see another join our ranks ;)

I guess, compared to the Mk VI armour pieces, the ODST is an easier model to build (not quite so detailed or fold-intensive). But, as others have already said here, there really isn't any HALO Pep file that's difficult to do. You just need to devote a good amount of time, patience and effort to get it right.

As Pony suggested, it might be a good idea to start on something a little simpler even, like the HALO 1 Marine armour :cool

In terms of difficulty considering what it takes to make a full suit includeing hardparts, helmet, undersuit, etc. Mjolnir armour is the hardest, ODST a bit easier, and Marine a bit easier than that.

Welcome :)

I've also just started, and my first project is a ODST set. I've so far pepped the chest, one thigh and a torso which was too small. It's not been too hard so far, so i'd say give it a go. As long as you scale everything correctly it should be fairly simple to pep.

I'd also not set yourself a time to do it in. They say good things take time and this is definatly the case. Don't rush anything or you'll regret it when you're close to finishing (or find you have to start things again)

If you want easy but something that'd be a good learning experience, I'd say try the H3 marine from the halowiki: http://halocostuming.wikia.com/wiki/Pepakura_File_Index and then move on to odst either after you finish the build or just think you really have the hang of it with the folds and gluing of the pep alone. That's just how I got around to better and more detailed builds.

Welcome to the 405th and best of luck with your builds.

Well, I will say this....

I first made the hayabusa helmet. Took me about 15 hours to complete.........and that was just cutting, folding and glueing! I think that the hayabusa helemt is the most pain in the 4$$ because of the spikes or crown (as some call it) is annoying to put together!! I hated doing those and I had to make the helmet twice because the first one was a bit too small!! I am new to this as well and this was my very first project.....and it sucked! lol

I have made a recon helmet now for my ODST Dare costume and that was MUCH easier to do. It wasn't the actual ODST helmet, but even the ODST helmet does not look too bad. I have already put together a lot of the ODST armor and it does seem a bit easier than the Mark VI. The ODST does not have a torso like the Mark VI. There are just a few pieces for the armor. There is still lots of folding and glueing and it will still require time and patience to complete, but so far, I have enjoyed putting together what I have done so far.

Well I’ve been looking at some blue prints and the armour look’s not to hard but the helms gone a be the hard bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back