Odst helmet building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha Lord

I just started in this kind of stuff and decided to post my progress so any criticism may help in order to improve my work.. here is so far what i´ve done.. pepakura helmet then resin/fiberglass then primer and bondo... can u give me any ideas about how to make the visor? thanks!
74531_464940947401_597767401_5481624_876356_n.jpg
37176_464941727401_597767401_5481633_3321220_n.jpg
75648_464942597401_597767401_5481639_2270496_n.jpg

Looks good. You got a lot of sanding ahead.

If you want to visor in that shape the only way to get it is to vacuum form it. Thats defiantly not an easy task to do seeing how you would have to make a vacuum table. If you have one already, great. Use a rottery tool and cut the visor out of your helmet and form a sheet of smoked plexiglass or what ever use use for your visor and use it as the mold.

Again, thats not an easy task if you have never done it before. Other wise just slap in a full faced visor in and dont worry about the shape.

Thanks! this is my very first build and i didn't want to get a lot of bondo on it.. im using spot putty after this and will try to use acetate for the visor just for a start... im building it for paintball coz im a formal player so i want a resistant visor but maybe for a second try ill vac fomr it... do u know someone who has made any paintball wearable halo related suit??

Oh god. I think I'll just quote RoadKiller from another thread asking to make armor for paint balling. There's also a video of a helmet shattering from paintballing on youtube somewhere according to misfitjh. Have a link....
So in short, no just no. Just play with a certified helmet. It'll save you headaches and possibly your head.....

Hi, this is a forum about creating costumes in tribute to the Halo games. They are not intended to be used for an inherently more dangerous hobby such as airsoft or paintball. The equipment used in those sports is certified as safe for that event.

If anyone were to use an idea or technique suggested on the 405th and get injured, it is possible that the staff here could be found liable. Therefore such discussions are normally closed and deleted when found by an administrator.

In short, if you enjoy airsoft or paintball, that is great! But please take discussion of your hobby to an appropriate forum. This is a forum to help you create a costume, not protective equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! this is my very first build and i didn't want to get a lot of bondo on it.. im using spot putty after this and will try to use acetate for the visor just for a start... im building it for paintball coz im a formal player so i want a resistant visor but maybe for a second try ill vac fomr it... do u know someone who has made any paintball wearable halo related suit??

I've played paintball for many years now and I know quite a bit about it myself. As a player I would like to have something cool to wear when playing but I would also know what would work for the sport as well. Now there are many players out there that play in scenario games and in those games the players will modify what they are wearing to represent the theme, in such games they still need to have the basic safety equipment that meets the current standards for playing paintball. I would suggest you look for a paintball scenario site and see what you can find there and see what is and is NOT approved.

None of the home made visors would be a good idea for you to use because, as stated many times on this very site, it will not be able to withstand the force of paintballs hitting it. there several full head/helmet style masks for painball that may be used for the sport that will look very much the scifi part. You might be even able to do as the above mentioned method of a rubber mold, but even then it is still not the say protection quality as something made for the paintball. I would also suggest if you want a suit is to make it out of foam. There are alot of good foam suits on here that you might want to try, keep in mind that they too are not made for playing in. the foam suit may not have parts that have sharp pieces in it but they will get damaged if used, and I'm sure would need to be approved by whatever field you play at.

So remember that having a cool looking suit may seem like a good idea but having the proper equipment is the first thing to think about.

If you want to visor in that shape the only way to get it is to vacuum form it.
not entirely true,
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/26508-Halo-3-ODST-Visors
i used a method similiar to this for mine (seen in my sig) the only i would do differently is to use more patience and less glue...lol the first piece i glued came out perfect, then i got hasty and smeared on the next two seams...lol.

Your Pep work looks excellent from what i can see in teh pictures, where did you get your helmet and pauldron files btw?

Deffinitly going to have to agree with those above on the paintball. Don't risk it. Certified systems have to be able to withistand impacts from the .68 caliber projectiles traveling greater than 300 ft/s. Not likely (some have shown at all) that a bondo/ fiberglass helm would survive this, let alone an acetate visor.

thanks for the comments guys I posted that question because there are people in my country that assures they can make halo helmets suitable for paintball and they actually sell them online... But it´s good to know that they´re not suitable for this... altough... it´s going to be fun to show off my helmet at the paintball field ...you know ... just to get fun
As for the pep files I got them from wikia halo and 4 share mirror

If you really wanted to play paintball in a helm I would suggest using this JT Full Head Mask. This is an actual mask and is fairly cheap. Then I would scale up a helm and build it big enough to fit the Jt mask inside it. That way there is no question to your safety because you will have a real mask making contact with your face and the helm would just be an overlay. It would probably have to be bigger than normal to fit the mask but I think thats a small price to pay when it comes to safety, which in the end is ultimately the most important thing. From one paintballer to another I hope this helps and please be safe.

Wouldn't it work to create a mold of an extended shape of the visor cut out? Then making the visor using Crystal Clear 202? It would also allow you to color the visor and shape it how you feel fit.
I'm not even sure if that would work, or if people just avoid it because of the price, but the visor is so much of the detail that I'd see in necessary to make your own, you know?

Looks good. You got a lot of sanding ahead.

If you want to visor in that shape the only way to get it is to vacuum form it. Thats defiantly not an easy task to do seeing how you would have to make a vacuum table. If you have one already, great. Use a rottery tool and cut the visor out of your helmet and form a sheet of smoked plexiglass or what ever use use for your visor and use it as the mold.

Again, thats not an easy task if you have never done it before. Other wise just slap in a full faced visor in and dont worry about the shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back