1st Build ODST Medic Foam Build

Looking really good. I like that chest peice... and only done in a few weeks is really fast.. and using jig saw foam puzzle gym mats creative indeed!

i agree with Exia that the chest part looks good and the rest of the armor looks good to, but using the jig saw foam great idea

Been roughly a week and a half since PAX AUS 2023. Had an absolute blast meeting all sorts of new people and learning new skills. Got to talk to some more experienced cosplayers and got some good advice. I also got the actual colour the mini that my armours based off, so I’m gonna remake all the armour and paint it with the proper paint. Last time I made rakshasa shins and thighs because they looked easier, but I personally rather the look of the og odst leg armour.
czM6Ly9waXhwYS10ZXN0L2NvbS9sYXJnZS83MDMwMTMvMTY5NzM3OTM4My02MTAzMTItZ20tcGF4MjMxMDA2MjMxMDA2LT...png
czM6Ly9waXhwYS10ZXN0L2NvbS9sYXJnZS83MDMwMTMvMTY5NzM3OTM4NC05MjQyNzAtZ20tcGF4MjMxMDA2MjMxMDA2LT...png

I’ll be working on a revamp in the next few weeks. I’m gonna get the quality down pat this time around. Spoke to a few people here and got some awesome undersuit guidance. It should all be done in a month or two.
Stay tuned! I’ll be posting updates regularly. Feedback is very much appreciated so don’t be shy.

Started a foam ODST medic build a month ago and figured I'd start a thread for it. It's for PAX AUS 2023 in Melbourne, so at the time I'm writing this, I've got around 2 weeks to finish it. This is my first ever proper foam cosplay, so feedback is well appreciated.

The colour scheme comes from this mini I found on r/halo. By the time I actually thought of asking the guy for permission, I had already ordered the visor and painted the helmet. He never got back to me either way.
View attachment 336214

Funnily enough, this foam build started out with a 3D printed helmet. The task of making a helmet solely out of foam was rather daunting since I hadn't really worked with the stuff ever. I actually used the helmet files I got from TnG R1ckx's ODST thread. The rest of the files I bought off heroes workshop. The helmet itself I printed in 4 parts. Mainly because I was scared if I printed it in one piece a small imperfection would waste tens of hours and filament.
View attachment 336200

Now, most people probably already know this, but DO NOT PUT SPOT PUTTY ON A RAW 3D PRINT. You can probably tell just by looking at it, but it got all in the lines on the top. It took me 2 straight days of blisters and a pack of toothpicks to get it clear. Not to even mention the sanding.
View attachment 336203

I eventually got it all clear and did a few coats of rustolieum filler primer followed by a wet sand, followed by silver primer. You can still see the massive seam lines on the helmet, but it's whatever.
View attachment 336204

Now to put in perspective, that last image and this next one have around 3 months in-between them. I'm a big procrastinator, but I was also waiting until my commissioned visor was done. I bought some liquid latex from big w, did the paint chippings, and did a coat of either satin or matte white. I can't remember. Kinda regretting not doing gloss, but I have a can of clear gloss lying around in the garage that I bought ages ago so I'll probably do that soon.
View attachment 336205

Okay now for the good part, I started work on the main torso piece roughly a month ago. I think I took this photo to show what a difference a good knife makes. The section of the left was cut by a trojan snap blade I got from bunnings for like 5 bucks. And the one on the right was cut by some box cutter I found lying around.
View attachment 336206

This was my first big victory with the foam. The seams were shotty, but it's seriously the best thing I had made with the stuff up until then.
View attachment 336208

I got the torso done after around 2 days of labouring. You can kinda see the straps falling apart which I fixed the day after this photo. I made the chest plate absolutely ages ago and I happened to find it when going through my cupboard. It looks... okay to say the least. It fits and so it shall be used.
View attachment 336209

Next up was the shoulders. I'm not good at cutting foam on an angle. At all. So I went with the landfall shoulders. I made the template roughly 6 months ago in case the 3D printer gave out. (which it did).
View attachment 336210

After hanging out with some cool halo peeps at OZ comic con in brizzy, I got a rush of motivation and threw these together the following day. The thighs are rakshasa in case you're wondering. And the darker foam on the stomach plates are lumins workshop's 4mm hardlite foam.
View attachment 336211

And the very next day, I got the knees done. Played around with scoring the inside of the foam and I think it turned out pretty good. Not entirely sure where these templates are from, I just asked for some knees online and promptly received some.
View attachment 336212

Looks mighty rad with the thighs.
View attachment 336213

These are the shoes I'll be wearing with the armor. Just some regular black boots.
View attachment 336215

And for the clothes I bought a black ribbed turtleneck, and some black cargo pants.
View attachment 336216
So, this is where I'm currently at. With pax 2 weeks down the road, I have forearm, shin, boot, belt, and glove armor to make. Again, feedback is very well appreciated.
Epic Broski!

I'm going to be doing a medic as well, but I'm going to try and construct the Suture Armor from Anvil Station. That is my 2024 goal.

My ECCC and Expo goal is to have a med vac pilot outfit done.

I started printing today, so we shall see what becomes of it!

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back