Odst Squad: W.i.p

Status
Not open for further replies.

ram

I showed some dorm friends my mark VI build I made over the summer and we've decided to take up making the odst squad; Buck, Mickey, Dutch, Romeo, and the Rookie (no persons willing to be Dare yet). I've started this thread to show our method for building the popular new ODST armor as well as recieve input as to how we can improve our process.

Currently we have only finished the pep stage of the project but for only five days work, mostly done by myself, I believe we are making steady progress. Instead of making a fiberglass suit like my mark VI, this time around I plan on making molds of our fiberglassed pieces so we wont have to make five seperate suits. I plan on waiting until after the armor is finished before starting on any weapons, however you can look forward to seeing the new silenced SMG and magnum, as well as a scratch build rocket launcher.

Step 1: Pepakura

So far we've managed to pep an entire suit for a 6'-6'3" build, unfortunately two of the five of us are < 5'6" so we'll have to make a second set of certain pieces such as the shin and thigh. For items like the shoulder, hip, knee, and shin, we only needed to make one model since they're symmetrical and won't matter once they're molded. I also plan on getting away with molding only one forearm by molding the elbow seperately and attaching it later, although I'm still not quite sure how I want to go about doing this. Also, we will not be making a torso piece, instead we will be wearing tactical vests with custom made neck covers.

I've uploaded all my files as a .zip and posted it here. (Keep in mind these pieces are currently scaled for someone over 6 feet, so make adjestments accordingly.)

Here are some pics of our progress.

So heres the collection so far. There's not a lot of room in a college dorm so for now we're just taping them to te wall (Lets go Mountaineers!).

This pic only includes the pieces that will make it to the next stage. We started with the WETA models and got 1/2 way through those before I discovered the newer ODST thread with updated pieces. I can't tell you how many models we had to scrap due to poor scaling and outdated models. (So many hours wasted :angry )

gallery_15086_1609_1200270.jpg

The Helmet:

I started off making an NZ-TK model first but then found Ral Partha's unfold of Rundown's model. After making the NZ-TK scaled to 29cm I decided to scale the second down to 28cm. In hindsight 28.5cm probably would have been ideal but im sure as h311 not making another one.

gallery_15086_1609_123338.jpg

gallery_15086_1609_1477194.jpg

Im still looking for a detailed model of Buck's helmet com, but since its such a small piece I may just take a whack at sculpting it from clay For now anyway I believe we're ready to move onto fiberglassing

Step 2: Fiberglass

Found a place to fiberglass.

gallery_15086_1609_1183410.jpg

It's not an amazing place to work but it will work for now.

Note: Laquer thinner eats through plastic cups. Something I had forgotten since my mark vi project

gallery_15086_1609_95713.jpg

To help prevent leaving air pockets around edges and deep recesses I fill them with "mud"

gallery_15086_1609_1309269.jpg

So far ive gotten everything fiberglassed except for the breast plate. The one I had resined got warped so I'll have to pep a new one. (fortunate since a new, more accurate, model has been released since then) As for the permutation pieces such as Romeo's sniper plate and Mickey's CQ pad, those will have to wait until my friends are more willing to help me. I gave the pieces aquick coat of primer to get a better idea of what the pieces look like after adding the composites.

gallery_15086_1609_1601583.jpg

And some close ups of the helmet. No apparent warping except for some on the back. Nothing that cant be fixed with body filler though.

gallery_15086_1609_1316429.jpg
gallery_15086_1609_1007902.jpg

Step 3: Bondo

Comming Soon

Step 4: Molding

Comming Soon

Step 5: Paint

Comming Soon

Step 6: Strapping

I can't get to detailed on this section just yet because I don't have anything tangible to show you but here is the flight suit and tactical vest we plan on using.

foxfltsuitLG.jpg
MOLLE-136.jpg

To Be Continued!

OH MY GOD your skills are truly amazing bravo nice peped armor i am so making a rookie helmet now i still can not get over how truly awesome the pep looks

Great work on the build trooper!!

Keep it up and hope you get that room so you can fiberglass those peices!!

-Pony XD!!!

That's quite a foothold you've got there on your project. Amazing peps, can NOT wait wait to see it finished. Good luck!

There's no better way of doing an ODST suit than as a 4-man squad! Good luck on finding your work space and I look forward to group shots!

Looking good! I like the idea of scoring and folding down the middle of the crease. Excellent job bud!

Great work so far! And nice idea on the scoring in those little creases, I spent a while working hard to get those tiny folds perfect, Looks like you guys are going to have an AWESOME squad. Keep it up, and keep us updated on your progress!

There are some places I think that this would cause some more work, actually. I just finished Resining my sniper goggles, and if I had done that, I would've had to fill that ridge with bondo and sand it even. However, I will be using this idea to help construct my helmet. Great work!

Holy cow! Very nice pepping work! I know that college dorms are very small, but, in a way, they are a very ideal place to make armor from. Your whole armor-making team lives with you (aka - All night pep-fests, etc), no parents telling you to stop (in the words of mom) "doing that stuff," room to hang armor on the wall due to a complete lack of big family picture frames, you have your laptop/pep stuff/drinks all in one place ... the list goes on

Anyway, I was wondering (cause I'll be heading off to college in one or two years, depending on whether I'll take a gap-year or not), how does the whole fiberglassing thing work out at college? Where do you do it, or where do they let you do it? Just wondering.

Loving the progress, can't wait to see more of it!

Shade

PS - Is that an SMG in-the-making that I spy?

It was like someone up high is rooting for us. It has been <50 degrees for the last week and raining for 2 days straight; yet as I finished my last classes for the week it was 70 sunny and dry! Found an old beat up picnic bench in the grass under the trees behind the dorms so I brought out the pep collection to start resining. I finished resining everypiece except for the shin. Before it started to rain again I was able to add "mud" to the grooves and corners of the interior of each piece. I do this so the fiberglass has a smoother surface to adhere to preventing me from leaving air pockets around sharp edges. (You all know what im talking about)

Sorry I forgot to take my camera outside with me however, weather permitting, I will take pics tomorrow after I pick up some more resin and begin fiberglassing.

A guy on my floor asked a buddy of his about using his house on campus for us to work at. He seems optomistic about it but I don't believe it would be the most ideal location to work at since there is no garage or anything and it will start getting very cold very quick.

Another option I've come across recently is the Design Build Fly club. This club builds large scale remote control planes each semester using the same type of materials. I still have to speak with the manager but if he agrees than we'll have a shop to work in as well as tools and resources. (fingers crossed)

Fiberglassing begins tomorrow, pics otw.

Moved this out of the first post for clarity.

Tip: There are a lot of small folds in this file (as well as a lot of other ODST files i've come to find) that form grooves in the final model. When comming across folds like this

PepFold.jpg
I find it much easier to score and fold directly down the middle of the two valley folds, like so
PepFold2.jpg

The resulting crease will come to a point instead of a flat edge which won't effect your model at all and makes like 1000x easier.

DSCN0128.jpg
DSCN0129.jpg

(Yes I cut both my thumb and index finger. No i'm not sloppy with an exacto knife. I was simply really tired from staying up all weekend cutting paper and slipped a couple of times. fyi I was able to go a good 56 hours straight before finally collapsing for a 16 hour power nap :p)

Mac said:
Moved this out of the first post for clarity.

Tip: There are a lot of small folds in this file (as well as a lot of other ODST files i've come to find) that form grooves in the final model. When comming across folds like this

I find it much easier to score and fold directly down the middle of the two valley folds, like

The resulting crease will come to a point instead of a flat edge which won't effect your model at all and makes like 1000x easier.

(Yes I cut both my thumb and index finger. No i'm not sloppy with an exacto knife. I was simply really tired from staying up all weekend cutting paper and slipped a couple of times. fyi I was able to go a good 56 hours straight before finally collapsing for a 16 hour power nap :p)

This is an awesome tip. Lol Wish I had seen this post earlier. I am about half way through making my pep. Hope your friends wake up and help with the work.

I know I am trying to get some of mine in on this too.

Last edited by a moderator:
So since I haven't found a place to start bondo work I decided to work on some accessory pieces.

Here is my work so far on the backpack. I printed out pep pieces as a template and then traced them over foam board. (I added the "JOINHERE"s in pepakura to make sure I lined the pages up correctly)

gallery_15086_1609_651275.jpg

Here's a quick pic to show the scale. (40cm according to the .pdo) Let me know if it looks ok.

gallery_15086_1609_975356.jpg

I ran out of foam board so I couldn't quite finish the whole thing, but you get the picture...

gallery_15086_1609_114823.jpg

My first idea for reinforcing the foam board is to fiberglass the outside. I'll use an @ss load of resin to smooth over the fiberglass strands as well as bondo the whole thing when I add the detail. But this seems like a lot of work and the final piece would be kinda heavy. If anyone has any better ideas please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back