Odst Tactical Body Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theron113

Jr Member
This is what I have been working on. The ODST I am making out of cardboard and hot glue to later be fiberglassed and slightly bondo'd then painted for a set of Airsoft/Paintball armor. I am aware that some people don't think that it will work, but I don't want comment on that. :cautious: I am prepared to invest time and money regardless of the end result. I have made small changes to the bodysuit to make the suit more functional and less fantasy. If you can think of any ways to make it more tactical, though, feel free to post. :)

[attachment=8148:Diagram.jpg]

Constructive critism is also welcome!

Good diagram! Regardless of what anyone tries to tell you, it is totally and completely possible to make a good suit for paintball and airsoft. People just don't think it will work because it hasn't been done yet. ;) I would say that a good strategy for reloading might be to modify a cheap pod pack made for paintball, splice it, and attach velcro so you could carry 1-2 pods on you thighs, and maybe another 3-4 on the back plate (lower).

And maybe add some really good padding to the inside of you suit! Airsoft bb's don't hurt, but paintballs do tend to sting a bit. Some extra padding could save you some welts.

It's not that no one has done it yet, it's that no one has done it successfully yet. My AEG will shatter plastic window casings and it will definitely punch right through fiberglass. The only way to do it successfully would be to use kevlar instead of fiberglass matting, and that is very pricey ($59.99 for a 50"x36" piece of fabric)

not to put the idea down, we dont want to be held responsible to anyone getting hurt or really injured. which would lead to us getting shut down. thats why we dont encourage anyone to do it

It's not that no one has done it yet, it's that no one has done it successfully yet. My AEG will shatter plastic window casings and it will definitely punch right through fiberglass. The only way to do it successfully would be to use kevlar instead of fiberglass matting, and that is very pricey ($59.99 for a 50"x36" piece of fabric)

Yeah that's what I was trying to imply lol. A much modified alternative reinforcement method would have to be taken. Like kevlar, or something similarly strong. I'm sure with a bit of research you'd be able to find something that would hold up.

not to put the idea down, we dont want to be held responsible to anyone getting hurt or really injured. which would lead to us getting shut down. thats why we dont encourage anyone to do it

I agree with this too. You've just gotta approach this in a way that is totally safe. Probably going so far as to not use your homemade helm for actually playing, but use an ANSI certified helmet/mask specifically made for paintball/airsoft. It may not be 100% accurate, but wouldn't you rather keep your sight? There are plenty of great Paintball masks out there that look similar to an ODST helm. You would just have to experiment. The rest of the armor should be made as a "prop" and meant to be played with as a "prop". It can be built to withstand impact, but if your intent is for it to "protect" you, that's where legal trouble comes in. I'd say it would be smart to refer to this project as a "prop" build for a paintball/airsoft game. Not meant to modify or in any way improve your performance. Just simply as a prop. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It was not my intention to throw any legality into limbo. So let me just say now that I am crafting a prop meant to withstand impact from flying spheres. I understand that if it doesn't do what it is designed for, then it is in no way the fault of the 405th's, or anyone associated with them or their party. I think that covers the legal statement.

@heavy
I plan on rigging it up like a tac. vest. MOLLE compatible, even. Everything will be on velco. Weapon holsters, ball carriers, magazine pouches, the whole nine.

@bf
You have a good point, but you fail to take into account the fact that Kevlar works by flexing and catching the projectile and not letting it penetrate. If Kevlar was held rigid, it would be a mediocre defense against anything. However, we could probably argue back and forth for hours on whether or not it would work, but that is not what I want. There are plenty of threads that do that already.

this is pretty left field thinking here, but how about making composite armour. kind of like the skin that aibus have used on the new super jumbo, what they did was layered thin aluminium with fiberglass and resin, making it over all, stronger than aluminium that was much thicker, its just a thought, and granted i'm only thinking of using al foil here, but surely, if you have an aeg to hand, it wouldn't be too hard to test how many layers of the two yu'd need to stop an airsoft round

Even if the armor did not completely stop the airsoft round, it would certainly reduce the impact a great deal. A metal airsoft round could possibly go through it, but I would be very surprised if a plastic bb penetrated a layer or two of fiberglass with cardboard/bondo over it, and possibly more padding on the inside. Goggles they make for airsoft and paintball are plastic. I personally wouldnt want to be getting shot at with something that can punch through fiberglass that easily. That armor would certainly stop a paintball. As for the helmet you could probably build it over a certified mask/goggles, especially if you put together your pep around it and then do fiberglassing.

Cool idea though, you'll look B.A. playin airsoft or paintball in an ODST suit.

yea its going to chew threw bondo the best thing to do is put a layer of smoothcast 300 on the inside and sand the paper till you reach the plastic and youll need to make the pieces a bit big so you can do this and have it still fit and so you can make it a pretty thick layer of plastic so it doesnt crack or chip

@SpartanG
That sounds like an amazing idea!!. Not sure about the use of aluminum foil, though. It will more then likely take a bit more then that, but it may just work.

@box o crayons
When I said money wasted was no issue that didn't mean that I had groves of money trees! :D And your idea would certainly cost a lot. But it is a viable option and one to be considered. (If I was using pep. But I am using cardboard to make the armor now.) ;)

As for the ANSI eye protection and the helmet, I have found the answer! Make the helmet, put your own visor in it, and wear ANSI rated safety glasses under the helm. That violates no known rules or laws that I can think of. What do you guys think?

perfectly legal but why goggles if you have a whole helm the goggles might be a bit annoying just wear approved safety glasses and using smoothcast isnt that expensive a halfgallon of a knockoff brand is about 50 bucks

box o crayons said:
perfectly legal but why goggles if you have a whole helm the goggles might be a bit annoying just wear approved safety glasses and using smoothcast isnt that expensive a halfgallon of a knockoff brand is about 50 bucks
not to go off topic but what brand is that?

I dont want to spoil your fun here but it would be better if you were to not wear the helmet while playing.
1. Saves the helmet from damage
2. Helmets are much harder to breathe in then masks/goggles
3. You still look totally bad@$$ in the rest of the armor.

Cool Idea good luck.

not trying to argue, Just wanted to point out one thing here.
Theron 113 said:
@bf
You have a good point, but you fail to take into account the fact that Kevlar works by flexing and catching the projectile and not letting it penetrate. If Kevlar was held rigid, it would be a mediocre defense against anything. However, we could probably argue back and forth for hours on whether or not it would work, but that is not what I want. There are plenty of threads that do that already.
Helmets made with DuPont™ Kevlar® meet demanding requirements for protection against a wide range of threats, including bullets, shrapnel and fragmentation. State-of-the-art helmets made with Kevlar®, like the U.S. Army Advanced Combat Helmet, absorb 20% more kinetic energy than the Personal Armor System, Ground Troops (PASGT) helmets made with Kevlar® they are replacing, and offer protection from submachine gun bullets. Rigorous impact testing shows helmets made with Kevlar® have superior structural integrity to enhance survivability in ballistic and non-ballistic impact. And The PASGT helmet offers twice the ballistic impact energy absorbing capacity of the steel helmets they replaced. Developed in collaboration with the U.S. Army’s Natick RD&E Center in 1978, PASGT helmets made of Kevlar® have been produced for military personnel around the world. because they are lighter, they can help improve mobility and reduce fatigue.

I wouldn't call that a mediocre defense against anything at all. So if cost is not an issue to you I have an idea for you to look into.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/

I have seen the west system epoxies used with kevlar, carbon fiber and wood to make everything from yachts to super strong light weight canoes, custom motorcycle and car bodies. Expensive but tough and durable. Hope this helps you out good luck and keep us updated.

You didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. ;) I don't wish to be offensive, and you do have a good point. However, it is not JUST the Kevlar that makes those helmets strong. If I were to fiberglass Kevlar, it would not be anywhere near as strong as the helmets you are referring to. I will admit that I was wrong and that there are ways in which rigid Kevlar may be used, but not for my purposes. :) Does that sound fair to all involved in this "argument"?

In the interest of steering this topic back in line, can anyone suggest some tactical ideas?

the two side pockets next to the lower middle chest piece could have an open top and you could put M4 or G36 mags in their probably two M4 in each and one G36 a piece and for the knees those would be knee guards along with the elbow and the helmet could have a headset leading to a radio

I was thinking of using those pouches as carry-alls. That includes magazines because it would hold them quite well. I am considering cannibalizing a walkie-talkie I have for the COM set. :eek: I also have knee pads but I didn't think of elbow pads. :oops:

then i helped some :D and for the body i think you should scratch build it out of cloth so its sturder and more game accurate cause the body chest file is a bit off

Great idea, I've thought of doing this with some low res models so I'm not taking forever to do them. Fiber glassing should work fine just do at least one combo of laying down matting and then while it's wet applying fiberglass cloth over it. This is the tried and true method that is used for fiber glassing boat hulls and should be able to withstand an airsoft pellet or paintball. (And who the **** would be dumb enough to fire a metal BB at someone else anyways?) If you find this just doesn't cut it then just add more fiber glassing to it. I see no reason to try and do anything out of kevlar as the cost just wouldn't be worth it and it's not like you're using bullets or anything. As for the helmet either go with the idea of building a helmet around an approved helm or just go without. And you don't need to really build a full helm either if you're adding the mask and doing it essentially from scratch. Enough of my few cents though, off to relax and try and get rid of this damn cold!

my idea is, before you go and waste a ton of money of a whole set of armor. make a test piece.

you said you were making this of cardboard and hot glue to later be fiberglassed right? well make a small plate and shoot it.

i'm assuming here that you want this suit to stand up for a while, not a one time thing? well if that's true a ton of small dents all over would suck.

i'm a hard core airsofter. so i know a lot about aegs and i've seen a few that have no trouble punching through certain "durable" materials, especially at close range.

knew a guy once who'd hopped up a Tokyo Marui p90 so much i personally witnessed it punch through some scrap sheet metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back