Odst - Trooper's Thread Of Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the best part of that last pic? I was totally button mashing.

It was great meeting you. I felt a little odd at the Bungie party at first, mostly from moving around in that bulky costume and it was raining...but the bungie guys were really friendly and the free drinks were great. Luckily my sister was able to get to the bar better than I could. =P

Thanks for all the awesome pics. Hopefully at next year's PAX my buddy will be with me to be a photographer and gopher. =P

In the third picture you can see my watch about to get lost. Luckily it got stuck to a piece of velcro on my thigh piece and I found it hours later when I was undressing at home, after feeling sad that I had lost it (That watch has been to Iraq and back, so it's got sentimental value)

I do tend to ramble a lot, and there are huge gaps where I completely go to just working, not taking pictures, mostly when I'm just redoing pep/glassing on new pieces. I am glad to hear you guys are getting some stuff out of it though. As always, if you have questions about how I went about something, feel free to post here or PM me.

@Omega7, wait too long and he'll soon grow out of it! Anyways, on the topic of scale, most of the stuff was fine default for me. It seems to be mostly the newer "ODST game" pieces that need fixing. The WETA chestplate is the right size, but the "ODST Game" one needs to be sized up a bit (though the default worked out nice for my sister's Dare-chestplate). I prefer the WETA-derived chestpiece though. If you modify it a bit to undo WETA's inaccuracies, like what SavvyTank did for the one I'm wearing, it looks a lot more fitting than Nightshades (again, no offense meant to him, he did great work off of only concept art)

@ MW Immortalking Sorry, but Seattle's a bit far to be able to provide direct assistance. I'll help you as much as I can from the forums though. =P Hopefully by next PAX I can see your results in person!

Edit: We're on Joystiq!

paxcos096.jpg

http://www.joystiq.com/photos/pax-2009-the-costumes/2270063/

paxcos0925.jpg

http://www.joystiq.com/photos/pax-2009-the-costumes/2270032/

paxcos0933.jpg

http://www.joystiq.com/photos/pax-2009-the-costumes/2270031/

whats the sizing on the DARE/Recon helm?

is it rescaled at all?

it looks good in place, just wondered if it had to be modded

The Recon helm is made by Ithica, so you'll have to get in touch with him for scaling.

gotcha, PM has been sent off, thanks for the quick reply! looks like my GF is close to the same size as the Dare girl pictured.. 4'11" and about 95lbs

Those are so AWESOME! Every piece of those suits are so cool. Great Job, Looking forward to your next project :)

If I could make a suggestion, the recon suit would look slightly better if you wore like a balaclava or something to cover the neck up, again it's just a suggestion I hope I didn't offend you.

Again that is the best ODST and RECON suits I have ever seen. Keep Up The Good Work!

Trooper you have one of the best ODST suits that if seen. soo much better than your MK I ODST you built.

Savvy

bilsy28 said:
Those are so AWESOME! Every piece of those suits are so cool. Great Job, Looking forward to your next project :)

If I could make a suggestion, the recon suit would look slightly better if you wore like a balaclava or something to cover the neck up, again it's just a suggestion I hope I didn't offend you.

Again that is the best ODST and RECON suits I have ever seen. Keep Up The Good Work!

Hah, no offense. My friend points it out constantly. I have a cut up T-shirt that I use to cover up the neck until I get something more game-accurate (use the sleeve as a neck gater). My sister wasn't as keen on constantly pulling it up though. =P

And thanks Savvy. A lot of it is thanks to the nice pieces you helped me out with. They add a lot.

Armyofone: The toy gun is called the Buzzbee Plasma Blaster I believe. It's available at ToysRUs for around $20, and KMart for a mere $6 I hear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trooper0621 said:
3661482691_65e4433287.jpg

3661483185_5f132d6d5b.jpg

3662283848_b9552cdcfd.jpg

The "visor" is a placeholder I ran across. It is from one of those visor/sunglasses things that little old asian ladies wear that are entirely unsafe. My mother is one of those little old asian ladies. She finally switched to sunglasses, thank god. Staring through a curved piece of plastic while driving was not the brightest basis for an invention. Anyways, no cool curve, but it works well enough for now so I can hold off on figuring that out until some later point. Right now I just want to get the various armor pieces done.

I need to finish rounding out the lower-front part of the helmet and form the little bump on the bottom there. After that it's touching up all the little gaps and holes and plenty of sanding. Fun. After that, detailing. I get to carve out all the little lines with a dremel, and do some other stuff (got some ideas for using weather stripping for some details. Anyways, hopefully by the end of tomorrow I'll have this thing all shaped out and detailed!

Edit: And no, I did not glue the visor in already. I do many silly, stupid things, but not that silly!

OH MY FREAKING GOD!!! I was going nuts over how im going to do my ODST visor and you just dropped this little piece of happiness right in front of me! when me and my family went to china, we got a few of those sun visors and its been sitting in my room with no usage whatsoever. Now i have a visor to my helmet AND a use for my useless hat thingy! Thanks!

Your armor looks sick man! Its awesome that you got a chance to hang with the guys at bungie. So what are your working on now. Mods to this armor or a new one?

Right now I'm swamped with school. I've pretty much dropped off the face of the planet. =P Finished up a paper today, so I took some time off to respond to some messages. I just finished painting SavvyTank's helmet for the Child's Play Charity dealio:

4009034109_6558de0941.jpg

4009034817_322bd672d8.jpg

4009035361_8af03550d6.jpg

Again, this is SavvyTank's ODST helmet, with Link's visor installed.

Not really an "Updat" as I didn't have any new stuff from last time, but here's some new pictures from Halloween:

4247182644_3e2ba41430_o.jpg

4247183216_1ceb2480cf.jpg
4246408335_f7b9667f0a_o.jpg

4246408467_f9a2f6e91f_o.jpg
4247182660_0940abea01_o.jpg

4246408977_38c328d21e.jpg
4246408711_9a695e5405.jpg

4246408499_a84d24144e_o.jpg
4246408451_af06dffe63_o.jpg

4247182864_c7ef54eaa5.jpg
4247182634_ccd57d0321_o.jpg

4247182736_83bcf8fc7f_o.jpg
4247182718_2cbc7465a0_o.jpg

4247182702_65bcfa8032_o.jpg
4247182764_a015ff6d76_o.jpg

It took a bit of a beating over Halloween...so I haven't really done much with anything lately.

I'm currently trying to get back into the hobby now....restructure my school work a bit so I have more free time. I'm pepping a new stomach piece now...going to make my own chest piece which should look similar to Savvy's. I just like to be able to say I made it all myself. :) New belt piece and crtoch plate...and then it'll be time to retackle those big pieces. Arms, torso, thighs, legs, and even the helmet. Hopefully by the time it's my turn to do the Member of the Month I'll be set to mold some pieces for someone. :) We'll see how school treats me this time around.

Trooper0621 said:
Right now I'm swamped with school. I've pretty much dropped off the face of the planet. =P Finished up a paper today, so I took some time off to respond to some messages. I just finished painting SavvyTank's helmet for the Child's Play Charity dealio:

4009034109_6558de0941.jpg

4009034817_322bd672d8.jpg

4009035361_8af03550d6.jpg

Again, this is SavvyTank's ODST helmet, with Link's visor installed.

hey dude where did you get that foam padding??

I got them from a temporary job I worked at. They had a bunch of leftover foam that was used for packing up electronics so I just snagged it before it got dumped in recycling.

Trooper0621 said:
I got them from a temporary job I worked at. They had a bunch of leftover foam that was used for packing up electronics so I just snagged it before it got dumped in recycling.

lols lucky...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back