Odst - Trooper's Thread Of Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trooper0621 said:
I should have taken a picture of me in my working suit...military respirator, military coveralls...hope my neighboors don't think I'm building a bomb or anything back here.

That being said, a big downside of this fancy military respirator...it sucks in heat...uber sucks.

Anyways, some pics of the helmet again...hasn't changed much. I can see a few slightly warped places I"ll have to fix up, but as you can tell from these shots, it's nothing too noticeable.

[attachment=10100:001.jpg]

[attachment=10101:002.jpg]

A job of the fiberglass job inside.

[attachment=10102:004.jpg]

[attachment=10103:005.jpg]

The dome came out the nicest. Go figure..it's the easiest part. :rolleyes/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes' />" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I got a can of the adhesive spray and it helped a little bit, but the biggest thing was just using smaller and smaller pieces so I didn't have to deal with corners as much. I think at the end I started to be a little too stingy with the resin though. As you can see there's actually a few dry ends I need to go over again.

If anyone's got any feedback on my fiberglassing, things I can work on, etc. I'd appreciate it. This is my practice helmet that I'm just trying to get up and running by late september. ;)/wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> Eventually I want to do teh Recon helm or newer ODST helm, so any ways you can see I can improve would be great.

I'm seeing a lot of random stray fibers floating around. Maybe this is from not using enough resin? The dome was done by dipping the fiberglass in resin and sticking it in place, while most of the lower portions were done with adhesive spray and a two now-deceased paintbrushes.

I'm going apply another coat of resin on the inside tomorrow morning, then go at it with a dremel after work. I'm going to cut out the visor, sand the inside a little bit so I don't have so many stray fibers poking around, and then maybe put an additional resin layer just so it's smoothed out a bit.

If you see anything glaringly wrong I'm about to do, let me know before tomorrow! ^^;

And now..time for sushi!

that turned out a lot better than mine did. sad face. i had to scrap mine and im starting over. feeling depressed about having to re pep it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks so AWESOME!

If you don't mind me asking, but about how long does it take to get to the stage your in in the pictures in the first post?

To get pepped and resined took me probably...a week and a half of off-and-on pepping..maybe an hour or so a night.

Love the armor! You did a great job on your first one and I look forward to seeing you complete these 3!

By the way, I am making a ODST Mickey costume too, and saw you had the pep file for his shoulder. I can't find it unless I missed it somewhere. Could you by any chance give me a link? Thanks, I would appreciate it.

MustangCobra69 said:
Love the armor! You did a great job on your first one and I look forward to seeing you complete these 3!

By the way, I am making a ODST Mickey costume too, and saw you had the pep file for his shoulder. I can't find it unless I missed it somewhere. Could you by any chance give me a link? Thanks, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the compliments man.

The CQ shoulder is located here:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15728&st=0

it's right at the top, with no picture so it's easy to miss.

Thank you very much! I saw that thread before but didn't realize that was the shoulder peice I was looking for. Keep up the awesome work!

Fuzzy picture...I'll take more tomorrow if time allows.

3839408880_838f6661d6.jpg

Primed and ready for a rush paint job.

3839409190_855a1b8763.jpg

Helmet getting redone. Got a nice new visor from link. It's a little different from my old one. It's a little more see-through. But I like the part where it fits properly and I especially love the part where it's not in the process of falling apart on me constantly.

3839410214_064795448d.jpg

And a little side project.

Almost quasi-done. Again, got rushed at the end for the visit to Dave's and for the newly announced ODST tour.

3841279218_e9cd263e36.jpg
3841279622_95d19a5f86.jpg

3841278748_9e97ab7c51.jpg

3840488939_ea18eb9d39.jpg

Time to go weather these babies. Expect an insuit picture either tonight or in the wee wee early morning hours before my flight to Texas.

Trooper0621 said:
Almost quasi-done. Again, got rushed at the end for the visit to Dave's and for the newly announced ODST tour.

Time to go weather these babies. Expect an insuit picture either tonight or in the wee wee early morning hours before my flight to Texas.

omg Trooper u are amazing it all looks wonderful and that the first CQ shoulder ive seen great job

Okay, so here's what I'm going to try and pack up in a bag and bring to Dave's, and it's also what I'm probably going to be wearing to the bungie ODST tour dealio.

Immediate things to do is to figure out a better system for attaching everything besides duct tape/velcro. However, I was limited on time/materials unfortunately. Something to work on over the weekend.

I'm uploading some videos now. I'm going to go back to packing, but here's some pics.

I realize I cut my head off in the last pic. Oh well...no time to put it back on. Gotta get packing for TX.

3842480090_bf7d9eee90.jpg
3842479496_4aa6e39b26.jpg

3842478932_4290266481.jpg
3842478264_3b5d5cf1ec.jpg

3841684735_a7972d8b25_b.jpg
3841683989_9ab78dd58e.jpg

3842475786_411bf40491_b.jpg

Edit:

Link to my Youtube page.

Videos are uploading now, so hopefully they'll finish fine on their own. I have a plane to catch so I can't keep an eye on them.

Macattack64 said:
Sick suit.

Did you see any bungie people? :p

Nope, though I don't follow bungie quite closely enough to recognize them on sight. It seemed most of the people were from the promotional company. It seems like most of the bungie people were just there for the local Seattle stop. No WETA helmets on display unfortunately.

Your armour looks AWESOME, I'm so jealous that it turned out so good and so quicky :D

How did you piece the 3-piece shoulders together and strap them on?

Hey Mate,

this is an outstanding sick lookin armor!!

well done, love the weathering u did on it, dry brushing hmm??

and also i love to see completed armor suits :)

regards

Psy

looks vary nice. the shins look better than i thought they would. did you end up repainting the chest after daves, because i cant rely tell if you dint.

hope to get some pics of you at the release all dressed up.

Savvy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back