Odst - Trooper's Thread Of Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
On strapping the three piece upper arm dealios:

3859612698_c007773eee.jpg

I basically set them up in the same way modern day kevlar pads are attached. I ran one piece of webbing along the entirety of the piece. The shape of them naturally restricts them from swaying left/right too much. One strap leads up to my vest to hold the thing up, then another set of straps is wrapped around my bicep to further keep the whole dealio from shifting around.

On painting:

I pretty much followed this tutorial.

Painting Tutorial

It's an excellent guide. Along with dry brushing, I did a little bit of black washing. I may eventually want to repaint everything because the gray stands out a bit much from teh black undersuit...or look into a gray undersuit.

Saavy:

I did not get a chance to repaint the chest.

Also, you're right about the mickey shoulder piece middle dealio being the same as the others. It was only different in the concept art, but the final bit was the same.

I'm also beginning to agree with you that the normal shoulder piece was scaled too largely. At the very least, it juts up way too high past the plane of the shoulder.

thanks for explaining about the webbing straps. Also, what did you use to attach the straps to the pads? because i looks like you just hot glued them on :p

An updated pic:

3869044705_d073aba045_b.jpg

Changes are:

Velcro added to keep the shotgun straps up high so they stop sinking down.

My old visor is now behind link's visor. This way I keep the nice clean shape of his visor, but the darker lens keeps my face completely blacked out.

T-shirt cut up to make a neck piece so i can cover up the neck a bit without putting on a whole balaclava.

Currently being completed for PAX:

New shoulder straps to attach to...

comm backpack. Will post pics of it later today.

Will also have sister's rough DARE stuff tomorrow to show hopefully. If I don't, it means I've fallen behind schedule.

But this is what I want to show, a video from AX. This was completely random. I was walking down the hall and I noticed a box following me...so we kept it up for half the hallway.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB2TPVB4qds[/media]

Your armor looks pretty damn good! I like it! Your shins look a bit different though, however, it still looks great! :) Your gear also looks like you would be hot in that! lol

2 Questions:

1) What did you use for the Shins? They look great.

2) What is the movement like? Are movements restricted like the Mk IV or can you actually move freely?

HAHA That video is epic!

What do you wear under the armour? I'm thinking of a black overall, but im not sure if it will look too baggy

Checked the link from Sierra092 and it made me think, you shall now be known as the ODST guy.

Unbelievably good armor, especially in the short amount of time you spent making it.

HaloGodess:

Yep, the shins are different. They're just baseball catcher's greaves because the actual shin pieces kept warping and I didn't feel like dealing with them at this point. I ordered some pieces from Link, but unfortunately unless they arrive today I won't have them in time for PAX. Oh well...And yes, it's quite hot in the suit!

Stig:

1) Baseball catcher's greaves with the kneepad velcroed on.

2) I can't say what it is like compared to some of the custom suits that use a lot of flex-foam pieces, but at AX I was definitely more maneuverable than the Rubie's Mk VI suit. Of course, I was also extremely stripped down at AX. It was a bit more clunky at the ODST tour, primarily because of the thigh pieces. Still, it's not too bad, since the chest pieces are broken up instead of being two big blocks. Also, Saavytank's WETA-shape derived chestpiece helped a lot since it's curved and gives more movement so I can actually reach over to my other shoulder vs. my old chestpiece.

Wired:

I wear a black flightsuit. I'm thinking of switching to a gray one, or else I probably need to make the rest of my armor pieces a darker shade of gray. They can be a bit baggy...we're running into that issue with my sister's flightsuit. I should have ordered extra-small! Oh well...nothing some safety pins can't temporarily fix up.

Thanks for the compliments and interest! Looking forward to what everyone's got planned for the ODST release. I'll have to step it up a bit by then. =P

HaloFreakX said:
Stig, I don't think he's done a Mark 6 yet.

I didn't mean HIS Mk VI, I meant Mark 6 overall.

The chest piece is huge and covers almost all of your torso, Unlike the ODST chest which is a single plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shaymin Sky said:
That SMG looks sweet. Did you make it?

The SMG is made by NewSpartanCreator. Shoot him a PM if you're interested in getting one of your own. :)

Thanks again for the compliments.

Trooper0621 said:
On strapping the three piece upper arm dealios:

3859612698_c007773eee.jpg

I basically set them up in the same way modern day kevlar pads are attached. I ran one piece of webbing along the entirety of the piece. The shape of them naturally restricts them from swaying left/right too much. One strap leads up to my vest to hold the thing up, then another set of straps is wrapped around my bicep to further keep the whole dealio from shifting around.

On painting:

I pretty much followed this tutorial.

Painting Tutorial

It's an excellent guide. Along with dry brushing, I did a little bit of black washing. I may eventually want to repaint everything because the gray stands out a bit much from teh black undersuit...or look into a gray undersuit.

Saavy:

I did not get a chance to repaint the chest.

Also, you're right about the mickey shoulder piece middle dealio being the same as the others. It was only different in the concept art, but the final bit was the same.

I'm also beginning to agree with you that the normal shoulder piece was scaled too largely. At the very least, it juts up way too high past the plane of the shoulder.

huh kinda look like my old rig before i had to fiber glass them together from support problems btw RUSH JOBS FTW !!!!

P8040009.jpg

rvb18 said:
huh kinda look like my old rig before i had to fiber glass them together from support problems btw RUSH JOBS FTW !!!!

it looks like they traded helmets.

Savvy

ya we did look funny, looked like a ying yang thing lol but nope thats my helmet and thats loess's h3 helmet. just and odd moment that we both had to use the back up helms lol.

Backpack

3886680494_edcafceca2.jpg

3886680154_3eaeb7d8c7.jpg

Dare

3885882583_43699b7e67_b.jpg

And the whole kit and kaboodle ready to go in the morning.

3885882431_11639c76e5_b.jpg

Here's hoping I'm not spitting parts like I usually am, but the duct tape and emergency repair kit will be handy.

Full suit pics tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back