Official pepakura scaling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I'm really, really, really sorry if this was covered already, but I'm about to run out the door for an appointment and only made it to about page 8 of the thread and am hoping for an answer when i come back.

When I open up the scaling settings in Pep Designer its reading as 0.253260, and the dimensions are in mm, do I just need to move the decimal point to make it accurate or is something wrong with the way I'm going about doing this? I'm working on Flying Squirrels HD helm and I'm a 5'11, 195lb man so I was going to use the 25.0497907 scale for 71". I just wanted to make sure I scale it right first before I get too deep into the pep work and find out its too big or too small. Thanks!

Frizzlefry said:
WARNING, THIS IS ONLY FOR FRAZ'S MJOLNIR PEP FILES. DON'T PM ME THAT SOME OTHER FILE DOESNT SCALE RIGHT, THATS NOT WHAT THIS IS MADE FOR.

Here we go peeps.

This should work for the most part, if you have a normal sized body like Chief it should work for sure. But if you are a bit chunky so to speak, or the oposite which would be a bit of a rail (aka, that sexy girl Sean Bradley ;-) ), you will probably want to change the sizing a bit more or less to make sure your limbs and chest fit.

I'm not getting behind the formula because it's a waste of time. It seems no one cares how the math works just as long as it works. So here's what you do.

Add up your height in inches. There is 12" to a foot. We'll use my hieght for the example. I am 5'11" which equals 71 inches.

Divide that by 86: 71/86 = .82558

Multiply that number times the scale it currently is, 30.342: 30.342*0.82558 = 25.04979

Now in Pepakura, go into 2dPatternWindow and select "Scale Up/Down by specifying value"

Under scale, put in the new scale (for this equazion its 25.04979). Do this for all of your pieces to be symmetrical.

One thing to keep in mind
The size of the scale that is in use before you edit it is from the base of the ground to the top outside of MC's helmet. You don't really want the top of your head to be touching the top of the inside of the helmet if you expect it to fit right. So you may want to add two or three inches to your actual hieght before doing the math. This may help other areas as well, where it could come through a bit tight.

Feel free to ask any questions about how it's done here. But I would appreciate it if the PM's for me to scale their armor for them would stop. If you can't do this math (we're not in school, you can use a calculator), I can't help you.

Hey im new but im still pretty sure im doing this right but when I do it the parts end up 1-6 in tall

Last edited by a moderator:
Dh748 said:
Hey im new but im still pretty sure im doing this right but when I do it the parts end up 1-6 in tall
The pieces need to be measured and inputted in Pep Designer in centimeters

Hey man, basically the same thing happened to me, only I am using crackheads files. Great work by the way, crackhead. Anyway, I had an Idea for finding the scale, it goes:
Height of the Master Chief
----------------------------- = Find the decimal
Your Height

After this, i would just put this into the scale box, and that should scale everything for you. Of course, you try this at your own risk, it might not work. I am pretty sure it will though, because I talked with my math teacher and he seemed to agree that it was a deffinit possibility.

One question though: in crackheads files, how tall is the master chief(in inches)? Because in my pepakura designer version, it is in mm.

Ral Partha said:
The pieces need to be measured and inputted in Pep Designer in centimeters

ok thanks but where does depth and width come in to it and how in cm it says millimeters so???
10mm to a cm right? And while were on it how do you scale add ons like chests and arms?

Dh748 said:
ok thanks but where does depth and width come in to it...
They will be adjusted by PD automatically.

...and how in cm it says millimeters so???
10mm to a cm right?
Yup.

And while were on it how do you scale add ons like chests and arms?
That really depends on which pep file you intend to use.

OK. I've gone thru this post twice now and I can't find a definite scale; I'm trying to build the Halo 2 ODST from the Pep Index: http://halocostuming.wikia.com/wiki/Pepakura_File_Index

I can't find out how to scale it down and I really suck @ math, so... :whistle: ...If u guys could help... :rolleyes

If it helps, I'm 5'3", head is 23cm around, shoe size is 9. And I guess I'm gonna have to size the torso higher since I'm a girl? o_O

Hey all, since the person above me asked I will elaborate on the question:

Initially, I just wanted to know how to appropriately scale Belakor's permutation models, specifically the recon chest piece. But as they were all modeled by the same person is it safe to assume that they can all be scaled similarly? Also, are belakor's files compatible with the chest perm size tester that's floated around the site for a while? Any and all help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Is it possible for me to scale my armor in the free Pep Viewer? I cannot figure out where to alter the scale, even after reading FrizzleFry's tutorial.

jareyes said:
Hey all, since the person above me asked I will elaborate on the question:

Initially, I just wanted to know how to appropriately scale Belakor's permutation models, specifically the recon chest piece. But as they were all modeled by the same person is it safe to assume that they can all be scaled similarly? Also, are belakor's files compatible with the chest perm size tester that's floated around the site for a while? Any and all help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
For the first part of the question, I wish I could say yes but we know that that's not necessarily true in every case.

For the second part, I suggest that you use the size tester that came with FS's latest chest armor model. In addition, this model contains all the chest perms (except the scout?) and I believe Belakor's perms were used (someone correct me on this point if I'm wrong).

MurphMcManusBS said:
Is it possible for me to scale my armor in the free Pep Viewer? I cannot figure out where to alter the scale, even after reading FrizzleFry's tutorial.
In a word, no. You're going to need the Designer to do any scaling.

Hey Ral, sorry but I have another followup question. The size tester you speak of is the pep piece that's just kind of a long strip-looking piece with some folds in it? I think the file is Chest_Perm_Sizer.pdo? If that's it, how does it correlate to a scale with the chest piece? I understand you measure from the two indent thingies on the sides of the Mk.vi but the fit you get from that, do you carry over the scale or something? Thanks in advance.

jareyes said:
Hey Ral, sorry but I have another followup question. The size tester you speak of is the pep piece that's just kind of a long strip-looking piece with some folds in it? I think the file is Chest_Perm_Sizer.pdo? If that's it, how does it correlate to a scale with the chest piece?
That's not the one. That long strip is meant to be laid on top of the Mk VI chest armor and once you find the match, you can use its scale number to re-size Belakor's perms. The one I'm referring to is built into FS's latest chest armor file. Simply go to 3DModelWindow --> Show Object List and you will see the size tester (listed as TORSO_SIZE_TESTER_01). Highlight this one and de-select everything else and then click "Close."

jareyes said:
I understand you measure from the two indent thingies on the sides of the Mk.vi but the fit you get from that, do you carry over the scale or something? Thanks in advance.
Indent thingies. I use the distance between my arm pits to determine the scale but that's another matter.

Anyway, once you have gotten the correct scale for the size tester, you can use that number (the scale number, not the assembled height!) on all the chest perms that came with it.

Okay Ral, I downloaded Designer and I am following the instructions to scale, but the armor pieces are ending up much too small. I calculated my scale number at 26.4610. I am 6'1" and I gave it a few inches for slack. When I scale to that figure, the pieces look like they would fit a child, but definitely not someone my size.

MurphMcManusBS said:
Okay Ral, I downloaded Designer and I am following the instructions to scale, but the armor pieces are ending up much too small. I calculated my scale number at 26.4610. I am 6'1" and I gave it a few inches for slack. When I scale to that figure, the pieces look like they would fit a child, but definitely not someone my size.
Don't take this the wrong way but the numbers that you mentioned don't mean squat to me. And also, you change the value of the assembled height of an individual piece, not its scale number (although this is more useful for scaling an armor set). Instead, tell me which armor piece you are making and which file you are using (and be specific with this one).

Does any body know what to use for the orange visor part??? :eek:

Also about the fore arms and stuff. I don't know if this will work, but measure your fore arm and use the scaling method that's mentioned on the first page.

The ODST Helm from SKGs thread fits pretty good. Seems a bit big, I can fit my hand in with my head,but I think its good. Once I added padding and fans/electronics it should be snug.

Frizzlefry said:
WARNING, THIS IS ONLY FOR FRAZ'S MJOLNIR PEP FILES. DON'T PM ME THAT SOME OTHER FILE DOESNT SCALE RIGHT, THATS NOT WHAT THIS IS MADE FOR.

Here we go peeps.

This should work for the most part, if you have a normal sized body like Chief it should work for sure. But if you are a bit chunky so to speak, or the oposite which would be a bit of a rail (aka, that sexy girl Sean Bradley ;-) ), you will probably want to change the sizing a bit more or less to make sure your limbs and chest fit.

I'm not getting behind the formula because it's a waste of time. It seems no one cares how the math works just as long as it works. So here's what you do.

Add up your height in inches. There is 12" to a foot. We'll use my hieght for the example. I am 5'11" which equals 71 inches.

Divide that by 86: 71/86 = .82558

Multiply that number times the scale it currently is, 30.342: 30.342*0.82558 = 25.04979

Now in Pepakura, go into 2dPatternWindow and select "Scale Up/Down by specifying value"

Under scale, put in the new scale (for this equazion its 25.04979). Do this for all of your pieces to be symmetrical.

One thing to keep in mind
The size of the scale that is in use before you edit it is from the base of the ground to the top outside of MC's helmet. You don't really want the top of your head to be touching the top of the inside of the helmet if you expect it to fit right. So you may want to add two or three inches to your actual hieght before doing the math. This may help other areas as well, where it could come through a bit tight.

Feel free to ask any questions about how it's done here. But I would appreciate it if the PM's for me to scale their armor for them would stop. If you can't do this math (we're not in school, you can use a calculator), I can't help you.

and also watch out for the fact that head size and shape can be more unique then your body shape so scale the armor minus the helmet seperately from the helmet for example i have a huge head and i thought it didnt matter so i scaled all of it together made the helmet realized it wouldnt fit so i scaled it all up oops now i look like a giant midget bobble head in my armor so yay i get to redo all of it

PBCR "Also about the fore arms and stuff. I don't know if this will work, but measure your fore arm and use the scaling method that's mentioned on the first page"

ii tryed that also you have to factor in the little protrusion that comes out near your elbow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back